NFA question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFA question.

Why the hell do we have to fill out a 4473 and do a background check (unless you have a CHL) to pick up an NFA item when the ATF just did an in depth background check?

Just asking because it seems real asinine, Is something really going to show up in the last 15 days that did not show up in the previous 11 months?

I know it is the law.......it just makes 0% sense.

Yeah I would have to agree. Pretty dumb but its what we are stuck with right now. The alternative could be worse though.

Comment

Agreed it’s stupid but all it does is add 5 mins to a 6-10 month process so I’m not complaining on such a small fraction of time.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        Agreed it’s stupid but all it does is add 5 mins to a 6-10 month process so I’m not complaining on such a small fraction of time.
        Could add up to 7 days if you have a common name and no CHL.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          Yeah I would have to agree. Pretty dumb but its what we are stuck with right now. The alternative could be worse though.
          The alternative to me would be just checking ID and signing a receipt showing it was picked up. How is that worse?

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
            Could add up to 7 days if you have a common name and no CHL.
            7 more days to the 180-300. Still not huge in my opinion and a CHL is very easy to obtain and can prevent all that and you only have to spend 5 hours on a Saturday for the class, 10 mins doing finger prints, and 15 mins on the computer.

As mentioned I understand where you are coming from just seems like a drop in the bucket at the end of the day considering the whole process.

Comment

It actually made a little more sense pre-41F. Any responsible party on your trust could pick up the suppressor and they hadn't necessarily had a background check done. Post-41F it makes zero sense.
              On a semi-irrelevant side note, FFLs have to log all firearms in and out and have approved 4473s with no mess ups for each one. Suppressors are considered firearms under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                It actually made a little more sense pre-41F. Any responsible party on your trust could pick up the suppressor and they hadn't necessarily had a background check done. Post-41F it makes zero sense.
                On a semi-irrelevant side note, FFLs have to log all firearms in and out and have approved 4473s with no mess ups for each one. Suppressors are considered firearms under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

The latter part of the above statement is why.

That is how the dealer transfers the item out of his bound book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                  I thought of that. But a copy of the tax stamp and a receipt of pick up could take care of it.

Not trying to start anything. Just thought it was silly.

But then again we are talking about bureaucracy. Why would I expect efficiency and common sense.

Comment

I don't think they call in when you complete the 4473 to complete the transfer from the dealer to you.

Comment

Because it's a transfer out of the FFL, which they have to log and have a 4473 for... every time.
                      If you're asking is there a more efficient way for the government to handle this process, the answer is yes no matter what process you're talking about... nothing new there.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        The alternative to me would be just checking ID and signing a receipt showing it was picked up. How is that worse?

I’m talking the other way as in not having access at all to NFA stuff. I agree if there is a months long background check why be redundant.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

My understanding is that there is no requirement for a background check in the NFA. All of that wait time is for no apparent reason other than BATFE hates gun owners. Now the background check to pick it up was part of the Brady Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            My understanding is that there is no requirement for a background check in the NFA. All of that wait time is for no apparent reason other than BATFE hates gun owners. Now the background check to pick it up was part of the Brady Bill.

Any documentation to support that first part? I’d really like to see it if so

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

The ATF doesn’t do a back ground check. What info did you provide for them to do one? Mine has the trustees names and my address. That’s it. YOU aren’t buying the gun. The trust is.

Comment

Working...
                              X