Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colton View Post
    I bet he is laid up dead/dying somewhere
    That is what I am hoping, but I would like to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
      I’ve never seen buzzards get on a coyote
      I don’t think anything will eat them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Buzzards will eat them but they typically won't touch them for a week and a half to two weeks. I am pretty sure, it's because they know that coyotes normally smell like dead stuff and they know a coyote will eat them and most anything else. So they don't want to land, then walk up to a coyote that is still alive. Once it's to the point of very rank and been in the same spot for close to two weeks. They will eat them and quickly, once they start. I used to kill a lot of coyote, coons, possums and skunks years ago. Skunks they would be on, sometimes within minutes of me tossing them, possums quite often the same day I tossed them out in the pasture. They would typically let a coon lay a couple of days to three days, before they will eat a coon. Then like I said close to two weeks on coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
        So my neighbor came over a week or so ago, he was telling me about his cows calving and a big beautiful coyote that was hanging around eating the afterbirth and generally making the cows nervous. Well our first ride in the ranger to to check things out, there stood Houdini at 60 yards looking at us. I told the neighbor to keep driving and circle back to the house so I could grab the 17. We got back and sure enough he was still there, but this time he disappeared into the wood line when we got within 200 yards of him. Several evening rides over the past week or so have resulted in 2 more sightings with Houdini vanishing in to the brush with no shot opportunities. Well today we notice a new calf and start that way, Houdini stands up about 30 yards behind the cow and hit mach 7 headed for the fence. I whistle at him twice and he keeps running, the neighbor barks at him and he throws on the breaks to see what it was. I drop the crosshairs on him at 80 yards, they lock solid right where his neck joins his body as he is facing me. I squeeze the trigger and he folds up like a cheap lawn chair. I mean it was instant, he just crumpled up. I chambered another round and watched thru the scope for about 10-20 seconds and decided he is down for the count. I close the door on the ranger and we high 5, talked about how he just folded up and what pose I was going to mount him in. We drive down to pick him up, and Houdini is gone. I am talking vanished in to thin air. We both saw him fold up!!! I looked for any trace of blood and as expected with a 17 I found nothing, I crossed the fence and searched about 75 yards of wood line........ nothing. I just can't help but wonder if that indeed was his final act.
        He may be dead, but the only way you will know, is wait a week or so. If it's dead, it will start to smell really bad around a week to two. Multiple of the coyotes I shot with my 17 HMR, I found, once they started to get really rank. I found they often would crawl under some very dense short brush. I will only shoot coyotes in the head with a 17 HMR now.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          He may be dead, but the only way you will know, is wait a week or so. If it's dead, it will start to smell really bad around a week to two. Multiple of the coyotes I shot with my 17 HMR, I found, once they started to get really rank. I found they often would crawl under some very dense short brush. I will only shoot coyotes in the head with a 17 HMR now.
          It is really thick across the fence, I did look in it for him but didn't have the desire to crash thru the brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
            I agree 100% with you on the shot placement I made with a 17 HMR. However, I have shot pigs out to 100 yards ( I know it is not the same ) in the ear and they were DRT. The way he folded up I kind of thought I broke his neck. Now I see that was not the case. I guess I should have went for a head shot, but when he stopped running and the crosshairs locked on his chest neck area I sent it down range. Live and learn I guess, I got caught up in the moment. It is a shame, I had already told the boss to make room for a full body mount if I killed him.
            Don't lose confidence in the trusty HMR. Same scenario has happened to me with coons several times, since then only head shots on all varmints. Since I started doing that haven't had any Houdini issues.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              Don't lose confidence in the trusty HMR. Same scenario has happened to me with coons several times, since then only head shots on all varmints. Since I started doing that haven't had any Houdini issues.
              Oh no, I love that HMR. It was all shot placement on the yote. I just can't believe he folded and then disappeared. We I shot he went down right now, you would have thought he got hit with a 7 mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Reminds me of the recent thread the guy killed a yote, put in the bed of the truck and a few minutes later it was alive in the back.
                Happen to have the link to the thread of remember the title/OP? Would love to see that one

Comment

Originally posted by GWilly View Post
                  Happen to have the link to the thread of remember the title/OP? Would love to see that one

Comment

It's a myth that buzzards won't eat coyotes. They absolutely will if they're hungry.

If you're in a highly populated (animal) area where there's lots of road kill and other stuff to eat, they will pass on a coyote to eat a deer, but they will absolutely eat coyotes and any other carrion if they're hungry.

Comment

I shot a coyote last year. He dropped in his tracks. I went up to him and took a couple of pics with my gun laying on him. Went and got back in the stand for another 30 minutes and he was laying there the whole time. I drove up to him in the Mule to load him up and he got up and ran off.

Comment

time to bring out the big gun and make sure he cannot get up

Comment

A 17HMR is not nearly enough gun to be shooting coyotes with and to expecting a DRT kill.. Most times they will run off from this unless its a ear hole or eyeball shot and even then it wont be 100%. Just not enough energy in that pea shooter..

Comment

Hope he is dead. I had a wild housecat once that terrorized my yard cat for several months. It took about a year and 4 hits with a .22 to kill that sucker. Toughest cat I have ever seen. 1 shot between the eyes at 2 yds, 1 shot in the face at 20 yds. and 2 shots in the side at 10 yds. Big and nasty ole Tom cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              What cartridge ... 17 HMR or one of the 17 centerfire variants ?

If the HMR, doesn’t surprise me as there’s not enough ft/lbs of energy to kill ‘em stone dead
                              agree.. the 17 HMR is a rabbit and sparrow gun. aside from the "one time at band camp" stories, it's a pathetically weak round. I was shooting coons a few years ago with one, and it wouldn't even drop them on body shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                                Reminds me of the recent thread the guy killed a yote, put in the bed of the truck and a few minutes later it was alive in the back.
                                Man that reminds me of a hunt I had 6 months ago.

My buddy and I killed a coyote. We get up to him and he says, WHOA he is still alive I saw him blink. I said he is dead as a doornail your seeing crap. So I grab his leg and start dragging him to the truck.

I get 150 yards and take a break. I let go of his leg, and when I did he lifted his head and sat up halfway

I jumped and said ahh hell no. We then shot him with our pistol.

The funny part was I was going to throw him over my shoulders to walk him back to the truck. Glad I didn't do that

Comment

Working...
                                X