Water guzzler build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water guzzler build questions

So im thinking about getting two 330 gallon totes for a watering station for use down from my corn feeder (out of range of the corn throw....LOL). Ive seen a lot of threads and posts on this topic...

but what I haven't seen discussed is winter care/freezing concerns. Do these freeze up and crack PVC fittings in the winter? What precautions do yall take if so? Run year round? drain thru winter?

Also, haven't seen many pics or recent posting on these....so if you have put a few of these together, lets see some updated pics of your water collection/water guzzlers.

Thanks, and hope everyone enjoyed a merry Christmas! I added a protein feeder to my arsenal last year, a hog trap fall, and for Spring..its the water system and maybe a food plot!! Anything to bring more game in and keep it there.

I did mine with a single tote, about a 10 gallon galvanized trough, and a plastic cattle trough float. I used a piece of a garden hose as the piping and haven't had any issues in the 5+ years I set it up. I replace the hose piece last year just because the sun had take a toll on it. I staked down the trough on both sides to secure it, added some screen over the top with about a 6"x6" opening (keeps animals like coons bathing in it). Also make sure you put a stick in there so mice can crawl out if they fall in. Birds appreciate it too! I left it above ground so I can easily disconnect it and clean it if need be. We've got a ton of hogs and have yet to have even them screw it up.

Comment

I buried the PVC going to small trough bought at tractor supply. I wrapped all pvc in pipe wrap before burying it & the piece going from tote into ground

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
        I did mine with a single tote, about a 10 gallon galvanized trough, and a plastic cattle trough float. I used a piece of a garden hose as the piping and haven't had any issues in the 5+ years I set it up. I replace the hose piece last year just because the sun had take a toll on it. I staked down the trough on both sides to secure it, added some screen over the top with about a 6"x6" opening (keeps animals like coons bathing in it). Also make sure you put a stick in there so mice can crawl out if they fall in. Birds appreciate it too! I left it above ground so I can easily disconnect it and clean it if need be. We've got a ton of hogs and have yet to have even them screw it up.
        this is good to know....we have a lot of hogs out at the place, and I was wondering how bad they would tear things up. About how long does the full tote last? Do you have rain collection tied into it also?

Comment

So im off and Running! I picked up two 330 gallon totes. First one for the on location water storage tote, and the second will be the filling/transfer tote. Need to fab this up when the weather breaks and get this going. I will start with a simple water station, and maybe add water collection/water guzzler roof at some point.

Comment

Subd.

Comment

Thought Id post an update from the original post....its that time of year again. Last year, I ended up setting up both totes in different locations and used two different style troughs for the deer to access the water and trucked water in as necessary. They worked fairly well, but I did empty water out of the totes over winter to ensure no freeze damage. Its about time to set them up again. I left the actual water troughs with water in them. Noticed that when I started feeding Cottonseed about 2 months ago, the water consumption went WAY up. The deer have also been making short work of my 300 pound DIY protein feeder. They cleaned it out completely in 10 days. I was hoping to feed protein year round, but not sure I can afford to keep allow them access to it. I may be looking at one of those ASF timed protein feeders in the future so I can at least regulate the feed some.

This year, I scored a 1100 gallon galvanized trough for free! 2 feet tall and 10 foot diameter. This will become another watering station, but im worried it may suffer from more evaporation because its so big. But....free is free. Just have to try it and see how things go i guess.

I may have to invest in a third tote so I can "tote" water to each of the locations. Hoping to get that set up soon and get water out to these locations.
              Last edited by rbljack; 03-29-2022, 09:32 PM.

Comment

You could always fab up a lid for the 1100 tank or at least cover part of it.

I got a 300 gallon Rubbermaid trough from tractor supply that they were giving away because it didn't have the fitting for it and they were remodeling, was thinking I'd cut a round plywood top for it and bolt it down and see how that does.

How long does a full tank last?

Comment

Those old fiberglass satellite dishes make really good rain catchers that can set on top of your totes, or be plumbed to one.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X