crappie fishing etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crappie fishing etiquette

Let's say you put out a massive brush pile in a public lake, and there is a boat sitting on it fishing. You pull up and anchor about 50 yds away from the other boat at the edge of the brush pile. Dude in boat already sitting there gets upset and has words with you because he thinks you are too close. So my question, when crappie fishing, how close is too close? Does the fact that you put the brush out make a difference on whether you should stay and fish or move on after guy gets upset?

fish it, it is a public lake.

Comment

We usually try to stay 100 yds from any other boats when fishing. Doesn't matter what we're going after.

No sense in getting mad about someone being a little closer though.

Comment

I think 50 is pretty good if crappie fishing

Comment

Doesn't matter who put it out, once it's there, it's public use for anyone who finds it. I personally wouldn't get that close, BUT, no one is crappie fishing and casting 50 yards. So he shouldn't have gotten bent imo

Comment

There's a lot of *****holes on the lakes now days and seems to be more and more. That's just bs him wanting to say ur too close and you're 50 yards away. That's not close at all. Sounds like he needs to be fishing some private water somewhere!

Comment

50yds apart and fishing the same brush pile? Thats one big *** brush pile.
              But no, that is not too close. Especially when you are fishing straight up and down.

Comment

It's tough to deal with after all your work to set some brush piles but they are public property once they are released into the public waters. IMO too close is where his cast toward your boat can't contact your cast toward his boat (approx two casts away). Just move on and don't make a big deal of it, maybe the other guy isn't catching and won't come back. Don't know if you did but don't mark your brush piles except on your GPS, makes them harder to find, and sink them when no one is around! Good luck and post pics of your catches.

Comment

Doesn't matter who put the brush there... it's a public lake and anyone can fish where they want.
                  Distances, like the folks involve, will vary so there's not really a rule.

Comment

Ehh that is plenty room, especially since you made the structure. I would have yelled back go pound sand!

Comment

If it was me I would move to another pile. I've put out several piles but found many more that others have done. At the most I might troll over and ask if he's doing any good. Mention that I put that pile out. Imo once it's in the water it's community property.

Comment

I always try to leave enough distance so that the other boat doesn't get sprayed when the dynamite goes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would hope 50 yards would be more than enough room to drop a minnow straight down. I think other factors like rolling up slow so your wake doesn't disturb others and keeping the noise level down is probably more important. Who set the brush pile is a non-issue, as others have said it's part of the public fishery now. What were those coordinates again...?

Comment

We call it "Nut Riding"😊

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                              I always try to leave enough distance so that the other boat doesn't get sprayed when the dynamite goes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Yep. Good rule of thumb they need to be at least as far as you can throw on the other side. Also people seem to like it when you come in blazing and then just kill it on top of the spot. Instead of slowing down and idling in.

My boat only has two speeds; WOT and broken.

At least this is what I observe most fisherman do these days while on the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X