No announcement yet.

Deer ducking arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to a study cited by Rick Barbee on one of these threads a couple of years ago: "a whitetail deer can drop 8 inches, turn 90 degrees, and be running full speed in 21 one-hundredths of a second."

Quick!

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      animals, just about any animal does not process info like a human does, which is why we tend to want to apply human standards to animals,, it is all we know

the simplest explanation i can give is this;

man hears something in the woods, he turns his head to identify the sound, lets say that something is a bow going off,, he hears then processes the sound with his brain,,,, that sounds like a bow,, i better duck

animals especially those like deer, not only have better hearing, they can turn their ears instead of having to turn their head,,, and they can work separately of each other.... a deer hears a sound, he jumps, swivels or drops at the sound (like a bow).. after he has moved they will then identify the sound and may or may not leave,,,, humans for all our intelligence are dim witted in the woods,,,
      man hears, looks then reacts,,,

a deer, hears , moves, then identifies... and for all the calculations you do, no one figures the correct arrow speed,,, because it is only 300 fps at the second( milli second) it leaves once so once it in free flight it continues to slow down every inch it travels,,, the speed of sound does not slow down, it remains pretty much constant ,,,,

now combine that type of reaction to the actual reflex speed of a deer!... we have probably all seen how fast a cat or dogs reflexes are , wild animals are still faster,,,
      They definitely jump first and often times don’t hang around for answers. I considered the 300fps slowing down immediately, but at 20 yards I clocked my arrow at just under 300 so I kept it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        According to a study cited by Rick Barbee on one of these threads a couple of years ago: "a whitetail deer can drop 8 inches, turn 90 degrees, and be running full speed in 21 one-hundredths of a second."

Quick!
        That’s crazy. I’d be interested to hear how he came up with that number or if it was an experience thing.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
          That’s crazy. I’d be interested to hear how he came up with that number or if it was an experience thing.
          Kind of a tertiary citation on my part. I'm saying that Rick quoted a study he saw. Just wanted to credit him as the source of the citation, not the one that conducted the actual study. However, anyone who knows Rick knows that he is very fastidious in technical details about anything he says or does.

Speculating now: it would be easy enough for researchers to time high-speed video footage of deer reacting to stimuli and then calculate and measure the results.

Comment

Quick!
            I don't know anything about this study or what it said, but I'd bet a buffalo nickel a deer can't be at full speed in .21 sec, let alone achieving the previous tasks prior to running

Comment

Speculating now: it would be easy enough for researchers to time high-speed video footage of deer reacting to stimuli and then calculate and measure the results.
              This would be pretty cool to see. Would help answer about their reaction time.

Comment

Yep there and gone about that fast

Comment

Never shoot at Alert Deer....Catch them in a relaxed mode...(Way easier said than done )

Comment

I'm with Bill...

Comment

I think you digging way too deep in this.

Just accept the fact that something’s it happens, some deer duck faster, and move on with your life.

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                        The deer drop down to load up and jump typically. They can only drop as fast as gravity will pull them down unless they have some way of pulling down?

I understand that gravity is an acceleration, but using the equation

Distance fallen= 0.5*gravity*t^2. Gives the distance a body will fall over a given time.

Like I said in an earlier post, this doesn’t take into account any twist or flex of the muscles like you are mentioning.

Muscles helps the drop. It’s not like they just “go limp”. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                          Never shoot at Alert Deer....Catch them in a relaxed mode...(Way easier said than done )
                          It's actually really easy most of the time.
                          Most of the time I wont shoot until they have been around for 15-20 min.

Comment

I have quite a few bow kills, and have never had this happen to me--but as much as I read about it, I suppose it is inevitable unless I quit hunting first--

Comment

Alert deer are quick. I shot a spike few years ago with my wifes xbow. 40 yard shot. it was broadside when I shot. It turned when it heard the xbow go off. Instead of behind the shoulder lung shot it took a bolt straight on in the neck. Lethal shot but def not where I was aiming.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                                I agree. This is a little more in depth but also from Winke.

Comment

Working...
                                X