Want to increase my recurve draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to increase my recurve draw weight

I've been shooting my Samick Sage daily for the past couple of months and decided to try going up in poundage. I had started with the 40# limbs to work on my form as well as to bare shaft tune as accurately as possible. I feel that my arrow groups and form are good. Currently I am shooting about 33-35# with the 40# limbs because my draw is 25". I went to the 50# limbs and it still feels comfortable but I do notice that I shake when held back for 3 seconds or longer.

My question is would shooting 33# be enough to kill lets say a 100# hog? Or should I continue to practice with the 50# limbs and adjust to the slightly heavier poundage? Also, would I have to change my arrow setup? I checked the Beman chart and it seems with the increased bow weight I am still using the proper shafts. Arrows are Beman MFX 500's, 29" with 175 grain field points which seem to fly good for me at both weights (3x5" feathers). I have hopes of getting my first trad kill, hopefully on a hog soon. I also have some 2 blade Zwickey broadheads that I plan to hunt with.
    Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Razor sharp broadhead and shot placement. The most poundage one can shoot accurately. Pigs are very tough and enduring creatures, that said, razor sharp broadhead and shot placement. I feel your pushing minimal on poundage but ok.

Comment

I just got a new Bow Z7Magum and pick up some new Flatline Superlite 340# at 30.5Shaft the bow is set up at 66LBs. with my old Arrow ICS Hunter i was Shooting at 286fps. going to find out the fps is on the new Arrows today at the Bow Shop. here in San Antonio,TX

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
        Razor sharp broadhead and shot placement. The most poundage one can shoot accurately. Pigs are very tough and enduring creatures, that said, razor sharp broadhead and shot placement. I feel your pushing minimal on poundage but ok.
        This is a good post, and I agree. You can kill a 100 lb pig with a 33 lb draw weight if the broadhead is sharp and you put it in the right place.

That being said, I would continue to work with the heavier weight, it sounds like you are on the right track and doing well.

The Zwickeys are an excellent choice. Remember that even if the shafts are good for both weights, things like weight of tip, lenght of arrow, etc will effect the spine. Make sure they are still flying well and you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
          Originally posted by Chunky View Post
          This is a good post, and I agree. You can kill a 100 lb pig with a 33 lb draw weight if the broadhead is sharp and you put it in the right place.

That being said, I would continue to work with the heavier weight, it sounds like you are on the right track and doing well.

The Zwickeys are an excellent choice. Remember that even if the shafts are good for both weights, things like weight of tip, lenght of arrow, etc will effect the spine. Make sure they are still flying well and you are good to go.
          Thank you for the advice. I think I will continue to practice with the 50# limbs, although I am only pulling about 43# because of my short draw length. I'm sure it will get easier the more I practice.

Comment

push ups are the best exercise to increase your draw weight

Comment

Bowtech, with your 25" draw length, you may want to stop putting more cash into that Samick. As I understand it, and if $$$ isn't that much of an issue, you can get a custom bow setup to the draw weight you want and your draw length. May be something to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                Bowtech, with your 25" draw length, you may want to stop putting more cash into that Samick. As I understand it, and if $$$ isn't that much of an issue, you can get a custom bow setup to the draw weight you want and your draw length. May be something to look into.
                I see your point and I am looking down the road and getting a custom bow. I actually got a great deal on the Samick from a fellow TBHer and bought the 40# limbs and broadheads from 3Rivers Archery. I also bought the arrows from my local pro shop. But I plan on recouping my money on a few animals with this Samick before upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                  I see your point and I am looking down the road and getting a custom bow. I actually got a great deal on the Samick from a fellow TBHer and bought the 40# limbs and broadheads from 3Rivers Archery. I also bought the arrows from my local pro shop. But I plan on recouping my money on a few animals with this Samick before upgrading.
                  Good thinking!

Comment

Buy a Bow fit archery exerciser comes in 3 sizes light, medium, and heavy. I used ths to get up to shooting a 100 pound hill longbow. They cost about 35 to 40 dollards and are great to improve archery muscels.

Comment

Take a simple loop of rubber tubing, or a stretch band tied in a knot, and loop it over your upper limb. That will add 10-15# (depending on the band/tubing) to your draw weight.

Then do SPT's (specific physical training) as prescribed by Ki Sik Lee on his website kslinternationalarchery.com and you will be able to increase your draw weight to the point where you can comfortably hold the weight you want.

This is how competitive archers train to increase their draw weight.

John

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                        X