Remington 870 express wood stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 870 express wood stock

So I have 870 express that I bought many years ago. I'll put on a zip on covered to protect the wood. I took it off last night and I discovered that the varnish on the wood has been removed. What do I need to do to refinish it back to the way it was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I don't know why the pictures posted so large.
    So does anyone have any experience with a stock doing this?

Comment

I have had stocks do that before.

I used Citristrip to get it down with a little light sanding and then use Tung oil.

Funny when I looked at your stock I thought it was my 870 since I have the same cover on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
        I have had stocks do that before.

I used Citristrip to get it down with a little light sanding and then use Tung oil.

Funny when I looked at your stock I thought it was my 870 since I have the same cover on mine.
        Very nice. That sounds like a easy fix. Thank you!

Comment

Citristrip. As noted will do an amazing job

Comment

That's not a heavy finish like the Wingmasters, most will sand off, with the exception of that "checkering" where you might have to brush in the citristrip.

The tung oil mentioned will look good (REAL tung oil, not "tung oil finish") or BLO.

You can also use a product called Fairtrimmer's, which works very well. Gives an oil look, and has hints of brown and red stain.

Comment

Working...
            X