25-06 vs .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    due to bullet B.C., a 25-06 shooting a 110 gr bullet will be more accurate with greater long range potential than 270 shooting the same weight bullet. 130 gr pills is the preferred bullet in the 270.
    That makes sense. 95% of my shots are inside 200yards but at least now I have an excuse to buy the .25-06 I want!

Comment

Like many, I have both

Pros: both kill well...pigs, deer, axis; both shoot flat...117 or 130 grain...pick one

Cons: bullet size limits 25-06 but that’s why I have a 308, 375 H&H, etc
      I’d prefer my 270 for elk

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        6.5 creedmore

not to be picky bro but you misspelled 6.5 manbun

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          I am a gun addict. I have both. I hate the .270, 30-06 and .243 and I realize that they are all very capable cartridges. I have rifles in all three of those calibers. I have always had a soft spot for the 25-06. I had one built specifically for an antelope hunt and have always believed that 100-117 grain bullets are ideal for speed goats. Took the 25-06 on an antelope hunt and watched a bullet land 2.5 feet to the right of my goat at 300 yards. Apparently the wind that blows in Wyoming doesn't like Texan bullets. Sorry for the testimonial but to answer your question it will depend on your needs and intended use for the rifle. I personally feel that 25-06 is a bit light for 200 lb mule deer but is ideal here in Texas and our little deer. The .270 is a great cartridge and will kill anything between Mexico and Canada. I still hate it though! Another thought....I have never seen an ammo store that didn't have some flavor of .270 on the shelf. 25-06 might be a bit harder to find in a pinch.

My wife and I have killed several 200lbs mule deer with a 25-06. 117gr hornady SST.

No problem whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd pick the .25-06.
            It will take any game you want.
            I get a kick out of the guys who think you need a .300 Win Mag for anything bigger than a rabbit.
            Splitting hairs between a .277-06 and a .25-06 to make the same argument is a whole new level.

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
            Took the 25-06 on an antelope hunt and watched a bullet land 2.5 feet to the right of my goat at 300 yards.
            It would take a 60 mph crosswind to push that much drift in 300 yards. The need for a wind hold didn't occur to you as you tried to steady yourself in that gale and somehow you were surprised by the result? Here's your sign...
            I gotta admit that I'm impressed with your ability to soak up the recoil and get your scope back on the animal well enough to see the impact in just 1/3 of a second.
            Last edited by meltingfeather; 11-28-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
              folks who own or owned both of these calibers, please school me on 25.06 capabilities, pros/cons.

I own a .270, but I've always wondered about a 25.06

Biggest game a 25.06 can drop.
              accuracy
              shooting/range/power
              recoil
              ammo
              I've owned both and you should definitely buy a 25-06!! I think there is an awesome deal on a beautiful Remington 700 CDL 25-06 in the classifieds right now! You should go buy it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I solved the sexy and exotic name dilemma by telling every I shoot a 27-06!

cricman

Comment

I shoot them both. Like them both, but there's something about fast and flat that I like more. Took a large Whitetail last year with the 25-06 @345 yds. No pass through, but he was DRT. Nothing wrong with having them both!. That being said I am selling my safe queen .270 and keeping the 25-06 and a .35 Rem. I like the spread between the .25, 117gr and the .35, 200gr bullet.

Comment

Dang, meltingfeather breaking necks out here

Comment

I have both and It’s personal preference in my book. I enjoy both and have taken lots of animals with both cartridges. There will always be both in my safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                        Dang, meltingfeather breaking necks out here
                        lol... known to be a smart arse

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          So if I am already shooting 110 grain bullets out of my .270 then there is really no reason for me to add a .25-06?
                          Unless you want to shoot 150’s at larger animals.

I have much experience with both. And both are deadly. I now carry a .270 with 130 grain fed fusions for “serious” hunts. (Bucks and boars). Big boars are a serious test on body shots. .The 270 works.
                          However, the “man bun gun” is my second favorite. Don’t knock the creedmore till you kill with it. Half way between the .25 and the .277.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                            To be honest I have used whatever I find at Academy. Remington Core loct or Horniday SST. I see Federal Premium with 115 grain Nosler Partition Vital Shock online for $21.99 per box. Is this what you are shooting?
                            I shoot the Federal Vital shock. You can get the Federal Gamekings on- line for about $24.50 with free shipping. Great bullet. The Nosler partitions are a little more at about 28ish a box. Not bad pricing when Academy sells the Remington corelokt for around $28.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              How did you become a gun nut if you hate guns?

Maybe something was lost in translation or I was tired and didn't make my point. I LOVE guns. I just don't care for .270 or .243. I believe thAt the 30-06 is an amazing cartridge but I am a .308 guy therefore the 30-06 is looked at like the ugly sister. I prefer short action cartridges but have a little bit of everything. (I also hate magnum cartridges but I have somehow accumulated several.

To answer OP's question.....get the 25-06 because I don't like the .270!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                My wife and I have killed several 200lbs mule deer with a 25-06. 117gr hornady SST.

No problem whatsoever.

That's fantastic! I didn't say it couldn't. I just want more....bullet weight and diameter. Please understand I have killed hogs with .22LR. And deer with a .223 and 22-250. They all died I just feel more comfortable with a heavier round.

But then again....! I also think a 70 poind hog is best shot with a .30 caliber bullet.

Comment

Working...
                                X