Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co
Default Trip to Atlanta, GA

I'm gonna be heading to Atlanta in a few days on my motorcycle. (heading to BLADE show for 1st time so I'm pretty pumped about that!) I'm gonna have some time to kill so anything I need to see on my way out there or around Atlanta? Never really been out that way before and would like to do some sight seeing if there's anything cool out that way! I'll basically be taking I-20 the whole way...anyone know of anything I should check out while I'm heading that way?

Thanks!
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
pervis
Ten Point

Stone mountain. Stay the evening if u can for the laser show. Go hike up it too. On 20 in Mississippi, google hal and mals. Food is awesome, Jackson ms I wana say. It's off state st, can't remember the town right now. Look down over the bridges in Louisiana, you ll see gators. Coca cola mesuem is in Atlanta.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
pervis
Ten Point

U could go by duck commander. It's in monroe la off of 20. You ll see Talladega too on your right going 20. 7th redneck wonder of the world.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
pervis
Ten Point

For fast food in Atlanta, you could try a place called the varsity. You could go to little 5 points in Atlanta it's a more eclectic type of area.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervis View Post
Stone mountain. Stay the evening if u can for the laser show. Go hike up it too. On 20 in Mississippi, google hal and mals. Food is awesome, Jackson ms I wana say. It's off state st, can't remember the town right now. Look down over the bridges in Louisiana, you ll see gators. Coca cola mesuem is in Atlanta.
Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely check out Stone Mountain!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
roberts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and San Saba

Ted's Montana Grill is also a good place to eat. There is Olympic park downtown, the Aquarium is awesome but pricey, College Football Hall of Fame, Stone Mountain is gorgeous, and watch out for the panhandlers if you are downtown after dark.

Last edited by roberts; 05-23-2018 at 09:34 AM.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Chad74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervis View Post

Hal & Mal's is in Jackson and I wouldn't be caught down there after dark. If you end having to spend the night in Jackson, stay on the east side in Pearl or Brandon. Less likely to loose your life and property.
Chad74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Get out of the city and head up to the mountains. Helen is a neat little tourist trap.
Stoof is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
black42
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I can

The vortex bar and grill, and get Coronary Bypass... Its a really good burger.

Buzy Bee cafe for fried chicken.
The varsity, get a pimento cheese burger, its not on the menu, and dont get the grease on your pants it wont come out, the onion rings are great too.

If you want to see alot of the stuff downtown, get a citypass it does save you money. you can get into the aquarium, the world of coke, cnn, and the college football HOF.
black42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad74 View Post
Hal & Mal's is in Jackson and I wouldn't be caught down there after dark. If you end having to spend the night in Jackson, stay on the east side in Pearl or Brandon. Less likely to loose your life and property.
Always good info to have!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
pervis
Ten Point

Hal and mals has a killer shrimp po boy. May not be a great area, but some very tasty food
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
SticksnStrings
Four Point

In North Georgia there are awesome places to see/ride, Amicalola Falls/Blue Ridge Mtns come to mind among others. Ted’s is good as said above, the Varsity is an experience for sure, but the food is greasy hotdogs. World of Coke museum is overrated imo.
SticksnStrings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
rjet
Pope & Young

An old school mate of mine owns a bbq joint in mabelville called TDT BBQ. HE runs it out of a shell station. The place looks shabby but the bbq is fantastic. If you go make sure and get the peach cobbler. I am not a fan of cobbler but he gave me some to try and it was awesome.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
gvick
Six Point

Under ground Atlanta
gvick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Word of warning: stay off of MARTA at night.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
Main Frame
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County, Mexico

Fox Bros BBQ in Atlanta is good BBQ. Get some of the smoked wings if you go.
Main Frame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
coachk
Associate Sponsor

well from the sounds of it, i'm gonna need to take an appetite and my AR15 with plenty of ammo!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

I'm no help....

I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta, most of which was spent looking for the exit.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
recar
Ten Point

College Football Hall of Fame.
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #20
Chad74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
well from the sounds of it, i'm gonna need to take an appetite and my AR15 with plenty of ammo!!!
It's a 3rd world country once you leave Texas
Chad74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #21
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

The Varsity is a tradition for the Georgia Tech and downtown crowd.
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #22
GA Bowhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Don't waste your time or belly room at the Varsity. I'll eat it once a year just because.

