Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-30-2018, 12:31 AM   #451
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

A few picks of mine

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #452
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Picked up this hurricane "survivor" this weekend for my hunting land. 40' bumper pull with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and 3 slides, will be enough room for my entire family or when the guys want to get together. I certainly wouldn't want to be trekking all over with it but once I get things fixed up on it, it will be staying in place for a long time.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #453
TexasBob
Pope & Young

To the warranty question- just got ours back from its first and what will be only trip to the shop. Warranty is out in a couple weeks. All minor stuff, just irritations but mine is a simple trailer. Jack fell apart about 5 hours from the dealer so that was a DIY job. Still waiting on reimbursement. Propane regulator got a bad leak on the pre flight for the first major trip. Barely had time for Amazon Prime much less to get a dealer apt. Just learn to fix it yourself IMHO unfortunately. I think anything expensive will last more than the year. I'll buy another RV in a heartbeat but the after purchase service is the biggest joke I have ever seen. Called a dealer i didn't buy from.. oh we are at least 6 months out for non customers. BS big time. 99% I'll go used within two years old next time.
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #454
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Has anyone done underbody storage? See some options I like, but they come with a $300-600 price tag. I would love to get the power cord and water hoses out of the front box. Might have to get some expanded metal and DIY it. Feeling the pain of choosing a small trailer with minimal storage. Front box, truck bed, or inside is it. Trying to empty the front box of stuff I take every time to carry chairs, cookware, etc.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #455
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Jayco comes with a 2yr full warranty. They did a recall LED light full replacement on mine, zero issues with service. And I had a small drip at a pec connection when my wife tried to put 200 towels under there. They fixed that, no issue as well as adjust doors to shut better. No issue thus far

There will always be stuff in a new one that will require being redone. They crank them out at a crazy speed and Obadiah & jabadiah are bond to miss something. The after the sale service is usually on dealers lack of quality service providers. It’s hard I’m sure to find good help as the good ones usually have their own service company

That said I’m extremely happy with my dealers handle of all my issues and will buy from them next time as well. My warranty will be up around September
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #456
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Missouri, East TX

Texas Bob, look on amazon for valterra sewer hose storage. I got the 8ft, holds 3 sections of sewer hose. Ran it near the back of coach from side to side. That took care of 1 tote.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #457
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
Bought mine new in 2013. They had to fix something before we left and after that it has never been in the shop. Got a few things that I need to fix this year but nothing major and other than the canopy should be fairly easy to fix.

Mine has never been back to any dealer.
(Starcraft by Jayco)
2012 bought in 2012 that now has 14,800 vacationing & to and from deer lease miles on it (truck tracks miles).
When new one oddity was handled with direction over the phone.

The few things Iíve corrected have been at the house jobs.

But it only has 1 slide and 3 tanks. Iíd wager the more dodads you buy, the more things to go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #458
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
Picked up this hurricane "survivor" this weekend for my hunting land. 40' bumper pull with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and 3 slides, will be enough room for my entire family or when the guys want to get together. I certainly wouldn't want to be trekking all over with it but once I get things fixed up on it, it will be staying in place for a long time.

Dang a 40í bumper pull, I donít think they get much longer.
That one has a unique roofline, congrats on the find!

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #459
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I guess someone has to be here. May as well be me
Attached Images

Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #460
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
I guess someone has to be here. May as well be me

Nothing wrong with that! Enjoy yourself, though it looks as if you already are

Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #461
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Stayed at Mystic Quarry on Canyon Lake for 2 nights. Overall good place. Quiet and mostly shaded (Spot 24). A little tricky getting in for bigger rigs. Spots were caliche and pretty level. Full hookups with good power. Hookups were way up front so have long cables/water. Access roads were paved. Clean pool. They did have music Friday night. Price was $68 a night. A little high in my opinion for no cable and no concrete pads. Most spots had a picnic table and a BBQ though.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #462
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

When looking for an rv park to stay at, where do you look?

Also, what do you look for as your top "must haves" in an rv park?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #463
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

Where- generally H20 in some form nearby, in Texas anyway

Must haves- full hookups, I can deal with anything else depending on price, scenery and location.

Wants- level pad. Concrete helps with a young kiddo. Nice grass around pad with no ants. WiFi. Cable is nice but WiFi negates that for us most of the time. Picking tables are nice. I travel with my own cooking gear. Grills etc. most donít.

