No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good, good stuff here ! Keep it coming. Can you show us a pic of the girl and buck in the Lufkin paper ? Thanks Steve

Comment

Originally posted by luna-tuna View Post
      Good, good stuff here ! Keep it coming. Can you show us a pic of the girl and buck in the Lufkin paper ? Thanks Steve
      No but i saw the paper. Its online Im pretty sure if someone has a subscription and wants to pull it up. Cant do it without a sub though. Matt williams did the story.
      Last edited by GarGuy; 07-28-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Keep the good stories coming! October 3rd cant get here soon enough

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
          I shot one 13 years ago on Thanksgiving morning that was walking through a log set with a bunch of equipment parked at it. All it took was one quiet morning for the deer to go back to normal business in their core area. I literally had to wait for that buck to clear equipment before I shot it because it had walked between the log pile and the loader. Moral of the story is don't give up on an area bc it's been cut, getting cut or traffic has increased from it.
          I killed one in Tom Green Co sitting in the driver seat of a motor grader lol. The rancher was grading out new fence rows and didn't work on Sunday.

Comment

GarGuy, you mentioned in a previous post that the area you set up in was perfect due to the fact that the deer were going around a feeder. Do mature bucks avoid feeders in your opinion and favor the hand tossed corn?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
              I killed one in Tom Green Co sitting in the driver seat of a motor grader lol. The rancher was grading out new fence rows and didn't work on Sunday.
              This on was right behind Mrs. Strain's house down Grimes Cemetery Rd. They clearcut all that and left the big SMZ that comes through Squyers' place....so in true fashion I got up 30' in a pine covering that entire area and figured out at daylight I'd hung my climber right next to all the equipment. Shot that deer at 7:20 and already saw over 20 funneling down that SMZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                GarGuy, you mentioned in a previous post that the area you set up in was perfect due to the fact that the deer were going around a feeder. Do mature bucks avoid feeders in your opinion and favor the hand tossed corn?
                OH HECK YES! There are exceptions like Dads spot but around here, the mature bucks only survive because they learned to avoid the neighbors feeders. They love to scent and visul check feeders from cover though.

Comment

I got one for ya Steve. I'm not a big fan of tripod feeders since I don't think I have ever had a mature buck come in to feed around them, at least the areas I hunt. Bobby's (my uncle) is a good example. You don't see any bucks around his feeder until the rut kicks in. With that said, they are there...just don't come to the feeder. Not sure if it's the feeder or because of the numerous mature does that frequent that feeder everyday keeping bucks away from the feeder.

Anyhow, do you think a small hanging feeder (5 gallon feeder) tucked up in some branches would have the same effect as hand thrown corn? Of course it will make noise during its spin cycle but the deer can't see it because it is up in some branches. I have one running behind my house right now. I will get a pic of it here in a few.

Comment

I have truly enjoyed this thread and have learned more in this thread than I have in any other thread on TBH.

Do you think a "dump feeder" such as a Penco would mimmick hand corn? Or is there no substitute for true hand corn? The reason I ask is that I am not able to consistantly hand corn day after day and it sometimes takes time for the deer to come to it.

Comment

Johnny and Big ace, I have had some success with hanging a small feeder really high in a thicket.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        OH HECK YES! There are exceptions like Dads spot but around here, the mature bucks only survive because they learned to avoid the neighbors feeders. They love to scent and visul check feeders from cover though.

X1000 in East Texas. Once in a blue moon a monster will be by it but normally they'll do exactly what Steve just said.

Comment

GarGuy pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            X1000 in East Texas. Once in a blue moon a monster will be by it but normally they'll do exactly what Steve just said.
                            I hunt an old logging road that cuts right through a large bedding area full of 13 year old pines. The big boys will hit that feeder without fail starting in late September but by mid- to late October they've vanished. Now every year they start coming back to it, but we're talking late January and into February. We're an MLDP 3 lease so technically we can hunt but by that time no one's really hunted them for a month or more. So in terms of pressure it's like pre-season all over again.

I would love to be able to get back in the woods and hunt them in staging areas (specifically a SMZ that runs parallel to the logging road) but accessing it would do more harm than good I fear since deer are bedding all around there.

Comment

Getting quiet around this fire!

Comment

Bump... got have some more GarGuy!

Comment

Working...
                                X