Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #851
Grits
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Great story Mr. Steve, awesome deer! You are so lucky to have your dad still around to hunt with. My dad was not a hunter, but his dad my PaPa was who I learned from and wish he was still here to go with me or at least to talk to about hunting.
Grits
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #852
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

If you were to look up the word AWESOME in the dictionary, you would find this thread as the definition.

Keep it up GarGuy, love hearing your stories and learning from your techniques.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #853
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

Good to see you still hunting with your dad
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #854
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Congrats to your Pops Steve. Great buck and better story!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #855
lab man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan

Congrats to your dad and thanks for taking the time to share your stories with us.
lab man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #856
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
congrats to your dad and thanks for taking the time to share your stories with us.

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #857
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yall know that I have been sitting with Dad a lot and I really enjoy it. He killed a nice deer early in bow season with a cross bow and since then, we have been passing deer and waiting on a couple of specific deer to come home. The are still MIA. Anyway, he had first option on several good deer but let others hunt them figuring I would find him a giant late season. Lots of mature deer but not exactly what I was hoping for.

That sets the stage. A couple weeks ago, he just told me that the next mature buck that came out was in trouble. I knew I had a pretty wide and old 8pt coming every evening so we got in the ground stand about 3pm. At 345, Dad informs me he is going to have to take a crap before the evening is over so he better do it now. Dad exits the back of the stand leaving his rifle inside with me. Not 30 seconds later, here comes that dang 8pt.

He settles in and starts eating corn while I sneak a peek out the back of the blind for Dad. I cant see him anywhere. I look out the front and the deer is oblivious. This goes on for 20 minutes! Finally, I see Dad coming back. I ease the back of the blind open and motion for him to come on! He starts stomping right along. Next I motion for him to be quiet which just aggravates the old man! I peek out front and the deer is still eating so I motion SHHHHHH with one hand and come on with the other.

Well that really aggravates him because he thinks Im fussing at him. He gets to the stand and says rather loudly, " Son, I cant help it. I had to CRAP!". I look back just in time to see the deer exit in a hurry. He didnt come back...EVER.

The next hunt, we had five young bucks roll in early. About 430, a mature 8pt that we had passed walked out. Now Dad had passed 20 deer bigger than this one. Boom goes the 280 and down goes the buck. It was a great deer for him to take though and I love every hunt with him. He just got ready to kill one.
Congrats to your dad on a fine buck. You are very fortunate as mentioned above to still have him to hunt with. I only got to hunt with my dad for three seasons when he was taken by the good Lord, and that's been over fifteen years ago. The memories I made with him are a lot like the ones you are still making now with your dad, take every one of them and be thankful, because none of us are guaranteed the next.

Last edited by MASTERS; 12-28-2015 at 01:45 PM.
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #858
TxAg
Pope & Young

Haha that is a great story. Congrats to the ol' man!
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #859
woodsman
Ten Point

Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas

Man that had to be frustrating when your dad got a call from Nature. Our dads are so stealthy. But it seems clear that it's not all about the horns for him. Never let a big buck interfere with a good poop. I like his style. ��
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #860
rgambini
Nubbin' Buck

thats why i take my gun with me to poop you never know when you might need it
rgambini is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #861
D C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters75 View Post
Congrats to your dad on a fine buck. You are very fortunate as mentioned above to still have him to hunt with. I only got to hunt with my dad for three seasons when he was taken by the good Lord, and that's been over fifteen years ago. The memories I made with him are a lot like the ones you are still making now with your dad, take every one of them and be thankful, because none of us are guaranteed the next.
Well said bud, I would give anything to sit with my dad for one more hunt.
D C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #862
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Well said bud, I would give anything to sit with my dad for one more hunt.

Mine is still alive but in bad shape. I'd give anything to share a blind with him again.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #863
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Great story Garguy and I totally get him getting frustrated with your directions, I have had the same issue with both my sons and my Dad!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #864
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Yall know that I have been sitting with Dad a lot and I really enjoy it. He killed a nice deer early in bow season with a cross bow and since then, we have been passing deer and waiting on a couple of specific deer to come home. The are still MIA. Anyway, he had first option on several good deer but let others hunt them figuring I would find him a giant late season. Lots of mature deer but not exactly what I was hoping for.

