Thinking about going from diesel back to gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
    I currently don’t run any diesels only gas engine 1 tons and 1/2 ton all gas engines. We have some older and some newer my older 1 ton with 8.1 liter gas pull well with 28 foot stock trailer and 26 foot equipment trailer with weight from 5k to 18k weight, but our newer 1 ton with a 6.2 liter gas engine can pull the load but when heavy weight is on it , seems to constantly want to down shift and run high in rpm range. Now with the Chevy 1 tons you can’t get much option on gas motor any bigger than 6.2 that being said I think if pulling is your priority above cost of fuel and cost of maintenance if I were you I’d lean toward the diesel for the pulling power ease.
    The Chevy gas engine 6.2 will be around 450 torque, and Chevy duramax 6.6 diesel around 910 torque this will night and day on pulling trailer.
    I currently don’t own any diesel because of cost of fuel/maintenance and where I’m at we constantly have issues finding clean diesel fuel
    Hope this helps in some way for your decision

The 6.2L engine isn’t available in the HD trucks and unless it was seriously re-tuned would perform poorly in that platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

my tundra pulls a 8k travel trailer no prob..

I even towed a 10k rig last weekend with a bobcat and 2 buckets on my dual axle HD trailer.... yea I noticed it was there but had no problem towing it around... One thing I wish I had was dual brakes on the trailer to stop better tho

Unless you gonna be towing any heavier on a more consistent basis then you can easily justify jumping into a gasser

Comment

We pulled our 10k camper through Colorado with my 17 Duramax, there are some passes I can't imagine trying to do in a gas truck. I got anywhere from 11-14.5 mpg in the diesel. The mpg is awesome when not towing . Gas mileage being better would take a long time to pay for the cost difference in fuel types, but not having to stop and get fuel constantly is nice. I had power and then some to pass folks when needed. As far as maintenance I guess I'm missing the big difference on maintenance cost. When done at scheduled intervals the cost difference between gas and diesel seems negligible.
        I also bought a work truck with convenience package. I wanted rubber floors, towing mirrors, and back up camera. Getting this package made the truck alot cheaper out the door than a bunch of the higher optioned gas trucks. Of course I could have bought a gas truck in this package and saved more money, but the sole purpose of the truck was towing with the family.
        I can justify the 8k cost difference all day long to me in power and convenience difference alone. I don't think I could ever go back to a gas truck.

Comment

Don’t do it

Comment

The 7.3 is anemic at best. The newer 6.2 Ford makes just as much torque in a gas platform, but is MUCH nicer for daily driving. I don’t think you’ll notice anything other than higher rpms when towing 7k or less.

Comment

I have a f250 gasser and pull a 3 horse trailer with 3 horses in it and I have never had an issue with pulling or stopping. 10 times better than the half ton with a 2 horse behind it

Comment

Got gas?

Everybody is making the switch back to gas. Except for flat billers with the bro lean on daddy's lifted F250 and no trailer hitch. DO IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  i understand.
                  Some people simply can't deal with the amount of tail a diesel pulls in.
                  Some guys just arent made to handle that.
                  But gassers are nice.. For getting groceries, buying tampons, and parking in front of diesel pumps on the way home from knitting class at the rec center.
                  Some of them come with free rainbow stickers i hear.
                  lmao!

As for the Op, keep that 7.3 and use it. You already know it pulls that load just fine and it doesn't have a car note attached to it. Save $10K/year and drive that beast till she won't go no mo'
                  Last edited by Sackett; 06-29-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I just went from a gasser to a diesel, had a 14' f150 CC max towing eco boost and for power is was great even for a 10,000 pound Camper but the truck itself was way too soft. Crosswind made me very nervous, so I went to a 18' F250 Power stroke. For towing I will not go back, but if I did not tow anything over 7 or 8 thousand pound I would go back to the half ton

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      The 7.3 is anemic at best. The newer 6.2 Ford makes just as much torque in a gas platform, but is MUCH nicer for daily driving. I don’t think you’ll notice anything other than higher rpms when towing 7k or less.
                      Oh there's gonna be a difference, $700 per month difference

my 7.3 pulls my 3 horse big arse horse trailer with horses in it just fine for no truck payment

Ranchdog

Comment

I’m in the same boat brotha. I’ve got an 05 Powerstroke 6.0 that’s paid for. It’s time for a new ride and as much as I want to go grab a 2018 Superduty I just don’t know if i can justify it for the lack of pulling I do. I haul a 9k trailer a few times a year and other misc stuff from time to time. But I’ve never NOT had a diesel and don’t want to start now, the thought of not having enough truck when I need it scares me. I’m really thinking about keeping the old Powerstroke and buying a new half ton to drive, and I’ll still have the diesel for when i need to hook up to something.

Comment

I went from three 3/4 diesel 4x4s to a tacoma. Traded the last diesel in on wifes 1/2 ton high country with the 6.2L. We use her truck for long trips and pulling. The small lack of power when pulling my boat (up hill) is more than made up for smoother ride, throttle response, cheaper maintenance and smoother ride. And yes, both the 5.9 cummins and the duramax were tuned. The gas motor suits MY needs

However I dont pull that far that often anymore. If I was in the shoes of the OP Id prolly stayed in a diesel

Comment

You'll regret it, I still do

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

I've got two 7.3s and I agree-they're probably comparable to a newer gas in performance. Stick with 3/4 or 1 ton-stopping/control is more important than power with any of these newer trucks.

Besides-if yours is a crew cab 4x4 you could sell it in the classifieds and come close to paying for a new gas rig. Just don't plan on selling a gas truck-you'll lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                The 6.2L engine isn’t available in the HD trucks and unless it was seriously re-tuned would perform poorly in that platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Sorry I was referring to the 6.0 liter gas, what i got in one of my newer 1 ton
                                I don’t think this 6.0 gas will come anywhere close to the torque of the 6.6 Diesel engine if he mainly wants to pull
                                Mine will pull a heavy load (gooseneck with a tractor or skid steer) but really runs high on rpm doing it and works the down shifting quite a bit when loaded going up hills and passing nothing like the old gas 8.1 liter I’ve got in another older truck
                                Our newer 6.0 gas is a nicer truck than our old one ton but they don’t have torque to pull as much as the older bigger gas motors, or nothing like the torque of the newer diesel 6.6 duramax

Comment

Working...
                                X