Sulfur smell in water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sulfur smell in water

Out of our well. Taste OK but coming out of the water heater or setting in the pressure tank for several days, it starts to smell. What can be done. I would like to solve it before we finish the house and move in.

Anode rod. How old is the heater?

Comment

Reverse osmosis system for your well. Mine is in the wellhouse. We had a slight smell also. Mine's been working for 22 years now with only one maintenence job. My well pump is the same age. (Now watch them both break next week)

Comment

Originally posted by 686PPP View Post
        Anode rod. How old is the heater?
        8 years it is in our travel trailer.

Comment

Flush the hot water heater, possibly replace and add a sodium hypochlorite (bleach) dosing pump

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
            Out of our well. Taste OK but coming out of the water heater or setting in the pressure tank for several days, it starts to smell. What can be done. I would like to solve it before we finish the house and move in.
            The sulfur is a gas. If you get a tank that you can aerate you water before it enters the house you will never smell it. Just have to find a way to let the gas out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
              The sulfur is a gas. If you get a tank that you can aerate you water before it enters the house you will never smell it. Just have to find a way to let the gas out of the water.
              This man is correct as well

Comment

Drill the well deeper.

Comment

This. Concrete cistern or dark poly tank with aerator. Problem solved

Comment

X2.

We have a 2500 gallon tank with that has one in it and it does the trick for our well.

Comment

Yes, a large vented tank. It lets a few things seperate, not just gas.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
                        There should be a capped hole in casing where pipe comes out of the ground, at your well. Pour a half gallon of bleach down this hole and run water. You will kill the small microbes in the pipe and eliminate the smell. Usually happens when heat is high. I do this at least once a year, sometimes twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                          Yes, a large vented tank. It lets a few things seperate, not just gas.
                          This is what we used and it worked great

Comment

Could also be a bacteria in your water heater.
                            Last edited by Texans42; 06-02-2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Chlorinator

Comment

Working...
                              X