That sets the stage. A couple weeks ago, he just told me that the next mature buck that came out was in trouble. I knew I had a pretty wide and old 8pt coming every evening so we got in the ground stand about 3pm. At 345, Dad informs me he is going to have to take a crap before the evening is over so he better do it now. Dad exits the back of the stand leaving his rifle inside with me. Not 30 seconds later, here comes that dang 8pt.

He settles in and starts eating corn while I sneak a peek out the back of the blind for Dad. I cant see him anywhere. I look out the front and the deer is oblivious. This goes on for 20 minutes! Finally, I see Dad coming back. I ease the back of the blind open and motion for him to come on! He starts stomping right along. Next I motion for him to be quiet which just aggravates the old man! I peek out front and the deer is still eating so I motion SHHHHHH with one hand and come on with the other.

Well that really aggravates him because he thinks Im fussing at him. He gets to the stand and says rather loudly, " Son, I cant help it. I had to CRAP!". I look back just in time to see the deer exit in a hurry. He didnt come back...EVER.

The next hunt, we had five young bucks roll in early. About 430, a mature 8pt that we had passed walked out. Now Dad had passed 20 deer bigger than this one. Boom goes the 280 and down goes the buck. It was a great deer for him to take though and I love every hunt with him. He just got ready to kill one.

Sounds like a pretty crappy hunt
Thanks for sharing.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #865
GarGuy
Pope & Young

We are about to take another swing at LongBeam this evening. Dang hogs found the corn yesterday so Im not sure whats going to happen. May turn to a pig killin.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #866
q2xlman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lease in Frio county and anywhere I can!

Waiting on an LDP of LongBeam!
q2xlman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #867
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by q2xlman View Post
Waiting on an LDP of LongBeam!
No LongBeam this evening. Hogs flooded us. We made a couple of them pay the piper though.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #868
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
No LongBeam this evening. Hogs flooded us. We made a couple of them pay the piper though.

Dead pigs = success
Old 12-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #869
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Dead pigs = success
Agreed. Dad got two lined up and killed em with one shot.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #870
q2xlman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lease in Frio county and anywhere I can!

The ole two-fer.....That will work too!
q2xlman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #871
Tex
Ten Point

Good luck with Long Beam.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #872
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I took my nephew, Lil David to a stand yesterday evening. He whacked a mature old cull. Pics and story when he wakes up.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #873
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point

Hunt In: A great spot

Another successful hunt. Congratulations to both of you. Happy New Year!
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #874
GarGuy
Pope & Young

He we go. Yesterday evening the wind was wrong for us to hunt longbeam. I mentioned to my nephew Lil David that thee might be a bachelor group coming to a corn pile on the edge of another of my sanctuaries. I had two piles working down there but it got so darn wet, I was having to carry corn half a mile so I dropped one of them that had the bachelor group regular. had a good setup with a tent blind in bow range but an old box stand over 200yds back. I knew the wind was perfect for us to get in that stand totally unnoticed and watch the edge of the sanctuary. He was all over it as he had killed three does with a crossbow this year but had not shot a buck.

About 515, we hadnt seen a deer. I told David that everything was perfect and there would be does in the corn if the bucks were not close. I no more than said that when a buck jumped the narrow creek just inside the edge and landed in full view. Before i could get the binos up, two more jumped in. A quick look revealed a 3 year old typical ten with split brows and a kicker off the base. I knew that deer well and he is going to be a superstar some day! Next was a 4 year old typical 8 with a double brow. Another high hopes deer that I have passed . Third was an old 15 inch wide 7pt. Not sure how old he is but between 5 and 8 for sure. He is big as a dang donkey and bossing the other deer around. I told David ,"Thats the one!".

All three headed to the corn and he fed with his butt to us probably 15 minutes. That was fine with me because LilDavid was shaking pretty bad at first. We got him hooked up good at with a 280 shooting 140gr spbts at226yds. The old deer gradually quartered away and i got off the binos to tell him to get ready when the gun went off. The buck dashed straight away into the bad mess while the other two ran toward us and stopped at 50yds looking back. Now I had to make a call as David was eyeing them through the scope. I called him off the second shot after he said the crosshairs were perfect when the gun fired.

