Metal screw question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal screw question

I am going to finish out the walls of my shop with 3/4" plywood. I will be screwing it into 4" C-Purlins What is the correct screw and what would be the best length screw to use for going thru wood into metal.

Self tapping 1.5"-2" Star head

Comment

Self drilling Torx countersunk flathead. 1.5”

Comment

I used self drilling sheetrock screws in mine and it worked good

Comment

self reamer & tapping screws, we use these on trailers for treated wood and they work great. Can be found at Home Depot or lowes as well.

#10-16 X 1-5/8 inch Flat Head TEK Screw with Wood Drilling Wings, #2 Phillips Drive, #3 Drill Point TEK, Zinc Plated. For attaching wood to heavy gauge Steel. 4000/Box. Price/Box.

Comment

When I was putting up the 2x4s, under (perpendicular) to my roof perlins, I used these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spax.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	24539862

They will tap through the metal, but it takes forever. I drilled a pilot hole, through the wood and metal, and then put the screw in. They worked well; I especially like the Torx head. Your bit won't spin like a phillips will.

Comment

Metal screw question

They’re called ply-metal screws. They have wings that drill the hole in the plywood bigger than the threads. The wings break off when the self tapping screw tip goes through the purlin. Check with a fastener company. I get them from seal-tite.

Comment

Originally posted by FIRETX12 View Post
                They’re called ply-metal screws. They have wings that drill the hole in the plywood bigger than the threads. The wings break off when the self tapping screw tip goes through the purlin. Check with a fastener company. I get them from seal-tite.
                These here. Used them a lot re-decking trailers

Comment

Originally posted by FIRETX12 View Post
                  You can get these at McCoy's.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                    self reamer & tapping screws, we use these on trailers for treated wood and they work great. Can be found at Home Depot or lowes as well.

#10-16 X 1-5/8 inch Flat Head TEK Screw with Wood Drilling Wings, #2 Phillips Drive, #3 Drill Point TEK, Zinc Plated. For attaching wood to heavy gauge Steel. 4000/Box. Price/Box.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-10-...1380/100160285
                    These are what we used. They work great.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-10-...1380/100160285
                      I just used some heavier versions of the teksin the HD link. I was fastening 2x4’s to 3/16” and 1/4” steel with a small Milwaukee impact drill driver with zero problems. I was impressed to say the least. You should get by with #10’’s.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                        I am going to finish out the walls of my shop with 3/4" plywood. I will be screwing it into 4" C-Purlins What is the correct screw and what would be the best length screw to use for going thru wood into metal.
                        metal self taping with socket head,, i have done plenty, i have also used a hilti gun with nails and blanks when i was doing 2x4's to metal

Comment

Working...
                        X