Smoking a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a deer

I would like to smoke a deer on my pit!Do I need to use a piece of beef fat on top or will it even work.....anyone tried before?Thanks for the help!

No one?

Comment

its like smoaking anything else on the temp, low temp for long periods of time.......probably not as long since a deer is lean. dont know how it would taste though??

Comment

Aren't they hard to light.....

Comment

Originally posted by 1 big skeeter View Post
          Aren't they hard to light.....
          I once smoked some skunk

Comment

i bet you did......

Comment

The landowner where I hunted this weekend said we needed to smoke a hind quarter of one of the does my buddy shot. He said to do it just like a brisket and it would be excellent. I don't know what his definition of excellent is though. Seems like it would dry out to me, but then again, so do briskets if you don't do them right. Maybe try smoking for a while, then wrapping tightly in foil and adding some butter or olive oil to keep it moist...or the ever popular injection method.

Comment

The title of this thread leaves so much to the imagination.

Comment

When we make hog sausage we add store bought pork fat because even the wild hogs don't have enough fat. This makes me think a deer would definately need a good layer of pork/beef fat.

Comment

I've done hind quarters several times in a coon a#$ microwave. Inject them with 2 jars of cajun injector creole garlic butter, stuff with garlic and jalapeno, rub outside with mustard and sprinkle on slap ya mama, red pepper, and garlic powder. Also make sure to wrap in tin foil so that it won't dry out. A coon a#$ microwave is not identical to a smoker as it is more like an oven but it is the same principal.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I've smoked whole hind quarters before. Do it just like you would a brisket. I always baste mine with a mixture of butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and lemon juice to keep it from getting dried out. As lean as venison is, it dries out real quick. Smoke it for a couple hours, then wrap it in foil and dump in the rest of your basting sauce for the remainder of your cooking time.

Comment

There really are issues smoking large chunks of venison because the fat/silverskin between the muscles is nothing like beef and can and will leave a rancid taste. Yeah, you can inject enough stuff to maybe cover it up but the question is why would you want to? You would probably like it a lot better separating/trimming the individual muscles and then dry rubbing/smoking them and serving them by cross slicing.

Comment

Working...
                          X