Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Caught Trout - How Long will it stay safe in fridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

let the woman smell it they can tell ya fo sho

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      You are good to go. I do that all the time and never have had a problem. I have some now that I caught Monday. Cooked some Wednesday and cooking the rest today.
      How was your trip with Bruce?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        How was your trip with Bruce?
        Very tough. The storm surge prior to the storm rolling in really screwed everything up not to mention a NE wind 15-20 most of the day. Just a tough day but we pounded the water for a full day. We caught nearly all of our fish on the first wade. I put more fish in the box than Bruce and my sons combined. The bite wasnt very aggressive at all. We all lost a bunch of fish just because they werent hooked well which is always hard for me to figure out given treble hooks, lol. My son caught the biggest trout and it was on a tail. We cancelled the second day obviously and plan to go back and fish with him a few days in the fall. He seems like a great guide who puts in the effort. I was really happy with those that recommended him to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Very tough. The storm surge prior to the storm rolling in really screwed everything up not to mention a NE wind 15-20 most of the day. Just a tough day but we pounded the water for a full day. We caught nearly all of our fish on the first wade. I put more fish in the box than Bruce and my sons combined. The bite wasnt very aggressive at all. We all lost a bunch of fish just because they werent hooked well which is always hard for me to figure out given treble hooks, lol. My son caught the biggest trout and it was on a tail. We cancelled the second day obviously and plan to go back and fish with him a few days in the fall. He seems like a great guide who puts in the effort. I was really happy with those that recommended him to me.
          Never fun when the weather throws you a curve ball like that, but glad to hear you still caught some fish.

Comment

Smell it, your nose will tell you but I wouldn't blink an eye assuming it's stored well. I like mine dry with no moisture in the bag at all so I actually don't rinse them before putting the fillets in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post
              I've had a stack of fillets in the fridge for over a week and they were fine. I probably wouldn't go that long now, that's back before I knew better! Your nose is your friend, as long as they've been kept cold and pass the sniff test you should be ok.

This! So long as the don't smell like something you wouldn't eat they are good to go. This happens to me regularly. I always bring home filets and swear I'm going to vacuum pack them and freeze them and it never fails that this process takes 5-6 days! It's not ideal but I've yet to have a bad batch. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Properly cared for, 6-7 days should be no problem.

Comment

Keep them in baggies in water for 3-4 days in the fridge. The water gets rid of the blood especially with Reds. A little salt helps preserve them.

Comment

Working...
                  X