Help Me - for my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me - for my son

I started with an old 1970s Fiberglass long bow, and moved to compound and stayed.

My son however wants a Traditional bow. A long bow... I need help ya'll... I know nothing.

How old is he?

Comment

15. 5'8" pushing 190. He shoots 60lb compound now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a cheaper cabelas recurve that is 40# at 28”. Don’t use it and never will. It shoots good just not the prettiest thing. If he would like to try it, I’ll give it to him. Just let me know. Recurves are usually cut past center and aren’t as spine finicky. They are great to learn on. The turn out the trad shoots have been getting lately is pathetic. I’d jump at the chance to help a young man out. I don’t have arrows in light enough spine for it but if you were to get some 600’s, I think they would work out enough to learn on. Like I said, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
          I have a cheaper cabelas recurve that is 40# at 28”. Don’t use it and never will. It shoots good just not the prettiest thing. If he would like to try it, I’ll give it to him. Just let me know. Recurves are usually cut past center and aren’t as spine finicky. They are great to learn on. The turn out the trad shoots have been getting lately is pathetic. I’d jump at the chance to help a young man out. I don’t have arrows in light enough spine for it but if you were to get some 600’s, I think they would work out enough to learn on. Like I said, let me know.

This is why TBH is such a great place!!!!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ken,
            I will take you up on that, with the understanding that if you even want it back, its yours. If he decides its not for him, I will pay it forward or return it.

PM Inbound

Comment

Got your pm. It’ll be headed your way this week. Have him watch videos by Jeff Kavanaugh, Arnie Moe, and Jimmy Blackmon. Also let him know to only take the fundamentals from those videos. Trying to take on someone else’s form is a problem. At least for me. He has to be comfortable with his shooting style. Good luck to your son, I really hope he takes a liking to this awesome style of archery. If he doesn’t, that’s ok too. Just hold on to that thing until you hear of a kid who is curious about trad.

Comment

Good going Ken! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Well done Ken. How is the new Bob Lee treating you?

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                    Well done Ken. How is the new Bob Lee treating you?
                    I really like that bow. It’s a shooter. Just can’t seem to put the longbow down long enough to get to really know it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                      Good Man!

Comment

Get a good glove for smooth release. I like one with nylon finger tips from 3rivsrs archery online. Also I suggest he shoot three fingers under to limit variables on the arrow flight. That is what we teach kids in NASP and it works well for the kids. So well in fact I switched from spilt finger to three under in my personal shooting.

Comment

If you are in east Texas this weekend, come to Chester
                          You will be able to see many different types of longbows, recurves, equipment, that he can see, shoot, and ask questions about. It might help him decide what he whats.
                          We will have bow makers, equipment vendors, etc in attendance.

Comment

Bill,
                            We might do that.. I will talk to him tonight... once I identify where Chester is...

Ken,
                            I greatly appreciate it. Words cannot express how thankful I am.

Comment

Bill,
                              Can you give me some more information?

Comment

Working...
                              X