Cehorn's Tank Blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cehorn's Tank Blinds

I have built several of these so far and wanted to post it up. I have gotten better and learned things with each I have made (sitting @ 5 right now). I used a 4” grinder for cutting out the windows and doors like others suggested. I cut 1 window at home and then the rest in the field once the blind is placed and I know where I want to see. I cut 1 big main window facing the feeder and I can shoot standing or sitting and the other windows are typically smaller (height & width). For the windows it is just a hole (no deer view, etc.) as I want it to look the exact same when I’m there and not there. I also didn’t want to spend the money or effort on actual windows. I did line the windows (see last 2 pictures) with pipe insulation to provide a softer window to rest a gun on and cover the not 100% straight cuts.

The door I made 3’ wide and attached the hinges after cutting the hinge side so the door would stay in place. Then I cut the other 3 sides of the door. The ribs were a little challenging as they are thicker than my grinder. The first few blinds I did I used a lot lighter hinge and had 1 that gave me issues in the field after it was slammed open. So the last couple I used a little heavier gate hinge. I used rubber industrial “base boards” around the doors to keep light out and hopefully a little weather and critters (snakes and rats mainly). I like a dirt floor for noise so they are just sitting on the ground. I did put a decent amount of dirt against the blind on the inside and outside to help with light, scent, critters, etc.

I usually don’t concern myself with camo on permanent blinds but I did spend about 30 minutes with a few cans of spray paint. I painted the inside with the darkest oops paint I could find which made it a lot darker. Without the paint it was like a skylight and with the paint it is pretty dark. I had some paint that wasn’t as dark as I would like for the inside so I spray painted a section that will be behind me black to help conceal me in the blind (see 4th pic).

On the inside, I added 2 ladder holders that will serve as bow holders and a heavy double hook that I can hang things on (backpack, jacket, etc.)(See 3rd from last pic). I wrapped the metal ladder holder with a towel and duck tape to reduce sound getting the bow on and off. I also discovered that placing a tv tray in the blind works perfect to set stuff on like water bottle, range finder, pistol, Thermacell, etc.

I have had a few hunts out of these now and so far have no complaints. I have stood at the feeder with others in the blind and they can't be seen. So far I haven't been busted in these things and I shot a pig out of 1 a couple weeks ago. In the future I may put a vent in the top to keep them cooler (they will never be cool though)

Window Cut & Camo
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4196.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	25131751

Door

Name:	IMG_4200.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	25131752

Door from Inside

Name:	IMG_4198.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	25131753

Inside - Door, Hook & Bowhanger

Name:	IMG_4199.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	25131754

Stand in Place - "Close Up"

Name:	IMG_4099.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	25131755

Stand In Place - From Feeder @ 20 yds

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	25131756

Thats Bomb-diggity

Comment

looks nice. Great work

Comment

Looks great.
        If I were doing it, I would do something to close up those windows when not hunting. Last year, we ended up having to napalm a couple of blinds because owls had gotten in through open windows and 'nested' for a period of time.

Comment

Where are you getting the tanks? How much are they running?

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
            Where are you getting the tanks? How much are they running?
            I've gotten all of mine from cpadgett on here. You can search in the classifieds and his posts should come up.

Comment

That's awesome nice job!

Comment

Good job

Comment

Sweet build, looks like those would be fun to hunt out of.

Comment

get a ceiling fan an inverter and a deep cycle battery and you would be set up on a hot day!

Comment

Tagging.

There's one in ft worth with my name on it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to get my hands on a couple of these.

Comment

Man these are nice.

Comment

does it have a floor?

Comment

Originally posted by Turney View Post
                              does it have a floor?
                              Mine does not. I prefer dirt so they are a little more quiet. Others on here have built these and put a floor in them. I think 1 or 2 mounted their blind to a boat trailer too.

Comment

Working...
                              X