We walked down and immediately saw lungs blown past where the deer was standing. He went 40yds with the bullet entering center ribs an exit behind the off shoulder. I like to have never got that sucker loaded! Great deer to kill. He should have known better than to grow those horns!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #875
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

^^^That is awesome right there. Congrats to you and your nephew!
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #876
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

Quote:
He we go. Yesterday evening the wind was wrong for us to hunt longbeam. I mentioned to my nephew Lil David that thee might be a bachelor group coming to a corn pile on the edge of another of my sanctuaries. I had two piles working down there but it got so darn wet, I was having to carry corn half a mile so I dropped one of them that had the bachelor group regular. had a good setup with a tent blind in bow range but an old box stand over 200yds back. I knew the wind was perfect for us to get in that stand totally unnoticed and watch the edge of the sanctuary. He was all over it as he had killed three does with a crossbow this year but had not shot a buck.

About 515, we hadnt seen a deer. I told David that everything was perfect and there would be does in the corn if the bucks were not close. I no more than said that when a buck jumped the narrow creek just inside the edge and landed in full view. Before i could get the binos up, two more jumped in. A quick look revealed a 3 year old typical ten with split brows and a kicker off the base. I knew that deer well and he is going to be a superstar some day! Next was a 4 year old typical 8 with a double brow. Another high hopes deer that I have passed . Third was an old 15 inch wide 7pt. Not sure how old he is but between 5 and 8 for sure. He is big as a dang donkey and bossing the other deer around. I told David ,"Thats the one!".

All three headed to the corn and he fed with his butt to us probably 15 minutes. That was fine with me because LilDavid was shaking pretty bad at first. We got him hooked up good at with a 280 shooting 140gr spbts at226yds. The old deer gradually quartered away and i got off the binos to tell him to get ready when the gun went off. The buck dashed straight away into the bad mess while the other two ran toward us and stopped at 50yds looking back. Now I had to make a call as David was eyeing them through the scope. I called him off the second shot after he said the crosshairs were perfect when the gun fired.

We walked down and immediately saw lungs blown past where the deer was standing. He went 40yds with the bullet entering center ribs an exit behind the off shoulder. I like to have never got that sucker loaded! Great deer to kill. He should have known better than to grow those horns!

Is that the one that was hanging out across the road from you're parents near that ground blind?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #877
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' View Post
Is that the one that was hanging out across the road from you're parents near that ground blind?
Absolutely. He moved to the sanctuary behind the house where I planned to put you and your daughter before Noahs flood came. It would have been interesting to have sat until dark and seen what else might have shown.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #878
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Little David is the man!!! I bet he's strutting around the Barclay residence with his chest bowed out like a fighting rooster! Well done young man!
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #879
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Little David is the man!!! I bet he's strutting around the Barclay residence with his chest bowed out like a fighting rooster! Well done young man!
You nailed it! We barely had time to get cleaned up and head to a Newyears party last night. He told that story a dozen times. He was the ONLY male there in his age class but there were at least ten little girls there form his age to a couple years younger. He was laying the deer story on thick and they giggled for hours with him as the center of attention. Not sure how far that deer was by the time he told the story a few times.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #880
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

Quote:
Absolutely. He moved to the sanctuary behind the house where I planned to put you and your daughter before Noahs flood came. It would have been interesting to have sat until dark and seen what else might have shown.

He was a big Ol bodied sucker!
JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #881
Steve_243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County and anywhere I get an invite

Congrats to your nephew
Steve_243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #882
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County

That's an old swamp donkey right there!!!! Congrats to lil David you da man.
Roy D Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #883
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
You nailed it! We barely had time to get cleaned up and head to a Newyears party last night. He told that story a dozen times. He was the ONLY male there in his age class but there were at least ten little girls there form his age to a couple years younger. He was laying the deer story on thick and they giggled for hours with him as the center of attention. Not sure how far that deer was by the time he told the story a few times.

Good Stuff!

