Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-05-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
TXUSMC
Six Point

Hunt In: De Leon, TX
Default Dairy Farmers, tell me.....

Iím 37 and know nothing of the Dairy industry. My line of work has been military aviation maintenance for the last 20 years. I have a very rare opportunity to learn the business in hopes of taking over a 1400 cow/800 acre operation in the future. Is this too daunting? I know itís a massive lifestyle change. At this point in my life, would I be taking on too much? Is the learning curve too steep for a rookie?
TXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Take over as in owner or manager?
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
TXUSMC
Six Point

Both, eventually. I assume some shoveling jobs running up through all levels until I’d be in a position to buy out. Family operation.

Last edited by TXUSMC; 01-05-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSMC View Post
Both
I know very little about it but I would learn as much as I could from the ground up, especially the business side, and then hire the best dairy foreman I could when the time comes to manage the daily livestock operations
Old 01-05-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
BrandonA
Pope & Young

How long is the apprenticeship ?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
tkuehn5410
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens

If it's a family biz, then there is opportunity, but if this is an extended job offer thru a friend of a friend, then you'd be best to consider other business opportunities.
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
TXUSMC
Six Point

It’s family. Apprenticeship would last as long as I needed it to if I commit but still have bills to pay. It’s just scary not knowing what to expect. Drastic change, however welcome.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #8
TXUSMC
Six Point

Breeding genetics is a big part of the business but not sure how much of that I would assume. I wouldn’t be left alone and afraid, just financially responsible at some point.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #9
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Itís family. Apprenticeship would last as long as I needed it to if I commit but still have bills to pay. Itís just scary not knowing what to expect. Drastic change, however welcome.
Hell are they not going to pay you while ya learn?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #10
TXUSMC
Six Point

It’s an opportunity I always wish I had. Now it’s here....kind of like the dog catching the car.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #11
TXUSMC
Six Point

I’m not saying they won’t pay me while I learn, it just hasn’t been discussed. I make a solid living now and could continue on the same path in my industry after the military in six months when I retire. It’s just such a change, can someone learn the dairy business at 37 and be successful? I understand there’s no standard answer to that question.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Most of the dairy farmers on here have already hit the sack for the night. They’ve got cows to milk in the morning

I do know there is at least one dairy farmer on here. I’m sure he’ll chime in if he sees the thread. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #13
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Every dairyman I ever met worked 14 hours a day, and never got a day off......unless something went wrong, then they didn't sleep for a few days at a time.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #14
TXUSMC
Six Point

I get that too. Up early to milk in the morning then a bit of a break until the afternoon session. There’s a million more things to consider in between. Green chop, meds, feed mix and distribution, no days off really. I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained. Looking forward to input from those that milk. Thanks everybody.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #15
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

I'm not a dairy farmer, but I know a few and if there is one thing I know about them, they are married to their farms. Unless they make enough money to hire a REALLY good foreman, they miss more family events, hunting trips, vacations, weekends away, etc than anyone I know. Twice a day every day and it never stops. Your life will never be the same. Some people don't mind that fact and others can't last a month.

The opportunity to take over a family farm can be a giant blessing but unless you love it and it's in your blood, it might not be for you. In this day and age, there are a whole lot easier ways to make a living than farming. But if you love it and understand the sacrifices, it can be an enjoyable lifestyle. My 2 cents.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #16
TXUSMC
Six Point

Valuable 2 cents and kind of what I’ve been thinking. I’d be taking over from a first generation Dutch immigrant that’s known nothing but Dairy his whole life. Very different for me.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 AM   #17
100%TtId
Ten Point

I believe Low Fence is the TBH resident subject matter expert on the dairy business.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 AM   #18
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

My cousin got away from beef and went to dairy in the mid 70's. Made tons of money then. Got out in the late 90's. Milk sold for the same amount as when he started. Of course everything else cost way more. He was limited to about 500 cows also. He said he needed to be bigger, didn't have the land for it. Now, this is second hand info. Him, and any other family members are gone since the early 2000's, and I am going off memory. But I know they worked 14 hr. days, 7days a week, 365.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #19
TXUSMC
Six Point

I appreciate all the input.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #20
Austin
Ten Point

I personally would pass on that he offer from what I understand of the dairy industry as has been stated. It becomes a 24/7 lifestyle can you make good money sure can you lose it all sure. It doesn't take large movements I. The price of milk to make the difference betweeen winning and losing. These shifts are also not always a direct result of the "free market" as they heavily influenced by farm subsidies and other govt programs depending on who is in office at the time

What it comes down to for me is quality of life. I work to live not live to work. In dairy you will certainly be living to work. You have made a career path in another industry that can carry you through life. I would ride it out unless you just hate the work then find something you love to do of that is dairy then do it.

