Having a NFA weapon de-listed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a NFA weapon de-listed...

Has anyone ever had a NFA weapon delisted? I had a client ask the other day and I told him I had no idea...I really have never even thought about having one delisted.

He has a SBR that he wants to put back to 16"

I have no clue.
    I did a quick Google search and found a post on. AR15 dot com dated 10-13-16 that referenced section 2.5 of the NFA Handbook.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

I did a quick Google search of it and found this PDF.
    Here's a link

If you open with Adobe it's on pg 33
    Here's a cropped screenshot

Hope this helps and is the info you are looking for.
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

As in he is wanting to have his serial number removed from the NFA database as a SBR? I dont see that happening very easily, but could totally be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        I have no clue.
        I did a quick Google search and found a post on. AR15 dot com dated 10-13-16 that referenced section 2.5 of the NFA Handbook.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

I did a quick Google search of it and found this PDF.
        Here's a link

If you open with Adobe it's on pg 33
        Here's a cropped screenshot
        This section is that if you replace the barrel it is no longer an NFA item.

On an AR-15 this is putting a 16"+ upper on.

It is not about removing it from the NFA database. If he is looking at doing that. Selling it is his only choice, because that will re-register it to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
          Has anyone ever had a NFA weapon delisted? I had a client ask the other day and I told him I had no idea...I really have never even thought about having one delisted.

He has a SBR that he wants to put back to 16"
          It depends on what your client really wants, which means you need to ask more questions. Let's say for example that all he wants is to be able to travel state to state without filing a 5320.20 in advance. My understanding (assuming this SBR is an AR-pattern rifle is that if he slaps a 16" or longer barrel on, he can travel freely, since it's no longer an SBR. He could also lend it to his neighbor in this configuration. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            It depends on what your client really wants, which means you need to ask more questions. Let's say for example that all he wants is to be able to travel state to state without filing a 5320.20 in advance. My understanding (assuming this SBR is an AR-pattern rifle is that if he slaps a 16" or longer barrel on, he can travel freely, since it's no longer an SBR. He could also lend it to his neighbor in this configuration. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.
            That is how it was explained to me as well.

Comment

The travel issues are not a problem for him via 5320, and he has a complete understanding of just exchanging uppers/barrels to 16'. From what I gathered from the conversation everything he has is on a trust and he is wanting to drop some items from it. Several are SBR's, I told him like all things the NFA wants to know of any permanent changes, best advice I could give him is to do this in writing and most likely they will add a notation in the system of the permanent change to the registered weapon, but in all honesty it will never be dropped from the system, but can be openly sold as a non-NFA weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                The travel issues are not a problem for him via 5320, and he has a complete understanding of just exchanging uppers/barrels to 16'. From what I gathered from the conversation everything he has is on a trust and he is wanting to drop some items from it. Several are SBR's, I told him like all things the NFA wants to know of any permanent changes, best advice I could give him is to do this in writing and most likely they will add a notation in the system of the permanent change to the registered weapon, but in all honesty it will never be dropped from the system, but can be openly sold as a non-NFA weapon.
                In that case:

"Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?

There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax."

Comment

It’s actually easy to do. I registered a lower on an F1 to make an SBR and realized it totally defeated the purpose of buying the receiver as a private sale.

After my approved form came back, I took pictures of the unassembled receiver and printed them with a letter to the ATF and they returned a voided F1 back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    It’s actually easy to do. I registered a lower on an F1 to make an SBR and realized it totally defeated the purpose of buying the receiver as a private sale.

After my approved form came back, I took pictures of the unassembled receiver and printed them with a letter to the ATF and they returned a voided F1 back to me.

And if you do it within the right time frame, I think they'll refund your $200 as well.

Comment

And if you do it within the right time frame, I think they'll refund your $200 as well.

Yep. They refunded mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X