Bone Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone Stock

Someone on here talked about simmering deer bones for days to make bone broth from. It was a comment on another post. I have looked but can’t not find it. Anyone remember?

Can’t say that I recall the post, but I make bone stocks quite often. For what it’s worth, I’m happy to share what I know if it’s information you’re looking for.

Comment

I have a turkey neck in the Instapot now. You can cook bones in a slow cooker on the stove or a pressure cooker. It takes awhile, so go low and slow for stove and crock pot, the pressure cooker doesn't allow evaporation and is simply faster. The results are the same. Just add enough water to cover bones.
      The bones will become soft and the silver skin and cartilage melts (sorta). If you want to add herbs or anything except salt wait till the last half hour or so. Slow cooker and stove top expect overnight cooking, until we got the Instapot the crockpot was the go to method for us.
      Last edited by masonred; 12-23-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Hank shaw has a good recipe for making stock.

A recipe for a rich venison stock you can use for rice, soup, stew or to drink on its own. This recipe works for all forms of venison.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Steve rinnella aka meateater has a pretty good recipe how to on his website. Super simple. Just save the leg bones, the cartilage at the joints is best.

Here’s my added tip:

Once it’s done, I pour into red solo cups and freeze. Once frozen, I cut the cup off the stock. The frozen cup-shaped blocks go into gallon freezer bags. Throw said stock into stews, beans, soups, etc.
          if you have the freezer space, it’s nice to have and not rely on bouillon cubes

Comment

Working...
          X