Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 06-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default Strings

Just wondering what strings people are shooting and why. I bought a set of Catfish Customs off of Archery Talk and I haven't been very happy with them. Some peep rotation and serving separation and I've only been shooting them for about 3 months or so.

My local shop(and the guys there are great friends of mine) is an ABB dealer, but I'm not spending $175 for a string set. They said that they've had bad luck with Vaportrail strings? I've been looking at Twisted X strings and 60x strings. Any others out there I should take a look at?
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
dphillips62
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Strings tend not to last very long with me I shoot a lot. Vapor Trail did not last a year on my bow. So last year I ordered a set of 60x I'm going on 7 months and they still look new I am very impressed with them and no rotation either.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

I've had several sets of Vaportrail VTX that I had no issues with. I've also used Korbins in BCY-X I believe and liked them as well as 60x. I recently purchased some Hogwire strings in Mercury material just to see how they work. Just put them on my BTX-28 and initial impressions are good. Shot it about 5-6 times to settle in string and installed peep and about 50 shots in and no movement. Not exactly a year long test but so far I'm pleased. Customer service was great btw, but so was Vaportrail's and Korbins.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
ABroussard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Hogwire. Rob builds some really nice strings and his customer service is top notch. Ive used Korbins many times as well, prob somewhere around 8-9 sets. Never had an issue with them and they lasted well. Ive had one set of Vapors and they were by far the worse strings ive ever used. Lots of stretch.

Last edited by ABroussard; 06-20-2018 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo
ABroussard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
Lightning48
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jones County

Check out what
www.bowstringdepot.com
They build some great strings and have superb customer service if and when needed.
William Hutchison is the owner and builder
Lightning48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

lots of good options out there but I have been a 60X guy for the last five years.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Rat
Ten Point

Take this with a grain of salt because I build my own strings. Having said that, when someone else brings new strings to me to install I always check the spec's. I stretch them to 100 lbs and measure everything for initial length; of the half dozen or so string makers I've done this to I have never had a Korbin string or a 60X string be out of spec. Not so much on the others. Now, it's nothing to twist it to get it to spec, but it's nice when it comes the way you ordered it in the first place.

I'm not saying they are bad strings, just not to spec (length anyway) when they arrive.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Korbin or 60x for me. Been using 60x the last few sets though since they are a vendor here.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Korbin still on here? He made me a string several years ago and I had no complaints... been wanting another from him.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Set of 60x on my Elite for a couple years, no issues.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Take this with a grain of salt because I build my own strings. Having said that, when someone else brings new strings to me to install I always check the spec's. I stretch them to 100 lbs and measure everything for initial length; of the half dozen or so string makers I've done this to I have never had a Korbin string or a 60X string be out of spec. Not so much on the others. Now, it's nothing to twist it to get it to spec, but it's nice when it comes the way you ordered it in the first place.

I'm not saying they are bad strings, just not to spec (length anyway) when they arrive.
When I put the strings on, the bow was 100% to spec, so I've definitely got no complaints there. I've talked with him and he's wanting to see some photos of the serving separation and peep rotation before doing anything, which is completely understandable.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

i have a set of vapor trails on mine i installed this year. i shot alot getting ready for tournaments. so far, zero creep, no fraying, and no serving separation.........maybe i just got lucky
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Lowe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Panhandle

Another vote for Korbin.
Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top