Congrats to him
Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #884
jp77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Awesome story, congrats to the young hunter and his guide!!
jp77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #885
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Congrats to David and the guide. Great stuff right there!
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #886
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Great job little David and Uncle Garguy. Huge bodied Ole deer there.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #887
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Thanks for all the info on this great thread guys and congrats to all the successful hunters! I hunt a lease in Newton county and I know there has to be some studs somewhere. Hard part for me is that I have designated spots so for the most part I can't be mobile and make adjustments. My question is how would I go about making "my" spot as productive as possible? I feel like both of my spots are in good areas, but I've yet to connect on a good deer. Any info would be greatly appreciated and happy New Years!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #888
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Thanks for all the info on this great thread guys and congrats to all the successful hunters! I hunt a lease in Newton county and I know there has to be some studs somewhere. Hard part for me is that I have designated spots so for the most part I can't be mobile and make adjustments. My question is how would I go about making "my" spot as productive as possible? I feel like both of my spots are in good areas, but I've yet to connect on a good deer. Any info would be greatly appreciated and happy New Years!
Do you have a designated "Stand" or just an area? If you have an area, even a small move can do it with hand corn. Im hunting within a couple hundred yards of feeders. Tons of mature deer on the handcorn and not a single pic of them at the feeders. Also, property where a stand has been in place for years educates a generation of deer that they are being hunted from the spot.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #889
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Me and dad plan to make another swing at LongBeam this evening. I have another stud 8pt coming too and A friend will be bowhunting him. Gonna kill me because he likely wont have ph service to keep me updated so I wont know how he did until i get back to the truck and pic him up.

I have now been responsible for the death of 18 deer this season and a bunch of hogs. Lets make it 20!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #890
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Me and dad plan to make another swing at LongBeam this evening. I have another stud 8pt coming too and A friend will be bowhunting him. Gonna kill me because he likely wont have ph service to keep me updated so I wont know how he did until i get back to the truck and pic him up.

I have now been responsible for the death of 18 deer this season and a bunch of hogs. Lets make it 20!
Congrats to little David and hopefully your dad can put longbeam down this evening!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #891
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

Update?
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #892
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

I hope you hit 20 and are trailing/cleaning the victims.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #893
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
I hope you hit 20 and are trailing/cleaning the victims.
We hit 19... My buddy slung an arrow through ol CrissCross at 430 yesterday evening.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #894
TxAg
Pope & Young

awesome!
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #895
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Another interesting note.... I have five deer that have shed one or both antlers in the last three days.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #896
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Quote:
Another interesting note.... I have five deer that have shed one or both antlers in the last three days.
I have a small buck here at the house that has dropped one side also. At first I thought he broke it but it is slick even with the skull.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #897
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I have had a big 8pt on camera all season that has NEVER been seen in daylight. His main beams almost cross and I named him CrissCross. I have a friend that really liked him and told me if he ever got right to call him. The week before Christmas he settled into my sanctuary and started hitting the corn pile several times per night. Then he started coming right after dark and leaving just before daybreak. I knew he was laying out there thinking about corn all day since the rut ended.

Last monday, during the rain, he showed up in daylight for the first time. Three days ago, he showed at 342 pm, I pulled the card yesterday and he had been in Friday evening and again yesterday morning. I made the phone call.

We got him set up in a Loc-on about 25ft high and 18yds from the vanilla corn pile about 315. At 430pm, he came in just like he was supposed to and circled around the corn. My friend blew a Schwacker through both lungs at about 27yds. He made a short 40yd dash and fell over.

Congrats, my friend who has no wish to be posted on the net! Pressured deer are EASY to pattern!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #898
easttxbowbender
Six Point

Hunt In: Liberty & Hardin county

Another awesome deer, congratulations to the hunter....
easttxbowbender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #899
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Well I posted Lil Davids buck but didnt post his brothers deer so to make things equal... here we go.

All four of my little nephews have killed deer this year. Jesse and Lil David both killed multiple does with my cross bow and Aaron and James killed with a rifle. Now Jesse wanted a buck bad as it has been two years since he shot a big 8pt, About 3 weeks ago, I had at least ten bucks hitting a stand every day including two old geezers. It was a tent blind in a super thicket that I have a perfect entrance and exit from. the deer were cleaning up 50lbs of vanilla corn every day and I figured it was time to hunt it as soon as the wind got right.

I picked Jesse up a little early from school and we got in about 315. By 4 we were just slap covered with deer at 20yds. Several 1.5 year olds trying to herd 8 does away from the corn. Jesse was read to shoot and i had to hold him off a couple of spikes. About 415, everything spooked and we saw a buck working in. It was a pretty high and heavy 8pt. I know he wasnt old but Jesses excitement caused me to give in. Can I shoot him? Can I???? Okay! the words were barely whispered when the 280 boomed and the deer flopped. Atta boy Jesse.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #900
NTex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto

The kids smile says it all!!!!
NTex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top