Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathews No Cam HTR

G'day guys,

Interested in hearing personal experiences and opinions of this bow.

I'm the first to admit that as much as I love archery I'm no expert and everything I've read and heard of this bow so far has spoken of how easy it is to tune and about it's deadly accuracy and all round great performance, which suits me to a tee! Although I haven't heard anything bad about it yet which is always suspicious to little old me.
    In Aus they're about $1600 now, so I wouldnt want to be spending that kind of money unless I was certain.

I've sold my sako 85 Bavarian to pay for a new rifle and I'm thinking that I'll sell my Win .270, one of my scopes and maybe my Bear Mauler to pay for a new set up (possibly a HTR) and better accessories as I'm just running trophy ridge stuff on my current bow.

Appreciate any advice or info.

JP

This is a personal opinion only. But I believe they will phase out the no cam if the havalon sells a lot better. And I believe they are. Then they will direct there attention that direction.

Comment

I don't get what all the hype about this halon bow is? can you explain why people are going crazy over it? To me it just looks like another dual cam

Comment

I purchased my HTR no cam from West Houston Archery. I am no expert but i've been using this Bow since September. I love it !! It is quiet and the arrows fly

I got my first harvest in November at 40 yards. Love my HTR no cam !!

Comment

I have the new Halon. It hits harder than any other bow I have owned. Much faster than the HTR which is my preference, after all 20 years ago bows were much slower and still did the job. To me its about what you like and how it feels. I had switched to an Elite, great bow, but just was not me. I shot the HTR and its all they promised, smooth quiet, and accurate. But when I shot the Halon I knew it was what I wanted. So shoot them both and in the end you shoot it no one else so do what feels right for you!! Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHunting View Post
            I don't get what all the hype about this halon bow is? can you explain why people are going crazy over it? To me it just looks like another dual cam
            It looks like just another dual cam bow, but it shoots like an HTR. The cams are in fact a hybrid of the Nocam system and a cam. Once you pull it past the first two inches of draw, it pulls like a Nocam. then when it returns to brace, the cam effect is only in the very end of the power stroke. This makes the arrow leave the bow level without setting it nock high to begin with. What it ends up being is a faster nocam with the same tuning advantages. Both of the Halons that I have sold paper tuned right out of the box at factory specs.

Comment

I went out to buy a new bow last year and compared No Cam to the ChillR. There was not contest for me, I took the ChillR home. I didn't understand all the hype about the No Cam. I am excited to get my hands on a Halon and see what it is all about. May end up replacing one of the ChillRs with a Halon.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add my opinions for the HTR. I have been shooting mine for about a year and I love it. The bow shoots great, and is very forgiving if I goof the shot. Broadhead tuning tool all of about five minutes. I toyed with the idea of keeping the HTR for a 3D bow for next year. Mathews is supposed to release a new 3D bow at the ATA show though, so I will wait and see what that is.

Comment

I buy and sell My bow every year and i have no real preference on brand, ive always shot whatever feels good to me. With that being said ive owned more mathews bows than any other brand due to the shootability ive always found in them. Ive had the no cam for a year now and has been my Most accurate bow to date. I blew peoples mind at a 3d shoot in lufkin texas this year with it, i shot the Halon yesterday and wasnt impressed, the halon 6 was stout to get the cams moving off the start, still pretty tame when released though. just depends if you want to sacrifice easy to shoot vs. a few more fps. Just my two pennies

Comment

Here is a pic of my 2 shots at 100 yds during the long shot competition in September with my no cam htr, hha kingpin sight.

Comment

It seems to me as though the single cam "phase" may be over. People are accepting that the two cam bows are more" versatile", maybe. I always liked my solo cams, but when Mathews went with the waffle riser, and I had a warranty issue they did not handle. I switched brands and now shoot a twin cam. And really it shoots great also. I do like the fact they may have moved on from the "waffle" riser.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        It seems to me as though the single cam "phase" may be over.
                        I think the single cam "phase" has ended for the foreseeable future. The last new Solo Cam that Mathews released was the Creed system. That system had basically hit the wall in terms of efficiency for solo cams. I have heard that the Creed was in the mid 90% efficiency range. That is as efficient as it could be made with the current bearings and string friction. I am sure that Mathews had been working on the Nocam system for a while so they would have something to replace the Solocam system.

I like the looks of the new riser better as well.

Comment

Mathews No Cam HTR

Man there's just too much to think about! Haha but I really do appreciate all the advice and opinions.

The more I think about it the more bows I'm considering. I've never owned a mathews but I've always wanted to, don't like Hoyt (purely because a guy I don't like uses one) and every pse I've seen shot I could have heard if I had of stayed home! Haha

I've always been more interested in being quiet and having a good shootability over speed but with my arrow weights (560gn mark) I'm considering the need to go a little faster but not ridiculous.

On that note the halon would probably win out. I did speak to one bloke in aus that has a halon 6 and he had troubles with one of the cams so mathews is sending a replacement.

I've got a mate doing a big song and dance about the chill R as well and he's telling me that's the way to go.

I dunno, to me a bit of speed, easy tuning, quiet and not much going wrong is what I want but I don't know if it exists!

What is the down range kinetic energy of the htr htx bows? I know it offends people but I plan on taking shots out to 70yds but only if I'm comfortable that the bow is able to deliver.
                          Last edited by JPHunting; 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshwt View Post
                            Here is a pic of my 2 shots at 100 yds during the long shot competition in September with my no cam htr, hha kingpin sight.

If Jurassic park comes to life I'm coming with you!

Great shooting though mate

Comment

I've always been more interested in being quiet and having a good shootability over speed but with my arrow weights (560gn mark) I'm considering the need to go a little faster but not ridiculous.

I've got a mate doing a big song and dance about the chill R as well and he's telling me that's the way to go.
                              If you want to shoot an arrow that heavy, I would pick a bow that has a little more speed to it. I shot the Chill R for hunting season last year. It shot great and was easy to tune as well. I think the Halon is a little better on the out of the box tuning, but the Chill R wasn't hard to get the broadheads to fly right out of either. the Chill R will probably be discontinued after this year if that makes any difference.

As far as down range kinetic energy, it all depends on the start speed of the arrow and the drag of the arrow. An arrow shot from a faster bow will have more down range velocity, and therefor more kinetic energy. The difference in speed between the HTX and the Halon6 is only 20 FPS. That isn't much.

Comment

Working...
                              X