Good luck in your decision and thank you for your service
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #21
barnett77859
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elliott

I would go another direction just seem over whelming I know a family the runs a dairy in Robertson county they are special and very hard working barley leave the place takes
a special family.
barnett77859 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #22
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

IMo learning the business part of it seems doable for a hard charging Marine such as yourself, but the real question is this what you want for your post military career.

You have a desired skill that pays handsomely in the real world, and being career military, you stand a very real chance of starting out in a position of leadership instead of the bottom rung of the ladder. With the dairy farm you would be starting at the lowest spot and trying to learn/earn enough to get by. It is a very tough decision to make.

Hopefully a dairy farm expert will chime in and offer some real world advice an until then all I have is a hearty congratulations for your upcoming retirement.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #23
redhoghunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke County

My BIL sells meds/vet supplies to all the dairies in west Texas. He just moved from DeLeon to Comanche. I could put you in touch with him if you'd like to talk to someone about that side of the business.

I do know that he RARELY gets a day away from his customers but makes a good living for his family....

PM me if you want contact info
redhoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #24
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I am a full time dairy farmer. Been for 26 years. You work non stop and handle millions of dollars in hopes of making $40k every other year. I hate it, with every fiber of my being. The industry is as crooked as it gets and it's basically a monopoly

Milk when we got in 26 years ago was $.19 a cwt....... now everything is 4x minimum cost and milk is $.16 cwt. Without our genetic program we too would be out of business like 95% in our area. I dream of the day I can tell DFA &$&% you

My perspective
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

I thank the dairy farmers of Texas who send their product to Borden's in Conroe, we move a lot of your milk 7 days a week, 365.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #26
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
I am a full time dairy farmer. Been for 26 years. You work non stop and handle millions of dollars in hopes of making $40k every other year. I hate it, with every fiber of my being. The industry is as crooked as it gets and it's basically a monopoly

Milk when we got in 26 years ago was $.19 a cwt....... now everything is 4x minimum cost and milk is $.16 cwt. Without our genetic program we too would be out of business like 95% in our area. I dream of the day I can tell DFA &$&% you

My perspective
I bet the last 5 mornings were a blast!
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #27
flyinstroke
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunt,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmag View Post
I thank the dairy farmers of Texas who send their product to Borden's in Conroe, we move a lot of your milk 7 days a week, 365.

Hmmmm........ Bordens in Conroe huh...

PM inbound
flyinstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #28
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I bet the last 5 mornings were a blast!
Fantastic. Thank the lord no snow was involved

Cause I got plenty of time in the day to spend 5-6 breaking ice and getting water flowing again
Old 01-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #29
BigYoung
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County TX

Went to the Aldi grocery store in Corsicana about 6 months ago. Gallon of milk was less than $2.00. As a cattleman, I felt bad for the Dairy Farmer.
BigYoung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #30
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYoung View Post
Went to the Aldi grocery store in Corsicana about 6 months ago. Gallon of milk was less than $2.00. As a cattleman, I felt bad for the Dairy Farmer.
Always a misconception in milk prices vs our pay. It makes ZERO difference and I've never known why. Makes a difference to corporate but not us

If milk were $25 a gallon tomorrow morning we would still get $0.16 a pound
But if fuel goes up.... we pay additional freight fees.... on top of paying ALL freight anyway ( from barn to store)

A few years ago that huge fire killed like 30,000 dairy cattle.... market never wiggled. If 10,000 beef animals disappeared you couldn't afford to make hamburger helper for 8 months
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #31
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Valuable 2 cents and kind of what Iíve been thinking. Iíd be taking over from a first generation Dutch immigrant thatís known nothing but Dairy his whole life. Very different for me.
I know a couple of guys that have worked in dairies. From what they have said, it's a JOB.

Strangely enough, I used to know a Dutchman that owns a dairy.
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #32
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

That's a tough row to hoe right there, when I was a kid i worked some at dairy farms, twice a day 7 days a week, you do not take off on christmas or any other days. If the business would support it it then hiring one or two reliable muchachos would be wise.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #33
Low Fence
Pope & Young

$0.88-$1.68

This is when payed in 26 years per gallon from the best of times to worst for grade A, top quality RAW milk

So when milk get over $4.... ain't my fault
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #34
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Taking over from Dutch is a completely different animal. They work together and co- op like no other. Labor is NEVER an issue inside their "group". They live and breathe dairy. Outside that "loop" good luck in the labor part.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #35
covedogs
Four Point

I have a few dairy farmers in my family, and I can tell you it will be long days, every day, unless you have good help.
covedogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #36
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Itís an opportunity I always wish I had. Now itís here....kind of like the dog catching the car.
That says it all to me right there. If you love animals, love the responsibility, it will never be work. If I wasn't so dependent on my current salary and lifestyle, I'd be on that opportunity like a duck on a June bug.

