Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have to identify yourself anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack S. View Post
    and i am not disrespecting them by refusing to give my ID for no reason and to refuse a search to my car, if it is a warranted search then go right but im not letting a cop search me for no reason
    Totally understand, but if I'm requesting to search your car it's probably during a traffic stop, and if you are stopped on a traffic violation you are required to produce ID. Not required to consent to vehicle search.

Comment

sorry i wont bend over for cops who i will remind you are the ones who will come and take your guns away, i beleive what is wrong with this country is the want to get rid of our rights on both sides of the political spectrum, the guns on the left and the privacy rights on the right wing,
      Wow. I personally will never come to take your guns away. I'm on the right wing side, and still respect your privacy rights. I have a job to do, based on the US Constitution and Texas laws. I love my job. I love working with a K9. I get great personal satisfaction from the fact that doing my job provides MOST of our citizens with a sense of security and the knowledge that when things go sideways we will be there as soon as we can to make things as right as possible. Some people we will never please, but most of them are on the wrong side of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac2410 View Post
        One of the hijackers from 9-11 was pulled over on his way to the airport. A little better police work may have prevented the worst terrorist attack on the US. ( where you headed, why, etc.)

I don't know one LEO that really cares what your name and address are. I ask for ID of every person I make contact with in an enforcement situation. Main reason is to confirm identify (picture matches name given.) Another reason is Warrant checks. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I found out that a person I let go without Identifying was a wanted murderer, pedophile, or even missing elderly.

I completely respect those who wish to exercise the right to refuse ID. Just don't take it so personal against LEO when we ask. I doubt you truly understand our intentions. We don't want to harass you, we just don't want to make a mistake that could have serious consequences.
        Well said. I'm looking for criminals, not law abiding citizens. MOST law abiding citizens have no problem providing proper identification. MOST CRIMINALS and wanted persons do.

Comment

Originally posted by Starman View Post
          Some of you boys are wearing a little too much tin foil.

I’ve lived almost 60 years and never been asked to produce ID by a police officer outside of a few traffic stops.

Of course, I’m not a criminal, so I probably wouldn’t have a problem if asked for my ID during the course of an investigation.

I choose to believe that the police are one of the few institutions that keep our society from breaking down.

Yeah, I’ll side with them over the rampant lawlessness that they have to combat.
          Thank you.

Comment

I really don't think it's giving up my rights to show ID to a cop. They have enough crap going on I'll cooperate anyway I can to get them back on track to protecting my city.
            I've never been asked for ID unless I was being pulled over or involved in something illegal when I was younger. If a cop just walks up and asks for ID out of the blue while I'm standing at a gas pump or somthing I would ask why though in a nice way. If the answer makes sense heck yeah I'd give it to him/her. I would def be curious why they want it. Nothing wrong with asking questions in my book just use your noggin.
            Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 05-15-2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
              I really don't think it's giving up my rights to show ID to a cop. They have enough crap going on I'll cooperate anyway I can to get them back on track to protecting my city.
              I've never been asked for ID unless I was being pulled over or involved in something illegal when I was younger. If a cop just walks up and asks for ID out of the blue while I'm standing at a gas pump or somthing I would ask why though in a nice way. If the answer makes sense heck yeah I'd give it to him/her. I would def be curious why they want it. Nothing wrong with asking questions in my book just use your noggin.
              Perfect!! And more than likely we both walk away happy!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

police dont have a right to have you identify yourself unless detained, they are supposed to fear us and to be our public servants not the other way around, some of you who are cop lovers are the same who would defend the redcoats
                      Collaborators is what the French called them.

My son is a LEO and deals with POS all day and night sometimes. He also knows when he pulls over someone, and the words they use when interacting will determine how aggressive he is with his stop. He has stopped folks to compliment their driving and patience. To give attaboys. Driving is a privilege, so you are bound by their rules. Standing on a corner and being asked for ID and where your going or coming from sounds a lot like Nazi Germany if you are not being detained and not suspected of a crime.
                      It the police world it is OK for them to lie to you to get info. LEO never mention that.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                        Sorry, not going to watch all your BS "twisted my arm real bad, got it on video"

Not on this video, all BS talk after the fact. What really happened? I'm guessing that stupid attitude is what got things started.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                          Okay, watched part of this one. Idiot who obviously had police called on him for something, then was uncooperative with cops responding. Plain stupid. Cops doing their job, idiot intentionally taking video hoping for a civil rights violation and trying to antagonize cops into a civil rights violation so he can make money. Same voice as the previous video you posted. "I want to do anything I can to **** off cops so they mess up and violate my rights so I can get rich".

You have lost all credibility. I've seen this and dealt with this many times in my career. IDIOTS are everywhere. Won't even look at your last post, bet it's the same idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                            Not in Texas. It is a criminal offense, but not arrestable offense. Only other non-arrestable offense is open container.

The new “texting and driving” law is also a citation only law.

If you issue a citation for speeding, the offender refuses to sign the ticket, and you do not arrest/magistrate them, it is because you are choosing not to do so.

Refusal to sign a speeding ticket gives the officer authority for a warrantless arrest.

Discretion applies, but refusal to sign the ticket is a pretty strong indicator that the court won’t be graced with their voluntary presence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                              Collaborators is what the French called them.

My son is a LEO and deals with POS all day and night sometimes. He also knows when he pulls over someone, and the words they use when interacting will determine how aggressive he is with his stop. He has stopped folks to compliment their driving and patience. To give attaboys. Driving is a privilege, so you are bound by their rules. Standing on a corner and being asked for ID and where your going or coming from sounds a lot like Nazi Germany if you are not being detained and not suspected of a crime.
                              It the police world it is OK for them to lie to you to get info. LEO never mention that.
                              Hmmm.....not sure what side of the fence you are on. I hope your son doesn't stop people to compliment their driving, that's a civil rights violation in and of itself. No problem in me admitting that lying to obtain information is okay. Been there, done that. Courts say it is okay. Still not sure where you are coming from with this. Can't ever remember cops demanding info from folks standing on a corner. If dispatched due to some complaint we have to do our job, but........hmmmmmm

Comment

Most police officers know when they can and can't ID somebody. Out of curiosity though, have any of you just been minding your own business, doing nothing wrong, or not been on some sort of scene where law enforcement had been called and had an LEO come up and want to see your ID? Because from a LE standpoint I know in 16 years I've never ID'd anybody that wasn't a witness, suspect, violator or somebody directly related to a call I was on...

Comment

Working...
                                X