Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First hunt for upcoming season

G'day all,

While you guys are fling lead and sticks around we're patiently waiting for deer to harden up down under (mid to end of jan).

It's Friday here and tomorrow im heading to one of my hunting blocks on a meat hunt. Does are dropping fawns and bucks are soft so it'll be a yearling or spiker or nothing.

At any rate I was happy with my shots out at 70yds last night so I'll be kitting up, putting my snake proof gaiters on and heading into the abyss

Wish me luck!

P.s. This thread is mostly about seeing whether these pics will work.

It's works and good luck!

Comment

Post up some LDPs when you take one.

Comment

How many different poisonous snakes do you have where you hunt? It would be hard for me to hunt if I'm always looking at the ground.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck, looking forward to a live thread from down under.

Comment

On the road now!

Yeh there's a few snakes, the main ones here are eastern browns and tiger snakes. Browns are usually passive, it's tigers you need to be careful with as they get aggressive and can chase people.

The service gets pretty shotty but I'll try to keep you all posted!

JP

Comment

I just wanted to point out that it seems you are driving on the wrong side of the road... Good luck and looking forward to pics

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Left is right here! Haha

The cockie (Aussie farmer) has broken his ribs so spent the first few hours helping him out. Snuck out for an arvo hunt and saw ken good velvet buck, 5 does and a tasty looking fallow spiker. Tried to stalk in on the spiker but like most hunts in this part of the world got busted by Roos.
                    Only got a dodgy bit of footage and a poor photo which I haven't taken off the camera but I have high hopes for tomorrow mornings hunt!

Comment

My phone has been playing up so I haven't been able to get the pics up for some unknown reason. But here it is.

Just as a little lesson for anyone interested, there are four colours of fallow, over the weekend I manged to photograph all colour phases which was a treat.

Ended up seeing around 8 deer including the buck which I managed to get a rubbish pic of. Got in range of a couple of does but both had fawns at foot so I left them alone. Tried really hard to get the black spiker but it just didn't work for me on this hunt so the freezer will have to stay empty until the new year!

This lovely was only 45m away, the menil colouration which is similar to red (normal) can be differentiated by the brown dorsal stripe and rump patch against the red fallows black dorsal and heart rump patch.

This is a red doe and was heavily pregnant at the time.

Black spiker, white doe in the middle and at the back right you can see the buck.

http://1drv.ms/1UmpGSr.

Hunting with a camera

Comment

following! Good luck, I can't wait to see LDPs

Comment

Very interesting is all of your hunting spot and stalk?

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                            Very interesting is all of your hunting spot and stalk?
                            pretty well, that and stalking (still hunting).

I am one of the few people that owns a tree stand here but I've never actually used it for hunting. Most of the deer I hunt are in a 12 month season area and get a lot of pressure so go mostly nocturnal and our species don't really seem to pattern that well.

Comment

Working...
                            X