No announcement yet.

Level of the Brazos in Waco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't imagine anyone swimming with the risk of floating debris in the water. The lake is closed also. Good luck either way.

Comment

Originally posted by b1gwes View Post
      First timer over here! Very excited and a bit nervous as well haha!! Are you a seasoned vet?! I’ll be driving in Saturday around the same timeframe. Hopefully we’ll hear something sooner than later. Looking at the bib numbers there’s quite a few people from around country attending, seems as though they should have already said something? Hoping for no cancelations though as I want to get the “full experience” [emoji1419]

Not a pro by far (I’m slow and old) but I’ve done a few. I hate to see them call the swim for your first, but I’ve raced when they should have and didn’t and trust me it’s better to swim another day.

Typically WTC (IronMan) waits till the last minute to announce anything but we should know Saturday. Doesn’t sound promising.

It’ll still be a awesome race and you’ll have earned your medal! I’ll pm you my cell # give me a call and we can meet up at the expo. My bib is 1082.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It will be roaring for awhile. Once they quit letting water out of Whitney and Aquilla, they will open the gates at Waco. Last I checked, Waco was over 10’ above normal with more still coming down the north Bosque. That was probably last Friday. I highly doubt that you guys and gals get to swim this weekend.

Comment

More rain expected Tuesday, and PK is still letting out water as of Saturday. The Brazos watershed is soaked.

Comment

I keep up with the water on the Brazos almost daily. At this very moment, Whitney lake (above Waco on the Brazos where I hunt a great deal) is letting out 20,210 cubic feet per second and the lake is still rising. Lake Aquilla (also above Waco) is releasing 2,518 cfs on top of Whitney's release. That is pretty turbulent waters. I only expect Whitney to increase it's release. Lake Waco is releasing 3,807 cfs. But I'm not sure if that will be above the swim course or not. And being a former triathlete my self (1st in 1991, last in 2003), I'm sorry to say my bet is the swim will be cancelled . I used to fish below the dams all the time for stripers and cats. I do understand the power and energy of the water that is being released. I don't see a well trained man swimming across, only down river. And that's going to be dangerous.

Anyway, good luck to all if yall get to race. Stay focused, fueled, and hydrated.

Former President of Tri Cowtown Triathlon Club,

MikeB.

Comment

I'm in the measuring water business. I was in Waco last Friday looking at river bridge crossings for stream gaging purposes. This event was mentioned and I off the cuff said "what are y'all going to do tie the contestants off with a rope and let them swim upstream for 30-min and then drag them to the bank to continue their race?" Lots of water upstream that needs to get downstream in that river basin. I know its a bummer for the folks registered for the event, but hopefully the right decision is made for the swimming portion of the event.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
                I'm in the measuring water business. I was in Waco last Friday looking at river bridge crossings for stream gaging purposes. This event was mentioned and I off the cuff said "what are y'all going to do tie the contestants off with a rope and let them swim upstream for 30-min and then drag them to the bank to continue their race?" Lots of water upstream that needs to get downstream in that river basin. I know its a bummer for the folks registered for the event, but hopefully the right decision is made for the swimming portion of the event.
                Were you one of those guys standing on the hog creek bridge last week on 185 outside Crawford? I was wondering what was going on.

Comment

anyone know how long it will take to get to Hwy 290?

Comment

Originally posted by Tbull9 View Post
                    Were you one of those guys standing on the hog creek bridge last week on 185 outside Crawford? I was wondering what was going on.

Some of our staff was. They are measuring the flow (CFS).

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
                      anyone know how long it will take to get to Hwy 290?
                      water, earth science, hydrology, hydrologic, data, streamflow, stream, river, lake, flood, drought, quality, basin, watershed, environment, groundwater, groundwater

Comment

Article on KWTX - Channel 10 web site this morning regarding the event. It reads that the decision about whether to swim or not will not be made until maybe the morning of the event.

A decision about whether competitors will be able to swim in the swollen Brazos River won’t be made until close to race time as set up started Monday for the inaugural Ironman 70.3 Waco Triathlon.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                          Article on KWTX - Channel 10 web site this morning regarding the event. It reads that the decision about whether to swim or not will not be made until maybe the morning of the event.

A decision about whether competitors will be able to swim in the swollen Brazos River won’t be made until close to race time as set up started Monday for the inaugural Ironman 70.3 Waco Triathlon.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc
                          Doesn't surprise me a bit, they usually wait right up to the last minute to make the call. By reading and seeing all the info I think its safe to say we are probably not going to be swimming this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyhunter View Post
                            Doesn't surprise me a bit, they usually wait right up to the last minute to make the call. By reading and seeing all the info I think its safe to say we are probably not going to be swimming this weekend.
                            I looked this morning and they are still letting lots of water out of Lake Whitney and some out of Aquilla. I also read that Lake Waco is just holding patiently while they get Granbury, Whitney and Aqullia drained down, then Waco is going to dump a bunch of water into the Brazos.

If I was a betting man, I would bet no swimming portion Saturday unless they figure out a place to enter and exit a swim portion in and out of the lake.

Rwc

Comment

Taken from a FB post but Lake Waco Marina as of two days ago

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X