Arrow speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow speeds

Okay playing with arrows again. Today I shot a 598 gn arrow with a foc of 24.8

Shot at 3 ft at 246 fps. 80.4 ke and .653 slug-ft
    At 10 yards. 244 fps. 79 ke and .649 slug-fts
    At 20 yards. 240 fps. 76.5 ke and .637 slug-fts

Hope to do the same with light arrows sometime this week

I think you will be suprised with the quietness of your bow over the light arrow. Also, shoot them at longer distances, 50+ and see if they are more accurate and more forgiving. Looking forward to the results.

Comment

Hey mudslinger. I'm still playing with this so to have info before you you go to Africa. I want to shoot at 30 through the chrono but it was nerve racking just shooting at 20.

I'm likening the strickland head. Just wish he had them at 300 gn. Fairly easy to sharpen also.

Comment

I appreciate that. I definitley have a lot to do between now and 2014, but that is still plenty of time to play. This will be a complete change between having to go to a stiffer arrow for the higher FOC and one that is going to be 250 to 300 grains heavier. I have some suggestions for the arrow (not a lot of choices for the spine), but I believe my biggest choice will be the broadhead. Lots of good choices for a single bevel 2 blade that is tougher than an Cape.

Comment

2014 will be before you turn around. It seems like it was just january and now we are in June. The good thing is that hunting season will be here before you know it.

One thing I'm finding out is that the program I have has me shooting a stiffer spine than I need. A friend made a 315 gn three blade. I cannot get it to shoot with my 200 spine, shoots okay with my 300 spine. He is working on a 300 gn two blade now. I'm waiting on this head before I start making changes. If it doesn't work out I will gear up this year on the 230 gn strickland.

Comment

Here is some pretty good info from another site about the single bevel heads, high FOC arrows and some research done.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              Okay playing with arrows again. Today I shot a 598 gn arrow with a foc of 24.8

Shot at 3 ft at 246 fps. 80.4 ke and .653 slug-ft
              At 10 yards. 244 fps. 79 ke and .649 slug-fts
              At 20 yards. 240 fps. 76.5 ke and .637 slug-fts

Hope to do the same with light arrows sometime this week
              Interesting, that's more speed loss than I would expect at just 20 yards.

Check with Broadhead tuning and see if the shafts are overspined. Overspined arrows slow down much quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                Interesting, that's more speed loss than I would expect at just 20 yards.

Check with Broadhead tuning and see if the shafts are overspined. Overspined arrows slow down much quicker.
                The pinwheel program tells me I'm weak with the 300 spine

Comment

What are you sharpening the Strickland with? That is a helluva broad head.

Comment

The pinwheel program tells me I'm weak with the 300 spine
                    Pinwheel is good and will get you close but in my experience the only way to tell for sure is to do an actual broadhead tune.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                      Pinwheel is good and will get you close but in my experience the only way to tell for sure is to do an actual broadhead tune.
                      This^^^^

To many dynamics and other factors. I never use programs at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                        What are you sharpening the Strickland with? That is a helluva broad head.
                        Right now I'm using a dmt diamond sharpner. It's not easy to keep angle but so far so good.

Comment

Right now I'm using a dmt diamond sharpner. It's not easy to keep angle but so far so good.
                          If you want to sharpen it just a little more. Go to the Autoparts store and get some 1000grit Emory Cloth. It will be where the autobody paints are. Use some spray adhesive and stick the emory cloth to a sheet of glass or acrylic sheet (anything really flat and solid works). Strop the edge on that 1000grit about 10times each side (maintain the angle!). If it's a single bevel blade you strop the flat side last. The flat must lay completely flat against the emory cloth when you work that side!

Do it 10 times per side until satisfied with the sharpness. Done right you'll achieve crazy sharpness with this method.

Comment

You do know Strickland makes a sharper for it right?

Comment

What is slug-ft?

Comment

Working...
                              X