Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #1401
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky
Default Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
I've hunted and fed corn in 5 counties in southern Ohio over the last 11 years, and it is very rare to get a daylight photo of a mature buck at corn during hunting season in any of those areas. I don't know or care where in Ohio you've hunted, but my experience is what I stated. Yours may well be different. I know it's your natural personality trait, but there's no need to be a donkey's behind about it, especially on Christmas.

Maybe you're doing it wrong!!!

And I 100% wasn't being that way. You lack being able to see picking. Other than presidents we've never really differed. Merry Christmas Joshua!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously I was jacking with you.

Last edited by JW; 12-25-2016 at 03:12 PM.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #1402
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Lil David whacks another. 5 Year old 8pt I called Crabby. He was super regular and should have been an easy one . I tried to put Johnny on this deer and he didnt show. Put Justins Dad on him...noshow. Put Jesse on him...noshow. He walked right in with another buck yesterday and David whacked him.
Attached Images

Last edited by GarGuy; 01-09-2017 at 04:29 PM.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #1403
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Nice job! He looks happy!
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #1404
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Nice! How much do you think he weighs?

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #1405
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck

Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #1406
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

nice deer!!
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #1407
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

That's because Little David has that killer instinct! Those boys of Don's are shaping up to be top notch outdoorsmen!

jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #1408
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
That's because Little David has that killer instinct! Those boys of Don's are shaping up to be top notch outdoorsmen!

They are fun to hang out with. Strong backs too. The older get the more i like that.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #1409
wdtorque
Six Point

Congrats young fella! Good one!

wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #1410
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Things are shaping up good here in East tx. Last year, I feared Dad was on his last hunt. Im pleased to say that by the Grace of God, he is doing better than in many years. We passed a bunch of mature deer last year and they are blooming like roses this year!

We have a few targets designated already. I cant wait to sit with him when he whacks another East Tx pressured buck!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #1411
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Things are shaping up good here in East tx. Last year, I feared Dad was on his last hunt. Im pleased to say that by the Grace of God, he is doing better than in many years. We passed a bunch of mature deer last year and they are blooming like roses this year!

We have a few targets designated already. I cant wait to sit with him when he whacks another East Tx pressured buck!
Thats great news!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #1412
elgato
Ten Point

Great news indeed on your dad.

If E Tx. is anything like here in La. we have had the best summer in memory. Rains have been consistent and abundant. I haven't had to water my garden a single time.PLus the temps have been relatively mild for the deep south which puts a lot less stress on everything...including me.

All age classes of deer here seem to be better than last yr. Hope you see the same.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #1413
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:

I hope you're dad has many years left to strike fear in the hearts of those wily ol' east TX swamp donkeys.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #1414
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Great news indeed on your dad.

If E Tx. is anything like here in La. we have had the best summer in memory. Rains have been consistent and abundant. I haven't had to water my garden a single time.PLus the temps have been relatively mild for the deep south which puts a lot less stress on everything...including me.

All age classes of deer here seem to be better than last yr. Hope you see the same.
Rusty, we let a bunch of 6 year olds go last year that were dead out shooters for this area. They wintered so good and had such a head start on this year that i really wanted to see what would happen. I suck for pictures right now but they are living in all that chicken manure flavored clover. a couple of them make me gulp.

We have another huge acorn crop which will make it a little harder but it will also buy another year for some of my younger studs since they wont be at my neighbors corn feeder. Even the nursing doe as fat as town dogs. This year could be epic..
Old 07-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #1415
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:

Good news to hear! I hope yall kill some giants this year!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #1416
Mr Sid
Six Point

I'm glad to see a new post in this thread, and one that is upbeat. You know already, but the hunts with your dad are special to us too.

Mr Sid
Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #1417
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

That's great news! Ready to see him standing by the tailgate with another big'un
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #1418
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:

I can hardly wait to see pics of your dad with an east Texas stud I'll be living vicariously through everyone else here this year, bought a house and new vehicles and had to take a year off of the lease and focus the finances on paying stuff off. So don't let me down
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #1419
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:

Very happy to read this! Been wondering how y'all were doing. My deer in centerville are looking fat and happy as well (both of them! )
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #1420
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Greats news Steve! Can't wait, keep us posted!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #1421
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Very happy to read this! Been wondering how y'all were doing. My deer in centerville are looking fat and happy as well (both of them! )
LOL! Both of them... Anyway, I enjoy sharing with dad and its neat that some folks understand what I doing and what it means to me. I owe him more than I can ever repay but Im working on it. I enjoy our hunts at least as much as he does.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #1422
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I think Im going to post more of our hunts this year. the last couple years,, i havent posted many because they are too special to me for all the bull crap. This year if folks dont like it..they can......
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #1423
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
I think Im going to post more of our hunts this year. the last couple years,, i havent posted many because they are too special to me for all the bull crap. This year if folks dont like it..they can......
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #1424
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood
Default Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Quote:

What the heck is there not to like?! Some times you just have to ignore some people.

You have no idea what I would give to go on another hunting or fishing trip with my Dad or my brother.

Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #1425
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
I enjoy reading your stories. They are a learning tool for me. I overthink everything about hunting and make it harder on myself. Your stories remind me to keep it simple.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #1426
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Glad to hear Mr. David is doing better. He sure looked rough around January. When he killed that giant a couple of years ago what was it he said? "That's the biggest I've ever killed, but not the biggest I'm gonna kill." Looks like he aims to make good on that lol

Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #1427
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point

Hunt In: A great spot

I love seeing this thread roll back around as the season approaches and look forward to riding along as you share some more with us this year. #legendary thread as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for keeping it up.
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #1428
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
I love seeing this thread roll back around as the season approaches and look forward to riding along as you share some more with us this year. #legendary thread as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for keeping it up.

