Ideas for a simple patio cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been in our house for a lot of years and have been talking about a patio cover for as many years. I am finally going to do it.

It will be 10' from out from the house and approximately 20' long. I will use 6" x 6" posts at either 5 or 6 feet apart, only for looks not because of weight. Not sure if I should attach to the concrete slab or dig hole and concrete in the ground ???
    Tin roof, 2 X 6 rafters.

Anyone that has done a DIY patio cover I would love to see some pics.

Thanks

Looking at this pic, I just realized a lot has changed on the house since this pic was taken. Metal roof, new soffit and trim.

Anyway, mine is 10’ from the roof edge and 18’ wide/long. I used 3” square set in concrete outside of my porch slab.

My loving wife thinks you can never have too much porch, so I also had to add a 24x10 porch/lean to onto my shop as well.

Sent from somewhere in the woods using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just a suggestion or two.....

Have the patio roof start from the roof above and not the facia. You want the ceiling height underneath to be at least 8’ but that is to close in my opinion for even a ceiling fan. If you can shoot for 10’.

If you are doing asphalt composite shingles you need at least a 3:12 slope and that is cutting it close. Metal roof you can get away with 1:12.

Definitely dig out footings for cement foundation for your posts. Do not cement the post into the ground. By the appropriate brackets and have the post anchored to the top of your footings. If you cement a wood post into the ground it will eventually rot.

Get a good concrete/foundation guy to help you put dowel the new slab into your current slab and rebar/from the slab correctly.

I’m sure there are some awesome construction guys on here that will chime in.

Here is my patio finished last year. I learned a LOT about what not to do. A 120 project took 1.5 years due to contractors. Hard to get good people if you live outside Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Payton View Post

Have the patio roof start from the roof above and not the facia. You want the ceiling height underneath to be at least 8’ but that is to close in my opinion for even a ceiling fan. If you can shoot for 10’.

If you are doing asphalt composite shingles you need at least a 3:12 slope and that is cutting it close. Metal roof you can get away with 1:12.

Definitely dig out footings for cement foundation for your posts. Do not cement the post into the ground. By the appropriate brackets and have the post anchored to the top of your footings. If you cement a wood post into the ground it will eventually rot.

Get a good concrete/foundation guy to help you put dowel the new slab into your current slab and rebar/from the slab correctly.

Here is my patio finished last year. I learned a LOT about what not to do. A 120 project took 1.5 years due to contractors. Hard to get good people if you live outside Houston.

looks great!!!!

Comment

Dang dude, mow your yard...

Comment

That is a beautiful Patio Peyton, thanks for sharing your ideas and experience. I am about to build a house and looking for ideas on a patio area.

Comment

Good advice. That porch is way more than I need or could afford. Beautiful though !

Comment

Originally posted by sportsman View Post
                  Looking at this pic, I just realized a lot has changed on the house since this pic was taken. Metal roof, new soffit and trim.

Anyway, mine is 10’ from the roof edge and 18’ wide/long. I used 3” square set in concrete outside of my porch slab.

My loving wife thinks you can never have too much porch, so I also had to add a 24x10 porch/lean to onto my shop as well.

The top pic is actually what I am thinking. My house is small. Wondering if a 3" or 4" drop from the roof is enough ?
                  Did you screw the header board on the house to the facia board or remove it and attach it to the rafters ?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                    The top pic is actually what I am thinking. My house is small. Wondering if a 3" or 4" drop from the roof is enough ?

Did you screw the header board on the house to the facia board or remove it and attach it to the rafters ?

I set my 2 posts closest to the house 2” away from my facia. I used 6” or 8” purlin for the header board. I cut the “C” out of the purlin 3” from each end so the purlin would lay flat on the 3” posts, and welded it. I bought a “Z” shaped trim 18’ long and 6” on each end of the drop from the house to the patio cover. I slid one end under my shingles and the other side sits on top of my patio cover so no rain water drips off the house to the patio cover. It just runs straight from roof to patio cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I built this a few years back and we enjoy it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is mine, I did not build it, the PO did. It is attached to house w hangers, roof line matches house roof line. When I roofed house a few years ago, it was roofed as a part of the house, before that there was a flat flashing that went under house shingles and over patio cover shingles. That was when I added the drop on the right side to not have water running off that side, really glad I did that. Posts are set on top of patio, held down with angle brackets. You can see that original brackets rusted away and I put new ones on a while back. I have been in house 20 years, not sure when it was added, but has held up a long time

Simple but effective

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	24570701

Name:	IMG_1428 (Medium).jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	24570702

Name:	IMG_1429 (Medium).jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	24570703

Name:	IMG_1427 (Medium).jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	24570704

Comment

Originally posted by sportsman View Post

That is a sweet little shop and something that I am looking to do in my backyard. Can you share some of the details? Size, height, is it a metal building kit, slab, estimated cost (if you dont mind), pics, etc?

Comment

Go metal! You can screw it all together with receiver channel and C purlin.

Receiver channel against the house lagged into rafter tails through fascia with 3 1/2"X5/16" lag bolts.

Receiver channel over the ends of the purlins.

Notch and bend purlin to screw together.

Two of us built this one in a day.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

some great ideas..... Im hoping to get this done soon, before it gets warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X