Southern Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Colorado

I'll be hunting mule deer second season this year. DIY on private land around 6800-7000 ft elevation. No ag plots on this property, but there are alfalfa fields within a couple miles on another ranch closer to the river. On X maps shows several water holes and a few meadows that could have good grass. I can't tell how much, if any, scrub oaks are on the property. No game cam pics. No one lives there or will have hunted it before the 19th. 1st time to hunt Colorado and mule deer.

Any tips would be appreciated!

You hunting the season that starts the 19th? If so I typically see the bucks higher up than the does, staging if you will, for the rut to start. Snow plays a big part as well on what elevation they will be at. So far there hasn’t been enough snow to bring em out of the higher elevations. Typically get as high as we can day before season and glass all day. When you find em they will typically be in the same area opening morning.I didn’t draw deer this year but a buddy did and we will be up around Gunnison. I have never hunted southern Colorado though so it may be a little different than what I’m used to. Good luck sounds like it’s gonna be a good hunt!

Comment

Following. Hunting otc elk tags second season. We will be in unit 81.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
        You hunting the season that starts the 19th? If so I typically see the bucks higher up than the does, staging if you will, for the rut to start. Snow plays a big part as well on what elevation they will be at. So far there hasn’t been enough snow to bring em out of the higher elevations. Typically get as high as we can day before season and glass all day. When you find em they will typically be in the same area opening morning.I didn’t draw deer this year but a buddy did and we will be up around Gunnison. I have never hunted southern Colorado though so it may be a little different than what I’m used to. Good luck sounds like it’s gonna be a good hunt!
        Yes, heading out that way on the 16th. Gonna do some scouting on the 17th/18th and start hunting the 19th. I cleared my schedule to hunt through the 27th, if needed. Looks like higher elevation is around 30-40 miles west of where I'm hunting. There should be resident deer that don't leave for higher elevation every summer, I would think.

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Big fire in southern colorado near Salida hope that's not near the private land your hunting. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
              Big fire in southern colorado near Salida hope that's not near the private land your hunting. Good luck
              No, that's about 120 miles from where I'll be.

Comment

Working...
              X