Rifle Shooting Window Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle Shooting Window Height

I know this is a bowhunting website but there are many here that hunt with a rifle. I have built many stands before but am going to be building another soon. What height from the floor do most of you have your windows?

decide what chair/chairs you are going to use in the blind then take some measurements. all good stands are built around the chairs that will occupy them.

Comment

I agree....you need to find out what chairs you are going to put in your blind. Personally I have some old office chairs I bought at an office supply place that are beat up a little, but still in good working order and only $20. I used these for the comfort and also in case I messed up the height on the windows because I can raise the chairs up and down.

When I built my new blind this year, I sat in the chairs in the lowest position, took a tape measure, and measured a point from the ground to about chin level. This gave me a little room to raise the chair up if I needed to, but wasnt too low showing my entire body....just my head. This worked out great for me, and we used the same height for my buddy and he is using the green plastic chairs. He just has to raise his body up a little to get level out of the window, but still not having to sit on his foot. I guess it is going to depend on how tall you are also. Hope this helps a little and good luck to ya. I know it nerve racking cutting them cuz you dont want to mess it up.

Comment

The slope of the terrain where you place the blind can have an effect on where the window needs to be as well. A window cut for flat ground will be too high if you put the blind on top of a hill looking down (or too low, if you're looking up). Middle of the road window height combined with adjustable height chairs or stools is probably ideal.

Comment

If I remember right mine were around 40". I did as mentioned above, set the chair I was going to use in the stand and while sitting in it measured up to where it needed to be. I set my windows to the right height with my chair all the way down so the if I wanted to take on of my kids when they get a little older I could raise the chair so they can see or shoot out of it also.

Comment

I am with DWG. I have mine set at 39" and some at 40". I did the same thing as everyone else. I set the chair that I was going to use and measured from there.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I seem to remember I built my last one at 44", but I am a tall guy also. I think on this one I am going to go a little lower. It is for a buddy of mine and he is a little smaller than me. I hopefully will post the build when I get to it.

Comment

I built one with 36" windows that were extra large so I could bow shoot out of it.
                Now my dad hunts that blind and complains after each hunt that the windows are too low .

I think 39-44" is a good range. 42" might be juuust right.

Comment

We built our last ones at 42". Using 2x6 for base, then nailed plywood even with the bottom edge of the base thus putting the window at 42 inches. Seat height is not a big problem when you use adjustable height seats.

Comment

Tmag592, thats what I am thinking with the adjustable seat. You can always go up but too short is a problem

Comment

Working...
                    X