As mentioned above, check out Fox Brother's BBQ. Excellent food.
Community BBQ on Clairmont Rd in Decatur is excellent.
Old Hickory House BBQ at Northlake is excellent.
The Golden Buddha on Clairmont has excellent Chinese grub.

Blind Willys in the Virginia Highlands is a great blues club. If Luther "Houserocker" Johnson is playing do not miss it.

Also, as mentioned above, the Busy Bee is(I haven't been there in 25 years) excellent soul food. When I was stationed at Firehouse #9 on MLK we would take the rescue there and get grub to go. Top notch.

The new Braves stadium is supposed to be awesome according to my daughter. I gave up on the Braves when they tore ATL-Fulton Co stadium down in the 90's. I'm still ****** about that.

The Cheetah III is cool if you like neekid women. I was a bartender there in the mid 80's. My exwife was a dancer. Never marry a stripper.

Another already mentioned is Stone Mountain. It is(or was) a Confederate war memorial. The carving is beautiful. The laser show is cool and when they end it with American Trilogy I get choked up.

Atlanta has changed a lot since I retired from the AFD in 2000. There is supposed to be a lot of neat new stuff(Krog Street Market for example) but I usually only make it in to town to go to the airport, eat or see my attorneys(they actually turned me on to Fox Brothers). Back in my day the ATL was a ghost town after dark and on weekends. Not it's like a real city and the younger folks love it.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #23
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Be careful on that bike
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #24
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

That traffic in Atlanta is a nightmare be careful!
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #25
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Vicksburg on the way if you are into civil war battlefields. Speeds are 70 mph once you leave Texas.
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #26
snappertapper
Ten Point

It's been 12 years, but when I went the aquarium was legit. Coke museum was an Ok time, and you can always go root against the braves at a ballgame.
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #27
Yelladog
Ten Point

We are going to. My son wanted to go to the blade show for his graduation trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #28
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelladog View Post
We are going to. My son wanted to go to the blade show for his graduation trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
COOL!! I've wanted to go for years but always found a reason NOT to...i booked a hotel in January to help make myself go this year!ha I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks guys! This will be my 1st long ride I've had since my riding partner had his wreck. (We used to go to Colorado every year and went to Black Hills, SD a couple years ago.) I don't ride near as often without him, so I wanna make this trip and see if this is something I want to keep doing or if it's time to sell it...

I appreciate everyone's help!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #29
GA Bowhunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
That traffic in Atlanta is a nightmare be careful!
That is the reason I don't go down there much. The traffic is still bad at 0200 on 285. Crazy.

OP, check out Oakland Cemetery if you're into such things. It's an old Civil War era cemetery. Cabbage Town is right next store. My name is on a plaque there somewhere due to combat firefighting at the Cabbage Town mill conflagration.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 AM   #30
GA Bowhunter
Six Point

For anyone else that didn't know what the blade show is.

http://bladeshow.com/

I assumed it was either a knife show or an acronym for something else.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 AM   #31
GA Bowhunter
Six Point

If you make it to Winder try Smokin' Po Boys BBQ.

The banana pudding is worth the trip. It is on a whole nother level.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #32
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Cobb Galleria is right across US 41/Marietta Hwy from Cumberland Mall. There is a Ted's Montana Grill in there fronting on 41. Buffalo anything. There was a Copeland's about 5 blocks away on 41 heading towards town inside 285. On the left, shrimp or crawfish étouffée and a plate of biscuits.

Outside Hwy. 285 is the new Braves stadium and areas around it. Never been but they say its nice. Contrary to SnapperTrapper, go there and pull for them. My deceased parents will appreciate it.

Chattahoochee River is nearby both inside and outside 285.

I would not go to The Varsity unless I just happened to drive by it. I generally go by for 3, an onion rings and PMC and then wonder why I ever went out of my way to get there. Started going there 40 years ago.

On I-20, do not stop for gas or anything between the Alabama/Mississippi State Line and Exit 73(Tuscaloosa). Just not worth the chance of getting robbed, murdered or worse.

When you get close to Birmingham you may want to take I-459. It By-Passes you around Downtown B'Ham traffic and some major bridge construction at the downtown junction.
17ncs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #33
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ncs View Post
Cobb Galleria is right across US 41/Marietta Hwy from Cumberland Mall. There is a Ted's Montana Grill in there fronting on 41. Buffalo anything. There was a Copeland's about 5 blocks away on 41 heading towards town inside 285. On the left, shrimp or crawfish étouffée and a plate of biscuits.

