Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texan hunting New Mexico for big muledeer - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado has lots of opportunities for a DIY hunt. It just takes online research to find where. There's units that take zero points too.

Southern New Mexico should have landowner tags for reasonable prices too.

These options might not have the biggest bucks, but they're fun.

Comment

Put in for the draw on the Jicarilla Apache reservation in New Mexico. It’s $17,500 for the permit and about $3k for the guide but if you shoot straight you can kill a 200” mule deer. It’s almost 1 million acres and the bucks are great. I killed a 206” there 4 years ago. Seems steep but if you get drawn, it’s well worth the hunt. You will see 20-30 bucks a day. The deadline is approaching I’m sure so get on it. Good luck.

Comment

Texas has some monsters as well...

Comment

You still haven't said what you mean by big.

A typical 170 4x4 is a big deer. For guys that have several 180s. A 200 is a big deer. Think more about the experience you want.

Mule deer aren't like farmed whitetail. You can't just show up with a check and pick one out.

High country Colorado, eastern plain Colorado. Can you hike miles a day and spend 8 hours glassing or do you need any easier hunt due to health issues. You can be a big boy and still kill one in Mexico sitting water or driving around in a truck.

Lots of options but you need to think about the experience you are after. A 170 deer that was the experience you are after is better than a 200 you bought on eBay.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Not NM but check out
            Trophy Elk Hunting at it's Finest. Guaranteed Elk Hunts in Utah and Idaho. Also Offering Mule Deer Hunts, Archery Elk Hunts and Buffalo Hunts on the West's Finest Wilderness Hunting Preserves.

I haven’t been but a couple of my friends have.

Comment

Sonora Mexico

Comment

Like said above you have to decide what kind of experience you want and price you are willing to pay for that. I would check out Colorado for probably the best draw odds and best bang for your buck in my opinion, lots of good deer there just have to do your research and put in the work.

Comment

Size I’d like would be 160”+.... I want the experience. Definitely don’t want to just drive and shoot. Hike, camp, etc is all on my want list. I also want to take it with my Specialty Pistol so that would have to be figured in to places that allow that.
                  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                    Size I’d like would be 160”+.... I want the experience. Definitely don’t want to just drive and shoot. Hike, camp, etc is all on my want list. I also want to take it with my Specialty Pistol so that would have to be figured in to places that allow that.
                    Thanks!
                    Lots of options out there for a solid 160" buck. You just missed the NM draw. If you are ok waiting until next year you can find and outfitter this year and put in with them for the draw next year.

You have until tomorrow to put in for the CO draw. CO is the best state for big mule deer with tags you can actually draw. You will have to research the CO regs to make sure you can use you pistol on their rifle hunts.

They have several Eastern Plains hunts you can draw with 0 points but you will have to go outfitted. Also lots of mountain hunt you can draw with 0 points but I would suggest going outfitted for these. You will find the orange army on these hunts. Outfitted will get you on private land for a lot of these.

Comment

Talk to Masters on here. He kills great mule deer in Texas every year.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                        Talk to Masters on here. He kills great mule deer in Texas every year.

I’m not interested in hunting in Texas. I already have a muledeer lease in TX, and although they are small, it’s the week long hunt with my brother and friends I look forward to the most each year, so therefore my TX mule tag is taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                          I’m not interested in hunting in Texas. I already have a muledeer lease in TX, and although they are small, it’s the week long hunt with my brother and friends I look forward to the most each year, so therefore my TX mule tag is taken.

Understood. I was just saying for a solid buck over 160". He would be a good contact.

Good luck

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Utah or Mexico. I have been talking with some folks in Utah.

Comment

Mexico is not an option for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X