Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    I got an e-mail from The Friends of Anderson. It did not include anything that said it was the PTA. It just said they were asking for donations. I didn't know who the heck they were. My son went to school here in Allen and even went to Anderson. Now his daughter goes there and this is the first time I ever heard about them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind donating for things like the school carnival, after school programs and things of that nature. Heck, I'll help them convert a closet into a "I'm A Little Snowflake Safe Room". But if it is an upgrade, update or any thing involving the actual school or school grounds, it needs to be paid with district money that we the citizens pay each year.
    And there you have it, from Goldeneagle himself. Get ready for the people that disagree with you to tell you what you were really thinking.

Comment

I got an e-mail from The Friends of Anderson. It did not include anything that said it was the PTA. It just said they were asking for donations. I didn't know who the heck they were. My son went to school here in Allen and even went to Anderson. Now his daughter goes there and this is the first time I ever heard about them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind donating for things like the school carnival, after school programs and things of that nature. Heck, I'll help them convert a closet into a "I'm A Little Snowflake Safe Room". But if it is an upgrade, update or any thing involving the actual school or school grounds, it needs to be paid with district money that we the citizens pay each year.
      From my understanding, the school district tax rate is actually two separate taxes. The Operations and Maintenance ("O&M") and the Interest and Sinking ("I&S"). The I&S rate is what funds most of the asset and infrastructure projects for school districts. The O&M is for general expenses and is capped by the state for most districts. Some things, of which I believe playgrounds are included, are lumped into the O&M budget because they are relatively small expenditures (when compared to schools) and they are short lived assets. The problem is that the O&M budget is usually very tight and 80% is typically payroll. This is why most schools go ahead and lump the big new playgrounds into the bond when the school is built, and are never touched again until a new school is built. Schools are also not permitted to use funds from one account for services in the other.

Comment

So much misinformation on this thread! I needed a Friday afternoon chuckle, thanks boys carry on!

Collin County is one of the most expensive counties to live in Texas, between the toll roads, increasing home valuations which in turn raise taxes amounts, and general keeping up with the Jones'es, the cost of living in Plano, Allen, Frisco, Prosper, et all is only going to get more expensive and worse.

Basically you can't have nice things without people paying for them...unless you want an Obama I-Phone plan, lmao!

Comment

Someone with some knowledge...

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
          From my understanding, the school district tax rate is actually two separate taxes. The Operations and Maintenance ("O&M") and the Interest and Sinking ("I&S"). The I&S rate is what funds most of the asset and infrastructure projects for school districts. The O&M is for general expenses and is capped by the state for most districts. Some things, of which I believe playgrounds are included, are lumped into the O&M budget because they are relatively small expenditures (when compared to schools) and they are short lived assets. The problem is that the O&M budget is usually very tight and 80% is typically payroll. This is why most schools go ahead and lump the big new playgrounds into the bond when the school is built, and are never touched again until a new school is built. Schools are also not permitted to use funds from one account for services in the other.
          This is exactly the issue that Frisco ISD is in currently. People see these "mansion schools" and complain but don't realize another side of budget actually pays for the people that run it.

Comment

Why don't we just all agree nearly every ISD spends way too much money on crap?

And they use the "it's for the children" to squeeze taxpayers for more money.

We all agree with these two things right?

Comment

School board is so bad in Katy they put the stadium into a 700million dollar bond election because they knew it was the only way tax payers would approve it. The rest of the money was needed for improving existing, and building new schools. The stadium was 90 million and is not as nice as Allen's in my opinion. I think the contractor made a killing.

Comment

$85 million for the football stadium in Cy Fair ISD. We don’t have enough money to buy books for the kids, but we got a nice football field!

P!$$#$ me off that uniforms and equipment are free for the football team, but I bet I’ve spent over $10k for my daughters drill team stuff and everything my son needs for ROTC.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  Wait....I think the Katy Stadium budget was $75MM-$90MM. So you're telling me that you could find nine 10ac sites near each respective high school, provide engineering and design, put in access roads, underground utilities, detention for drainage, metal bleachers to accommodate the fan base, concession stands, plumbing for restrooms, sub-field drainage, turf or grass fields, goal posts, locker rooms, lights, scoreboards, parking lots, and do it all for less than $10MM? Don't forget the maintenance on 9 facilities and the need to add a stadium when you add HS #10. I think that is very highly unlikely and logistically no feasible.
                  At least 4 of the high schools have fields that could play games and just had the cost of adding bleachers, and facilities. There was already one stadium. They built the second right next to it.

Comment

Hey no worries, the elementary school kids someday can go to the stadium and play.

Plus with only one high school, they will always have competitive sports teams.

The taxpayers and school board got what they wanted.

Comment

Some districts are building $20m indoor practice facilities. That right PRACTICE, so Jr. Doesn't have to break a sweat.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                        Finally...somebody that knows what the hell he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Finally...somebody that knows what the hell he's talking about.
                          That doesn't matter. If we disagree we just say he's wrong.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            That doesn't matter. If we disagree we just say he's wrong.

Hoggslayer
                            Hahahahahah!!! The TBH way.

Comment

That's just the times we live in. They say that 47% of people on the web are quoting false statistics anyway. But statistically, 75% of all statistics are made up 25% of the time.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Everyone keeps saying this. I live close enough to hear the PA system, bands and such. From my house, I have to drive by the stadium to get to just about everywhere. I never hear any of these other events. Every once in a while there will be a track meet or soccer game. I've never noticed any other teams playing when the Eagles are at away games either.
                                There aren't a lot but there are some. We, the fd, get OT to work some of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X