Assuming this is research for a venture- there is one park in Galveston i wonít stay at again. Only place so far on that page of our notebook. Nice place, great facility all concrete super level. Nice pool and small lazy river. Great beach access across the street. No cell service which isnít their fault. Wanted to charge for decent WiFi. Free stuff wouldnt load the google homepage. Then I went to buy some candy on a whim. Several dollars each- so kids can just charge it back to their spot. Money hungry sob. Never again. Know you wonít but donít be that owner.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #464
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Definitely not my style either. I hate getting screwed on all the small stuff at places. We just tried to stay in new Orleans at a hotel. They advertised cheap rates, then hammered you on parking. We said screw it and cashed in some points and stayed at the ritz with free parking.

Would a gated park be a perk to you and most? What if it didn't have a pool, is that a big downer in tx?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Where- generally H20 in some form nearby, in Texas anyway

Must haves- full hookups, I can deal with anything else depending on price, scenery and location.

Wants- level pad. Concrete helps with a young kiddo. Nice grass around pad with no ants. WiFi. Cable is nice but WiFi negates that for us most of the time. Picking tables are nice. I travel with my own cooking gear. Grills etc. most donít.

Assuming this is research for a venture- there is one park in Galveston i wonít stay at again. Only place so far on that page of our notebook. Nice place, great facility all concrete super level. Nice pool and small lazy river. Great beach access across the street. No cell service which isnít their fault. Wanted to charge for decent WiFi. Free stuff wouldnt load the google homepage. Then I went to buy some candy on a whim. Several dollars each- so kids can just charge it back to their spot. Money hungry sob. Never again. Know you wonít but donít be that owner.

Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #465
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

50 amp service, water and sewer hookup. Mostly level pad, concrete is nicer. Enough room to maneuver around the place. Pool or water access. Otherwise, I have everything else.

2 of them that I have stayed in at the coast were packed in, the staff had to guide you in and they were good at it too.

For quick trips, I don't mind being packed in because most likely your at the beach, lake, town etc. Living full time, I could understand wanting some more room.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #466
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Kinney county

This is my new one. Has a sweet floor plan and I love it.

basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #467
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Pool is not a deal breaker for me at all. It isn't a huge one for my wife, but with two equal parks to pick from, she will take the one with the pool. I would say unless you are somewhere people go no matter what- riverside New Braunfels etc, not having a pool will hurt you.

We live in a gated neighborhood, so my opinion is likely different than most there too. Its a false sense of security that keeps out the honest folks. At some point every pizza guy nearby will have your code, every visitor unless you change it often. Your investment in a gate provides less of a security return over time. Could even hurt because some folks will leave stuff out thinking its safe in a gated park and be mad when it's stolen from the guy two spots down. I don't think its expected and wouldn't be a big selling point for most. Spend the money elsewhere IMHO.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #468
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Syl and I bought the Jayco last fall to work out of until the condo was rebuilt in Port A. Over the last year, we have spent 76 nights in it, set up in Port A RV Resort. Now that we are acclimated to the cozy confines of our doghouse on wheels, we have uprooted and are preparing for the next adventure. 4-5,000 miles up to Glacier National Park, a few weeks in Idaho for fishing, family, and friends, then south through Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, and return I-10.

Here is our setup leaving Port A this morning.

Name:  Tundra and Jayco tbh.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  107.4 KB

Hogboy
Leonhogboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #469
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

Ive got my wife convinced not to stay in anymore rv parks if we can avoid it. Every place weve gone ive taken her and showed her areas we could camp in national parks that beat every campground weve been in.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #470
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Posted in the classifieds, but figure some are subscribed to this. RV spot at Jellystone in Waller this weekend and we can't go. Supposed to be awesome for the kiddos.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #471
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gordan, Moran

Headed out to Whitney state park this weekend-never been so we will see
perow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #472
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Will be at Black Rock Park on Buchannan.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #473
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

We added to our little RV coastal retreat. Friday the driveway was complete and just before lunch the cover was complete! Come Spring we will add to the cover and a deck...