Outside Hwy. 285 is the new Braves stadium and areas around it. Never been but they say its nice. Contrary to SnapperTrapper, go there and pull for them. My deceased parents will appreciate it.

Chattahoochee River is nearby both inside and outside 285.

I would not go to The Varsity unless I just happened to drive by it. I generally go by for 3, an onion rings and PMC and then wonder why I ever went out of my way to get there. Started going there 40 years ago.

On I-20, do not stop for gas or anything between the Alabama/Mississippi State Line and Exit 73(Tuscaloosa). Just not worth the chance of getting robbed, murdered or worse.

When you get close to Birmingham you may want to take I-459. It By-Passes you around Downtown B'Ham traffic and some major bridge construction at the downtown junction.
So I was looking at Tuscaloosa as a place to spend the night, then drive the rest of the way the next morning. How is Tuscaloosa?

Old 05-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
17ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:
So I was looking at Tuscaloosa as a place to spend the night, then drive the rest of the way the next morning. How is Tuscaloosa?

Tuscaloosa is going to generally be OK. U.S. Hwy 69S is the first exit with Hilton and Marriott brands on South side. Next is McFarland Blvd on the North side. Newer Comfort Inn and maybe one other right there but I would say drive up McF to he Intersection of 15th Street where there is a Holiday Inn Suites (on 15th) across from University Mall. At that intersection try Full Moon BBQ. Pulled pork plate, collard greens, beans, chow chow, sweet tea and a slice of chocolate.

Don't try the Brisket, you're not in TEXAS anymore.

There is also a Hampton Inn on your right about 3 blocks North of the 15th St. intersection. You can't miss it but be careful on its access to McFarland. It is tricky. Baumhower's and Victory Grille are also good restaurants.

However, if you have a little riding left in you (1.5 hrs) then I would try to get East of Birmingham to the Leeds Area. The first exit after 459 rejoins I-20 is the Bass Pro Shops, Barber Motorsports Park/Museum one. You would like the Mortercycle Museum. It is world class. It is also the location of the Indy Car racetrack. Check the times etc and a call to them is a good idea. There is hotel there but I forget what flag. Checked and it looks like a Hampton Inn. The next exit past should have plenty of choices.

Last edited by 17ncs; 05-24-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #35
coachk
Associate Sponsor

However, if you have a little riding left in you (1.5 hrs) then I would try to get East of Birmingham to the Leeds Area. The first exit after 459 rejoins I-20 is the Bass Pro Shops, Barber Motorsports Park/Museum one. You would like the Mortercycle Museum. It is world class. It is also the location of the Indy Car racetrack. Check the times etc and a call to them is a good idea. There is hotel there but I forget what flag. Checked and it looks like a Hampton Inn. The next exit past should have plenty of choices. [/QUOTE]

haha, not sure I'll have another hour n half...it's 700 miles to tuscaloosa and I haven't been riding alot lately!!haha

Thanks for the insight guys!! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #36
17ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:
However, if you have a little riding left in you (1.5 hrs) then I would try to get East of Birmingham to the Leeds Area. The first exit after 459 rejoins I-20 is the Bass Pro Shops, Barber Motorsports Park/Museum one. You would like the Mortercycle Museum. It is world class. It is also the location of the Indy Car racetrack. Check the times etc and a call to them is a good idea. There is hotel there but I forget what flag. Checked and it looks like a Hampton Inn. The next exit past should have plenty of choices.

haha, not sure I'll have another hour n half...it's 700 miles to tuscaloosa and I haven't been riding alot lately!!haha

Thanks for the insight guys!! I really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Yeah I looked at the distance!! If you can't make it past Meridian, Ms. there are 4 or 5 hotels at the last city exit from I-20 in MS. As a reminder don't stop until you get to Tuscaloosa in West Alabama.

You can take your pick of the Museums if you want. Motorcycle at Barber or NASCAR at Talladega. I'll send you a PM with my cell number if you have any questions.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #37
equyst
Six Point

The vortex bar and grill
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #38
GA-E
Four Point

I'll strongly second Fox Bros BBQ and Teds Montana Grill!! Little Five Points has some great places to eat too, my favorite is "The Vortex"... little funky, but incredible hamburgers!! I like "The Cardiac arrest".
GA-E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #39
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Go to Dwarf House. It's the original Child Fil A. Get a "Hot Bun". Man they are so good!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Hus63VQT9zxv62
Attached Images

Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top