No announcement yet.

2018 Bosque / McLennan County Yearly Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little scouting of some new USACE land yesterday afternoon around the lake. Lake is so low that it was a challenge getting the boat into access of the areas I wanted to scout.

Found one summer bedding area with multiple beds but way to many active trails to get an ideal of direction of enter and exits. Need a rain to wash out the non active trails.

Jumped 2 deer, both fawns bedded in an area close to the water.

The most impressive sign I found was a trail leading to the lakes edge where deer were watering. Its a shame the people that don’t respect others stuff......... I would love to put a camera up on that spot to capture game watering, but I am sure someone would see it as a give away prize........

Last place I wanted to scout was just to difficult to get to and had to pull out and reevaluate my wants......

I tried to glass every oak in the area of my first scout area and all had many acorn buds, might be a slow October for central Texas hunters with Oaks.

God bless
    Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
      Did a little scouting of some new USACE land yesterday afternoon around the lake. Lake is so low that it was a challenge getting the boat into access of the areas I wanted to scout.

Found one summer bedding area with multiple beds but way to many active trails to get an ideal of direction of enter and exits. Need a rain to wash out the non active trails.

Jumped 2 deer, both fawns bedded in an area close to the water.

The most impressive sign I found was a trail leading to the lakes edge where deer were watering. Its a shame the people that don’t respect others stuff......... I would love to put a camera up on that spot to capture game watering, but I am sure someone would see it as a give away prize........

Last place I wanted to scout was just to difficult to get to and had to pull out and reevaluate my wants......

I tried to glass every oak in the area of my first scout area and all had many acorn buds, might be a slow October for central Texas hunters with Oaks.

God bless
      Rwc
      Hey man, let me know if you want to get together and scout or check out COE land. I want to try and hunt it this year some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good rains in both McLennan and Bosque Counties over the last 4 days. Buzz and I made a quick trip to the river grounds early Saturday morning and found just shy of an 1" of rain in the gauge. Not sure what yesterday yielded, but radar had my hopes way up.

Still knocking on wood and extremely grateful that our last picture of hogs was early July.

Deer still hammering feeders and hoping to get all the food plots broke up this week.

Starting to get a few older bucks, (older than 2.5) ha, trickling back in now that the milo has been harvested. Oh, and I hate coons. This group of coons life's are on a timer........nearing its end! And old Loop Side is still on the river feeder most every throwing. Still not 100% sure if he damaged his week side early during this growth or just dealt a bad set of cards.

Dad n Law welded up a new fire pit / grill / bean cooker / pig rotissaire and it turned out very well. Cant wait to break it in with some giant rib eyes and a small pig this fall.

God Bless and hope all are seeing giants.

Rwc
        Attached Files

Comment

Don't want to be accused of not warning you...... Most all acorn and native pecans that I glassed while on the river yesterday were loaded with acorns and pecans.

Rwc
          Attached Files

Comment

Got 90% of all my food plots broke up and about half fertilized and plowed in. Looked to have caught a rain late yesterday after we left.

Rwc
            Attached Files

Comment

Any of you that hunt in or around McLennan County, both Bar None Country Stores have corn for the next few days priced at 5.59 per 50 lbs bag.

Also I hear the Hewitt Ace Hardware store is matching that price.

Rwc

Comment

Looking good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well it looks like my September 1st plant date was a good hit. With the 7 straight days of moisture starting last week along with the hit and miss showers of this week, the plots are look healthy.
                  Even though there must be multiple signs posted all around my river grounds that reads "Only 2.5 year old bucks and younger are allowed" the plots are green and waiting on the arrival of some mature bucks.

River is finally running again and was nice to hear the sound of water running while dumping corn into a few feeders.

The great equalizers (Live Oak acorns and native pecans) started falling this week and some trees are letting go faster than others. I was surprised at the pecans falling still fully jacketed.

On a good note, one hog picture since 8/27/18 on my river plot camera. Now my Lane plot and feeder is another story, lots of hogs up there under those pecans.

Hope all have found a giant to hunt.

God Bless

Rwc
                  Attached Files

Comment

Did I mention lots of young ones???????? But the last couple of pictures has my interest up. If any remember, my 174 (Dog Bone buck) he started off very similar to this little guy when he was 2.5 / 3.5.............

Also, notice how much the grain jumped between 9/7 and 9/10.....

Rwc
                    Attached Files

Comment

Did I mention acorns???????????

I did find a couple big over cups (White acorns) that the deer are trading acorns for poop.

Enjoy and best of luck to the few McLennan and Bosque County hunters.

Rwc
                      Attached Files

Comment

Slow in Bosque County this morning. A couple does in Johnson grass patch is about it.

Rwc

Comment

Little Hog I killed Saturday morning, actually shot two but only found this one.

Rwc
                          Attached Files

Comment

Corn is piling up still under feeders with little activity. Surprised to have two sow's with belly's dragging the ground come in Friday evening. Was able to take them both out and found one that evening and the other with buzzards Saturday.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Notaguide; 10-08-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                              Corn is piling up still under feeders with little activity. Surprised to have two sow's with belly's dragging the ground come in Friday evening. Was able to take them both out and found one that evening and the other with buzzards Saturday.
                              Killed allot more than one pig with that sow harvest.... ha ha

Rwc

Comment

Yep....both I shot were about to drop. Have a big boar dominating the area I can't seem to get on even after a few late night sits. Hopefully he will slip up like his girls did.

Comment

Working...
                                X