No announcement yet.

No rifled shotguns allowed at LBJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 20 ga smoothbore shotgun with a modified choke tube using the Slugger “high velocity” with a scope will shoot from cloverleaf to 2” groups out to 150 yards.

I’ve got a cheap mossberg 500 and Savage 220 Turkey that will make a huge hole at 150 yards. My mossberg has a 2.5x and the savage a 4x. I probably kill 100 plus animals per year with these setups.

I went to these setups because the rifled slugs are just too much $$$ for as much as I shoot. I sold all of my rifled shotguns.

Furthermore, none of my rifled guns were any more accurate, not a one
    Last edited by Johnny44; 08-07-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      You would have to be more specific, on pistols. Revolvers and autos would fit into the limited range guns. But the single shot handguns, can reach out there a few hundred yard with ease. Really someone who knows what they are doing and has the right revolver can reach out there quite a ways. TPWD does not allow handguns on many of their hunts, I noticed.

For quite a while now, guns classified as muzzle loaders can reach out there at least 200 yards, likely farther. I have not gotten into muzzle loaders, don't really know what is possible with them.

I have read a little on modern slug guns and slugs, I think those can reach out to 200 yards, or close to it and put game down.

When you get into specialty guns, they can have quite a bit better performance, that common guns of the same classification.
      I completely agree. Honestly when I wrote that I had my .44 mag Super Blackhawk in mind.

Thats the issue, a shotgun is now a smoothbore and a rifled barrel bolt action. A pistol is now a revolver and a .300 blackout AR and a single shot .30-.30 or .308.

Don’t get me wrong, I like all the platforms for their intended purpose but good luck rewriting the rules with all those caveats.

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo View Post
        WUSS.... I just sneak up buck nekkid and strangle 'em.
        That's how I got the loincloth I wear. It's made from a Moose scrotum I ripped off bare handed.

Comment

So whats the point of the rifling?

I’ve always herd it was there to help the slug squeeze through a choke.

Comment

Now he’s saying it’s not been decided yet. He is asking for comments and I think he’s getting them. I’m pro-hunting and anti-regulations. We don’t have enough public land in Texas as it is, so I believe we need to protect our rights as hunters as much as possible. This petition has been created. Please go sign and share.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              If there is a change for limiting range it should be smooth bore shotguns and do muzzleloaders like Colorado. You gotta stuff the tube and no magnification if memory serves me right. Open sights and I don’t even think you can have fiber optic enhancement. This takes it down to 100 yards or less.

Can you shoot rifles slugs in a rifled slug gun? Just sounds like it would cause issues if groves did not match. I figured rifled slugs were for smooth bore guns trying to get some stabilization.
              You can shoot riffle slugs in a riffled slugs gun. It will eventually fill in the riffling of the barrel. I wouldn't recommend it. We shot riffled slugs thru a smooth bore slugs barrel with riffle sights and was able to maintain baseball size groups. Tried shooting riffled slugs thru my regular barrel and couldn't get it to group.

Comment

Rifled slugs are over bore diameter of the 12 ga which is .729” as defined by SAAMI specs. Foster or rifled slugs usually mic out at .732”-.734”.

There’s a couple of reasons for the rifling.

1. The rifling reduces the surface area of the slug decreasing sidewall pressure.

2. These are pure lead. The rifling swages through the forcing cone making for better obturation (gas seal) in the chamber.

3. If the slug fills the bore, it will be more accurate.

By the time the slug exits the muzzle, the rifling is all but gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                  Rifled slugs are designed for smooth barrels and do not impart a spin on the slug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Correct. The rifling in a slug is designed so the slug can compress thru a choked barrel. They do not stabilized or impart spin on the slug.
                  I wonder if a rifled choke will be against the new rules too. Not they really help anyway.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

To allow the slug to compress thru a choked barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                      Any 20 ga smoothbore shotgun with a modified choke tube using the Slugger “high velocity” with a scope will shoot from cloverleaf to 2” groups out to 150 yards.

I’ve got a cheap mossberg 500 and Savage 220 Turkey that will make a huge hole at 150 yards. My mossberg has a 2.5x and the savage a 4x. I probably kill 100 plus animals per year with these setups.

I went to these setups because the rifled slugs are just too much $$$ for as much as I shoot. I sold all of my rifled shotguns.

Furthermore, none of my rifled guns were any more accurate, not a one
                      I was shooting a Remington 1187 sportsman with a smooth bore and imp cyl choke and a 2x scope w/saddle mount. I was shooting 2" groups at 100 yds with remington sluggers. I put a cantilevered rifled barrel on it with a 4x9 cabelas slugger ext scope and now shoot 1.5" groups at 150 with Hornaday sabots. It will easily reach out to 250 but my groups get a little looser beyond 150 (mostly user error). I may be selling a rifled barrel now. Then again may hang on to for now and see where this goes.

Comment

Here's a screenshot my buddy sent me. I dont do Facebook so can't get on the lbj grasslands fb page myself

It doesn't mention it on this screenshot but he also said there was mention of not being able to use trail cams anymore too. Cant verify that but maybe someone who knows can chime in.
                        Last edited by rolylane6; 08-07-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Another thing to consider. The Caddo grasslands allows all rifles and calibers and they ride horses out there too. So is this really about safety?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
                            Now he’s saying it’s not been decided yet. He is asking for comments and I think he’s getting them. I’m pro-hunting and anti-regulations. We don’t have enough public land in Texas as it is, so I believe we need to protect our rights as hunters as much as possible. This petition has been created. Please go sign and share.

http://lbjgrasslands.org/2020-lbj-gr...ions-petition/
                            That link say unable to connect. I wonder if they took it down already?

Comment

What about rifled slugs in a smooth bore.

Pretty soon they'll ban all hunting there. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                                Doesn't everyone strip down naked, and only use Trad equipment? I might wear a loincloth, but that's about it. Most of the time I just chase them down on foot, while holding my skinning knife in my teeth.
                                In order to be "primitive" enough, the loin cloth is only allowed on public lands. And one shouldn't shave, bathe, or wipe for at least three months prior to the hunt. Having lice also helps for those who really want to be primitive....

Comment

Working...
                                X