This was the thread that got me hooked on tbh!

Old 07-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #1429
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Glad to hear Mr. David is doing better. He sure looked rough around January. When he killed that giant a couple of years ago what was it he said? "That's the biggest I've ever killed, but not the biggest I'm gonna kill." Looks like he aims to make good on that lol

Jooger you're not in Galveston right now by chance are you? If not I just saw your doppelgänger.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #1430
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Good! This is probably the best thread on tbh.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #1431
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Glad to see a post from you Steve, glad your dad will be ready for another giant.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #1432
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Good! This is probably the best thread on tbh.
If it's not this thread, it's the artifact excavation thread.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #1433
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Looking forward to another year steve (s). I don't have any cameras out yet but they're coming soon.

More than enough season survivors to worry about...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #1434
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
You might try a couple of hog wire pens.
Garguy I know this is an old question but how big of a feeder pen would you suggest for hand corn? or does it really matter? Any problems with mature bucks going in the pens. I have hog problems on most of my private land spots and unfortunantly don't have enough time to deal with them properly.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #1435
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Jooger you're not in Galveston right now by chance are you? If not I just saw your doppelgänger.

No sir, I'm in between Kermit and Mentone.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #1436
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Quote:
No sir, I'm in between Kermit and Mentone.

Poor thing. I'm at Barstow. Looking for a shad tree.
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #1437
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
Poor thing. I'm at Barstow. Looking for a shad tree.

If you find one, drop me a pin!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #1438
brents45
Eight Point

Hunt In: hardin county, hill country

GG keep up the good work. Really enjoy your sharing! It takes time to write up a story and you are one of the best!! Keep piling and smiling!
brents45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #1439
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Garguy I know this is an old question but how big of a feeder pen would you suggest for hand corn? or does it really matter? Any problems with mature bucks going in the pens. I have hog problems on most of my private land spots and unfortunantly don't have enough time to deal with them properly.
I dont have the answer. Some bucks just dont care how small. Some wont get in a pen. I have a huge hog trap on one spot. Its 60ft across a round pen. i put the trigger way over at the back so i can catch a whole herd of hogs. Several generations of deer have eaten out of that trap. they absolutely love it and have learned to trip the door and then the corn is all theirs.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #1440
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

I finally got around to reading this thread...
Garguy you are Da'Man! got my blood pumping for October and I'm only up to post #89 so far.
Love your story telling and hunting wisdom.

THANKS!
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #1441
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I finally got around to reading this thread...
Garguy you are Da'Man! got my blood pumping for October and I'm only up to post #89 so far.
Love your story telling and hunting wisdom.

THANKS!

LOL! You have a looooooonnnng way to go..
Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #1442
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

Quote:
LOL! You have a looooooonnnng way to go..
no kidding but, no offense to everyone else but I'm just skipping ahead to each of your posts.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #1443
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
no kidding but, no offense to everyone else but I'm just skipping ahead to each of your posts.
I kinda skimmed the other posts! Ha
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #1444
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
Quote:
I kinda skimmed the other posts! Ha
I did too...on the original read. Just skimmed over most. Then I came back and read it all...and then again and probably about to read it all one more time
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #1445
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default Hahahahaha

Quote:
Rusty, we let a bunch of 6 year olds go last year that were dead out shooters for this area. They wintered so good and had such a head start on this year that i really wanted to see what would happen. I suck for pictures right now but they are living in all that chicken manure flavored clover. a couple of them make me gulp.

We have another huge acorn crop which will make it a little harder but it will also buy another year for some of my younger studs since they wont be at my neighbors corn feeder. Even the nursing doe as fat as town dogs. This year could be epic..
I was envisioning deer standing in "chicken manure flavored clover" talking to each other about "how bad it smells but how good it tastes"!!!! Sorry, sometimes I am as juvenile as my wife claims!!!!

GREAT NEWS on your Dads health!!!

Last edited by Tejas Wildlife; 07-22-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #1446
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default More posts from GG the better!!

Quote:
Keep writing Big Guy!!!!!!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #1447
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good. I hope you have plenty of stories to share.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #1448
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Looking forward to it Steve! Glad your dad is doing good!
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #1449
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
I was envisioning deer standing in "chicken manure flavored clover" talking to each other about "how bad it smells but how good it tastes"!!!! Sorry, sometimes I am as juvenile as my wife claims!!!!

GREAT NEWS on your Dads health!!!
Got 80,000lbs of chicken poop on the way....
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #1450
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Aw-right, both you Steve's, let's git-er-dun!! Was my favorite thread last year... this one and the "Ambush" thread about "...a stud showed up"...
I put out cameras at the house, but haven't got any going down in the south end of the county yet, but hopefully that will happen by this weekend... sure is HOT tho...

Don't really need any feeders in the back of my place... so dang many akerns, they probably won't mess with the corn anyway...

Jooger, hope your work situation is a little more stable now... but not enough to keep you from gettin' in tha woods!

Good luck to everyone!

And GarGuy, if anybody gets nasty, the Ignore function is your friend!! Sure has helped my bloodpressure over the last couple years anyway.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top