Big Bull Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bull Down!

Well I can honestly say that the July scouting trip paid off. I hung several cameras and cleaned shooting lanes to hang a tree stand while on that trip. I got tons of elk pictures! First morning I hunted one of the spots and saw two elk out of range. We decided to spike in 2 miles that afternoon. By the time we got camp setup it was 4pm. I cleaned up in the creek and headed to the best looking spot I had found back in July. I pulled the sd card from the camera and hung my stand. It was 5:45pm. I scrolled through the pics and my jaw dropped. Three cows and a nice bull had passed at 3pm!
    As I looked through the pics there were a lot of elk using that trail. I saw nothing that evening but knew it was just a matter of time. The next morning I climbed in the stand at 5:45 and waited on daylight. I sat till 10am and saw nothing. I went back to camp, ate and looked through the pictures again. All hours of the day the elk were passing so I hurried back and was settled in at noon. As the clock ticked and the hours passed I began to wonder if anything would show. I did a few cow calls and I look left and there's a spike bull at 35 yards! He left without getting closer. I made a few more cow calls and waited. I heard something and here comes this good bull. He came right to the crossing which was 13 yards. Man is this really happening? I ready myself and he never stops so I follow him and next thing I see is my arrow drove nearly to the fletching right behind his shoulder! He runs about 60 yards then all is quiet. I wait 30 minutes then sneak out and hurry back to camp to tell my buddies. Since I didn't hear him crash I decided it best to wait till daylight to track. This morning we all went in and there he was laying where I last saw him!
    Shot him with my girly 47# Palmer Longbow.
    Goldtip shaft with 250gr up front. Magnus stinger 150gr 2-blade 520gr total arrow weight. I am very blessed to say the least and to be with great friends. Colorado public land DIY
    The hole we found him in

Last edited by SwampGhost; 08-31-2015, 06:17 PM.

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing your hunt

Comment

Unreal!!! Big congrats, man!!!

Comment

Wow very nicely done sir!!!! And with a longbow at that, truly awesome congrats !!!!

Comment

Very nice congrats!

Comment

Awesome story and trophy, Congrats to you on a well earned trophy!

Comment

Wow that's awesome.congrats

Comment

legit harvest sir!! where was this taken?

Comment

Big congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Well Done sir

Comment

That is awesome. Congrats.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Awesome! congrats!