Old 08-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #474
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Nice!!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #475
doublearrow
Ten Point

Added 200 watt solar today. This should keep up with my 12volt fridge. It pulls 9 amps at first and 3 amps at 12 volts to keep it cool once temp is reached.
I also bought a igen2500 westinghouse generator. This is an inverter generator like the Hondas.. Its quiet and more powerful. My paper work says I have 2 13.5kbtu ac units. I tried starting the main ac and it would start but only run for about 20 minutes. I crawled up on top got the model number and realised it was a 15kbtu. Bummer. After messing with it I remembered the outdoor 120volt fridge was on. After turning it off I'm able to run the generator 1 ac, lights, and 12 volt fridge on 100 degree day. I put an amp meter and I run 14-15 with that stuff. It's around 13.2ish with just the ac.
I bought a hard start capicitor but it's not in yet. I still cant the back smaller ac to start with generator. It has several fan settings to go through before it starts compressor. I think running the switch through these settings puts too much load on it before it starts.
I'm not going to mess with it during hunting season but will be ordering another igen2500 to run parallel to this one. Should have no issues. For the 20 days of boondocking in Colorado and utah elk hunting the next 2 months I think I'm set up.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #476
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
Added 200 watt solar today. This should keep up with my 12volt fridge. It pulls 9 amps at first and 3 amps at 12 volts to keep it cool once temp is reached.
I also bought a igen2500 westinghouse generator. This is an inverter generator like the Hondas.. Its quiet and more powerful. My paper work says I have 2 13.5kbtu ac units. I tried starting the main ac and it would start but only run for about 20 minutes. I crawled up on top got the model number and realised it was a 15kbtu. Bummer. After messing with it I remembered the outdoor 120volt fridge was on. After turning it off I'm able to run the generator 1 ac, lights, and 12 volt fridge on 100 degree day. I put an amp meter and I run 14-15 with that stuff. It's around 13.2ish with just the ac.
I bought a hard start capicitor but it's not in yet. I still cant the back smaller ac to start with generator. It has several fan settings to go through before it starts compressor. I think running the switch through these settings puts too much load on it before it starts.
I'm not going to mess with it during hunting season but will be ordering another igen2500 to run parallel to this one. Should have no issues. For the 20 days of boondocking in Colorado and utah elk hunting the next 2 months I think I'm set up.

Thatís awesome! The biggest thing you can do now to sustain your power needs over night is upgrade and increase your battery storage capacity. That is one of (if not the) the things most people forget about.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #477
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
Thatís awesome! The biggest thing you can do now to sustain your power needs over night is upgrade and increase your battery storage capacity. That is one of (if not the) the things most people forget about.

Yes sir that's the next step. The battery that came with the camper sucks. I would just buy another and go, but I've read the batteries need to be similar and close to the same age. The battery I have has no label on it. For now I'm good but once I'm back I'm going to buy 2 batteries. I'll remove the oem battery. I can buy another generator for cheaper than 2 batteries, they arent cheap lol.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #478
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County

Missing out on a weekend of bow hunting for a Halloween themed camping weekend with the family and some friends.
http://www.brackenridgepark.com/even...rail--carnival
NaClH2O_therapy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #479
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Stayed at LCRA Black Rock Park. Full service / hookups. Had a very shady spot luckily - 15. Plenty of room and nowhere near cramped. A couple spots would be hard to setup on for larger rigs as they are sloping upward or downward. Not many appeared to be bad side to side though. Water was a little low, not much to do about that. They had a movie Saturday night.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #480
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
Stayed at LCRA Black Rock Park. Full service / hookups. Had a very shady spot luckily - 15. Plenty of room and nowhere near cramped. A couple spots would be hard to setup on for larger rigs as they are sloping upward or downward. Not many appeared to be bad side to side though. Water was a little low, not much to do about that. They had a movie Saturday night.

Sounds like yíall had a great time and a nice park

Old 09-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #481
txcooker10
Four Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Great thread! I'm going to be buying my first family camper soon. Headed to the RV show in Dallas this weekend. Hopefully I can narrow down my list. It's almost more overwhelming then buying a truck!
txcooker10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #482
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcooker10 View Post
Great thread! I'm going to be buying my first family camper soon. Headed to the RV show in Dallas this weekend. Hopefully I can narrow down my list. It's almost more overwhelming then buying a truck!

I do hear you! We are just about ready to upgrade and actually started looking and deciding not two months after buying our current! It has taken us two years to decide on which to go with.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #483
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Does anyone have a Grand Design? We are about to pull the trigger on a GD Reflection 303RLS!!!

Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #484
twillgo
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere
Default 293res

Quote:
Does anyone have a Grand Design? We are about to pull the trigger on a GD Reflection 303RLS!!!

