Won't score high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't score high

Not the best buck I've ever killed but maybe one of the tallest racks. One of 4 mature bucks we had on camera and we had named him Tall Boy. Not a high scoring buck but a beautiful buck to see in person with the high rack. I've killed a few P&Y bucks over the years but this one is just a good looking typical 8. I'm guessing 5.5 in age. Had him come in opening morning and had him as close as 15 yards but I was waiting on the right shot. Always turned the wrong way or a deer in front or right behind. After 10 minutes something spook him and the 2 other bucks out. No show that evening or Sunday morning. Laid off Sunday evening and hunted another stand. Possible cull buck and some does showed up but that was it.

Monday morning, which was our last hunt before heading home, found me back at my feeder stand. Feeder went of and nothing showed up for about 10 minutes when a fawn showed up and then another. At 7:30 one of the fawns kept looking off and I new something else was coming in. after a minute or so one of the 3.5 year old bucks that was with him opening morning came into sight. He slowly worked his way toward the feeder. I cought a glimps of something else moving in and instantly saw the tall rack working it's way thru the brush. He walked up and stayed on the backside of the feeder not giving me a shot. I told myself the first shot he gives me I'm taking it. I started looking at the spot on him I wanted to hit. He moved in close to the feeder and suddenly turn slightly quartered away. I came to full draw and buried the pin just above the joint and away it went. I never saw the arrow hit him but I heard a smack like a board broke against a tree and saw my arrow hanging out the side I hit him on almost what appeared full length. His first jump he went chest first into the ground and skid for about 5 feet before regaining himself and heading into the brush and out of sight. I thought I heard a crash but was not for sure as the other deer were running off in the same direction. My heart sunk as my first thought was did I hit him in the heavy joint next to the shoulder blade. I kept playing it thru my mind and kept seeing the same thing.

After a 40 minute wait I walked out to where he was standing and there was my arrow laying on the ground with the broadhead and about 3 inches of arrow broken off. It was covered in bright red blood about half way and along side of the 4 foot skid mark on the ground was an inch wide stream of blood the whole length of the skid so I immediately started feeling better. I started to slowly walk the trail he left on and found just spotty blood but after only 15 yards I looked up and saw a white belly. I immediately gave the Good Lord his just thankyou for his blessing.

Ended up I hit him right where I was aiming, right thru the heart, and the broad head was just under the skin on the off leg after breaking the bone completely into which was the load smack I heard.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hornytoad; 10-18-2015, 09:19 AM.

Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice buck, score doesn't mean anything in reality

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Very nice congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Definitely a cool looking deer!

Comment

Congratulations and great story. Great looking buck. Glad you got a second chance at that buck. Fine shooting if sounds like, too

Comment

Great Hill Country buck. Good age, nice mass, he is going to eat real good . Nice shot!

Comment

Nice one, way to go!

Comment

Nice deer!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Awesome story, but an even better buck...

Comment

Working...
                              X