Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Inheritance Question

Question?
    So there is 6 children, two live on family property, paid rent for approx 15-20 years on homes/land, then homestead was gifted to them in 2000 after death of father one has 1.5 acres the other has 2 acres. There is another 6 acres/pasture that connects to said property. This property will be inherited by the remaining 4 upon death of mother. One member of family who lives at property has maintained this pasture as well as found renters to board their horses on for some income for taxes etc. for as many years. Other 4 family members have not showed much intrest or helped maintain or upkeep this pasture property. Mom has said she now wants to include this one family member in this inheritance of 6 acres for doing the maintaining etc for the last 20 years in the amount of 1 acre that joins his/her property in the event the others sell. This has put a bit of divide in the 4 family members since this person has already received 2 acres. The others will inherit remaining 5 acres without having paid any rent or maintenance.
    what say yall

It is Mom's call period!

Comment

Sounds fair to me and none of it is any of theirs right now. Mom can divide it however she wants to because it is hers right now.

Comment

agree with what has been said above.

Comment

Inheritance can break a family in a heartbeat. I wouldn't feel entitled to anything and if I receive anything, consider it a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            It is Mom's call period!
            Yep, it's up to her. My Step Mother gave all of my Dad's money to the kid that mowed her yard after Dad passed away. They were very deserving. Contacted a lawyer to see what could bed done. He said nothing, it was her money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              Sounds fair to me and none of it is any of theirs right now. Mom can divide it however she wants to because it is hers right now.
              Yep....life's not fair

Comment

Mama said....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This is how I see inherence, which I think separates me from these millennials stereotypes, "It was not mine to begin with, so if I receive nothing I will not be upset if I receive something then I will be thankful!"

Comment

Like said....moms place she makes the call regardless what anyone else thinks.
                    Unless this land it worth a huge amount of money I dont see why anyone would care.

Comment

Seems this happens a lot more that "what should" happen. Mamma's call, regardless of what has been done/said in the past.

Comment

I have personally seen inheritance permanently ruin a family. The only real suggestion I have is that Mom take care of the will NOW and make sure her wishes are clear prior to death. The worst is undivided inheritance where the heirs have to divide amongst themselves.

Comment

That 1 family member has an adverse possession claim! Be careful.

Comment

Not to hijack a thread but I have dealt with this to an extent. Dad passed away and stepmom did what she pleased. I later found out that in that instance all belongings were mine and my brothers. Step kids didn't matter. Only bio kids. She has sold many items. Law requires an heir form to be signed by all bio children. It wasn't worth the fight in my opinion.

Comment

Take what she gives and be thankful. Life is too short to be disgruntled over something so invaluable.

Comment

Working...
                              X