Picked up a '14 293RES. Almost the same layout as the 303RLS. Good trailer and comfortable. Already had one of the bedroom slide motors go out, but it was easily replaced by me. Since it was bought used, I plan on doing any repairs because no warranty. Put Maxxis tires on it, keep them at max psi, and don't pull it faster than 70 mph and you'll do fine. Blowing a tire can do terrific damage to the underside.
twillgo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #485
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillgo View Post
Picked up a '14 293RES. Almost the same layout as the 303RLS. Good trailer and comfortable. Already had one of the bedroom slide motors go out, but it was easily replaced by me. Since it was bought used, I plan on doing any repairs because no warranty. Put Maxxis tires on it, keep them at max psi, and don't pull it faster than 70 mph and you'll do fine. Blowing a tire can do terrific damage to the underside.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks bud

Michael

Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #486
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:

2017 26RL Reflection here.

Name:  IMG_1088.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  188.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1090.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  174.4 KB

Love it. We put 20kmiles on it the first year. It is only 30', we downsized from a 36' once the 3 boys were out on their own. Haven't had the (stock)tire issues a lot of folks are, but I attribute that to being a smaller unit.

Seeyadowntharoad,
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #487
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
2017 26RL Reflection here.

Attachment 926440

Attachment 926441

Love it. We put 20kmiles on it the first year. It is only 30', we downsized from a 36' once the 3 boys were out on their own. Haven't had the (stock)tire issues a lot of folks are, but I attribute that to being a smaller unit.

Seeyadowntharoad,

That is awesome! Now this is just my opinion but, the factory E rated tires are a 65mph maximum. I see people doing 75-80 and that is just a recipe for disaster! Iím the guy that runs 60-63 and enjoys the ride and views.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #488
TxStick
Nubbin' Buck

Our Winnebago Fuse 23A on a diesel Ford Transit chassis. Have done a couple of weekend trips, but will be taking it to head out to Virginia for a week next month to visit daughter in college. At 24', it's been great to maneuver around in.
Attached Images

TxStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #489
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStick View Post
Our Winnebago Fuse 23A on a diesel Ford Transit chassis. Have done a couple of weekend trips, but will be taking it to head out to Virginia for a week next month to visit daughter in college. At 24', it's been great to maneuver around in.

I have thought seriously about getting something very similar to yours. Enjoy your trip!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #490
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

We just finished up a 42 day trip to Idaho with the Jayco. 6800 miles total.

Name:  Syl and Jayco tbh.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  139.9 KB
Leonhogboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #491
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Attachment 927227

It looks like yíall had an awesome trip!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #492
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post

Attachment 927227
Sweet Can't wait until I retire Kim and I are going to hit as many state parks as we can in every State we can. Towed it to Roan Maintain Tenn. Spent 12 days hiking and fishing.
Attached Images

Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #493
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Any of you guys ever rented your trailers out through RVshare or a similar site? Got a buddy at the gym that is doing it and making some good money. I’m kind of thinking about during the six months that mine isn’t at the deer lease. Sounds like a could easily make enough to make the payment, insurance and storage fee plus some.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #494
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

We just signed the buyers agreement and put a deposit down on our new Grand Design Reflection 303RLS!!!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #495
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
We just signed the buyers agreement and put a deposit down on our new Grand Design Reflection 303RLS!!!

Congrats! Thatís awesome. Sadly mine hasnít seen any use in a few months

Old 10-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #496
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Congrats! Thatís awesome. Sadly mine hasnít seen any use in a few months

Thank you sir! Our first trip will be a week and a half in Big Bend as soon as we take possession of it! Canít wait!!!!

Old 10-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #497
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

To help insure we get a solid unit we have (will sign their paperwork tomorrow) contracted an independent Certified RV inspector to check the RV out before we sign. When you think about how much of a pain, time consuming process it is to have warranty work done, to me it is a no brainer to have it checked out before hand. If it ends up having too many issues, we will walk away and not sign. We do this before buying a house, why not before we buy a RV?

Before you ask, for what we are having the fellow do, it is going to cost us $495.

Michael

Old 10-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #498
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
To help insure we get a solid unit we have (will sign their paperwork tomorrow) contracted an independent Certified RV inspector to check the RV out before we sign. When you think about how much of a pain, time consuming process it is to have warranty work done, to me it is a no brainer to have it checked out before hand. If it ends up having too many issues, we will walk away and not sign. We do this before buying a house, why not before we buy a RV?

Before you ask, for what we are having the fellow do, it is going to cost us $495.

Michael

Good move.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #499
TexasBob
Pope & Young

For you guys with young kids- where to go now that swimming isnít an activity. It was easy all summer but sheís about to be two and doesnít sit still. She loves water but with that out not sure where to go.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #500
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Well, we bit the bullet. Nothing like a 1,600 mile round trip to get things started! Found a place with hit/miss internet so Iím posting up while I can.