My suggestion is to not work so hard that you miss opportunities to improve efficiency in the industry. Don't miss new technology. Always look for new and better ways to do things. Always ask why.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #37
rocky
Pope & Young

A dairy farmer heard about young man looking for steady work, so he hired him.
The young man got up at 4 am, gathered the cows, milked the cows, cleaned the barn, put feed out, moved hay, then at 4 pm, he started gathering cows again, milked again, turned the cows out and cleaned the barn.
By the time he got home and ate supper and got into bed, it was midnight.
This went on for a couple months and finally the young man told the farmer he was quitting.
The farmer was confused because the young man was a good worker, and had been seeking steady work.
When he asked the young man why he was quitting, the young man said "I don't have a **** thing to do between midnight and 4 am"
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #38
Kingfisher789
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

How will you pay for the 800 acres of land?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #39
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Pm me owners name if you want. I probably know them
Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #40
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I was raised on a dairy, but that was some years ago. Almost everything was done by hand, even to pouring the milk up in ten gallon cans and putting it in the cooler. Everything is automated now, but that only made it easier to milk many more cows. It's still an eight day per week job. Good luck !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #41
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinstroke View Post
Hmmmm........ Bordens in Conroe huh...

PM inbound
Replied!
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I'm not a dairy farmer, but I know a few and if there is one thing I know about them, they are married to their farms. Unless they make enough money to hire a REALLY good foreman, they miss more family events, hunting trips, vacations, weekends away, etc than anyone I know. Twice a day every day and it never stops. Your life will never be the same. Some people don't mind that fact and others can't last a month.

The opportunity to take over a family farm can be a giant blessing but unless you love it and it's in your blood, it might not be for you. In this day and age, there are a whole lot easier ways to make a living than farming. But if you love it and understand the sacrifices, it can be an enjoyable lifestyle. My 2 cents.
X2 on this one. Also learning from scratch will have its financial pitfalls IMO. The true farmers around here that make a decent living have their land paid for by what ever means (family or inheritance). You don't see many younger Farmers also unless they are working the family farm. Good luck.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #43
LWC
Ten Point

I know a few former dairy farmers. All are glad that they are former dairy farmers.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #44
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

my parents live in Washington Parish, LA. (Franklinton). At one time, it was the largest dairy producing Parish in LA. I slowly watched many of the farms being sold and farmers getting out of the industry. 5-6 years ago the dairy co-op shut down and it's an abandoned building
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #45
Tbar
Ten Point

Life is too short to be married to a job 7 days a week. The ONLY reason I would work that schedule is if I could punch out and retire 1 or 2 decades sooner than normal. You only live once and there is a lot to see and do in this world before your time is up.

I have recently wondered about the future of the dairy industry with the advent of Almond milk and soccer moms thinking that little Johnny/Janie are allergic to dairy products.

Also, if the government ever pulled back on dairy subsidies I suspect half the industry would go under.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #46
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I know a few former dairy farmers. All are glad that they are former dairy farmers.
Ditto...I know a few FORMER dairy farmers, but I don't know many itching to be FUTURE dairy farmers. It's probably the toughest job on the planet as it is never-ending and never relenting. One friend, whose family got out of their large dairy operation in South Dakota, told me that any tittie pulling he did in the future **** sure wouldn't involve a cow.

Last edited by curtintex; 01-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #47
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

Quote:
Always a misconception in milk prices vs our pay. It makes ZERO difference and I've never known why. Makes a difference to corporate but not us

If milk were $25 a gallon tomorrow morning we would still get $0.16 a pound
But if fuel goes up.... we pay additional freight fees.... on top of paying ALL freight anyway ( from barn to store)

A few years ago that huge fire killed like 30,000 dairy cattle.... market never wiggled. If 10,000 beef animals disappeared you couldn't afford to make hamburger helper for 8 months
Easy there cowboy! Our market is not what it was. Everyone in ag needs to stick to get her.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #48
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Worked for a few different dairies when I was younger. Most of the people I still know in the business make money selling secondary products in addition to milk. Making various cheeses, or butter seems to be the way to increase income. That being said, everyone I know works long days and donít take vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #49
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche ,Erath,Mills

Quote:

My perspective
On the MONEY !!
I was in a similar position back in the early 80`s. I was in my early 20`s and thought I wanted to quit my job in the grocery business and go in the the dairy business with my in-laws. They decided they didn`t want to be in business with family though and I kept the job I had(mother-in-law didn`t like me). It was a very good decision for me. I ended up loaning them the money to file bankruptcy and other things years later and had a successful 31 year career. I have had several family members in the dairy business , including my dad when I was very young and I can`t remember any of them having much time off or being very happy .
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #50
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Quote:

My perspective
Wow, I think the young now has the answer he was looking for! Hard to believe that they've managed to keep the prices so suppressed with expenses going up constantly.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top