Feeder pen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder pen question

Planning on building feeder pens this spring but can't decide on whether to use 34" or 50" hog panels.

There are both hogs and cattle on my lease.
    I'm planning on putting at t post every 8 feet. And using 12-16 panels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used the 34" in a circle and it works great. The circular shape makes the panels stronger in my opinion.

Comment

go 34

Comment

Yep, 34"

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          We used the 34" in a circle and it works great. The circular shape makes the panels stronger in my opinion.
          Another reason for making them circular is that a dominate buck cannot get another buck in a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
            Bingo.

The bigger diameter the better. If you're using 16 foot panels you'll be okay but I wouldn't go any smaller than 12 panels.

Comment

We use the 50" because we had A BUNCH layin around. We cut one down to about 30" to allow fawns easier acces. Rectangle shaped and the are all 80'x114'

Comment

34 inch in a circle, it will practically stand on its own if you overlap the panels by about two feet.

Comment

I used 34" and have one tight strand of barb wire at 40inches. We have some cows that will jump if to short. I made mine bigger this year, I think about 16 panels or so. It is big and seems like more deer go in it since the upgrade.

Comment

We wire all the panels together first. Position the pen the way you want it. Then drive t post and wire the pen down.

Comment

What kind of cattle? Stockers or cow/calf? If it is the landowners cow/calf then I would use 34" panels. If it is a lease pasture then I would do 50" panels and cut down to 40" at first to see what happens. If you don't have hogs you can cut small access door into a few of the panels to allow fawns to get in. I had a bull that was jumping or laying over the top of my 34" panels so I switched to 50" and cut down 4 out of 8 panels to 40". Deer were in the pen that night. No more cattle problems but small pigs can get through the larger squares on the 50" panels.

Comment

My research told me that at least a 60' diameter pen was optimal. Round for sure. Use the 50" panels and cut down a couple of easy access spots where you'd like the animals to enter and exit. Wire it up tight. Good luck.

Comment

Can't use barb wire as part of the ranchers requirements on feeder pen usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

34 -12 panels or bigger in a circle and overlap the panels on each end two squares. The T post goes in the middle of the 2 overlapped squares. You only have to tie off the T post and panel overlapping on the outside of the circle. The hogs can't get to the inside overlap. We only use T post on the overlaps not in the middle of panels. Never had an issue with cows or hogs getting in or over.

Comment

The 34" hog panels are plenty good. But, after reading one of your later statements about the rancher not allowing barbwire not sure how to do it.
                              For years the method that has worked for many is to use the 34" panels with a strand of 2 or 4 point barbwire about 2-4 inches above the panels to allow the deer to still be able to jump over and get into the feed pen. Bigger diameter the better, with t-posts driven and tied in at variable spacing.

Comment

Working...
                              X