RVing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RVing

My wife and I are proud owners [maybe], of a new travel trailer. We would like to visit sites within Texas, before we venture outside of the state. It will just be my wife and I and our two dogs.

Where do you guys go? Favorite state parks, RV parks, etc. And if it's not asking too much,......your favorite camping sites at those locations, sites that make your stay there more enjoyable. TIA

Congrats on the new trailer, I just got my first one back in March this year. I have not been too a lot of places but I enjoyed Lofer's Bend east & west on lake Whitney. I am wanting to go to Possum Kingdom as I have heard great things about that state park and lake. Glen Rose is a good area too if you want a short drive weekend getaway.

Comment

Ron, where are you located, and how far do you want to trip?

Comment

Gulf Waters RV park in port A is one of the best and is our favorite.

Comment

Inks lake state park, North Llano River state park, Seven Bluff's cabins and RV on the Frio River, Tyler State Park.

Comment

RVing

We’ve been to a few State Parks.

Lake Whitney - Nice big park with plenty of spots and most importantly
            In summer lots of shade.

Inks Lake - This is a huge park with lots of spots. Plenty of shade and easy lake access.

Lake Meridian - This is a very small park with only a few spots but very quiet and semi shaded to shaded. Very busy with day use folks on the weekend.

Mineral Wells - This is only an hour or less from our house so we go here a lot. Nice park, plenty of shady spots. Lake access from the campground is mixed.

Garner State Park - Good luck gettin a spot during summer. We went AFTER school started back up and had plenty of available spots. Also went during the week so very little day traffic.

Possum Kingdom - this is a small’ish park and there is basically zero shade to park under. Lots of beach area at the campground and good lake access.

If I remember any more I’ll add them later.

Congrats on the new camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re: RV ing in texas

You must make the Fredricksburg trip. Call and see when they will be having their flea market open, go to Alamo Springs for dinner, see the bats come out, make the downtown Main Street shopping, enchanted mountain, Lukenbach on a weekend usually has music going on, find out when they will have the exotic actions in Harper. There are several RV site places. Just Google. Also if you are a wine drinker take one of the winery tours on bus or visit individual wineries, all have tasting bars. Cheers, Wayne.

Comment

We just got back a couple weeks ago from mystic quarry at canyon lake. We did fredericksburg, luckenbach, gruene and floated the guadalupe from there

Mystic quarry has live bands, pool, horse shoes, corn hole, bat caves(boxes), organic garden you can pick from, 1 mile walking trail, full hookups and lots of shade. They also pick up your trash just sit it by the road, bring your ice to you at camp. It was awesome for me lol. All iv ever stayed at was corp places.
                Last edited by twistedmidnite; 07-10-2020, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Guys,..this is all good info. We live up by The Woodlands, north of Houston, but traveling anywhere in Texas is not a problem I will not be bringing my boat with us, but I'm open to hiring local guides, if on a lake. We're not really interested in hiking or biking, but will be taking our dogs on long walks.

Please keep the info coming.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                    Congrats on the new trailer, I just got my first one back in March this year. I have not been too a lot of places but I enjoyed Lofer's Bend east & west on lake Whitney. I am wanting to go to Possum Kingdom as I have heard great things about that state park and lake. Glen Rose is a good area too if you want a short drive weekend getaway.

Macown Valley should be added, # 18....

And Hamm Creek, # 24-25 has good shade. Close to the brazos, like walking close. The crew keep Hamm creek spotless, clean bathrooms 3 times a day, mow and weedeat constantly, my favorite park.

Comment

Nice! We are new owners as well. Picked up a Grand Design 5th wheel last week and we will be at Mineral Wells SP Sun-Thurs for our maiden voyage. PM if you decide to go to MW and maybe we can share dinner one night

Comment

Purtis Creek...…………
                        Any place, on Toledo Bend...……….

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                          Purtis Creek...…………
                          Any place, on Toledo Bend...……….

Purtis creek and Tyler are on my want to visit lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So far my favorite places have been Big Bend National Park and Gulf Waters RV resort in Port A. We’ve only been doing it for about a year but love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go during the week if you can, weekend hard to get in month or advance to get in. If you camper is 50 amp some places have fewer spots. Buy a state park pass and you get a discount on camping, try hitting some state parks

Comment

Working...
                              X