Meeting with the Track Coach today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting with the Track Coach today

I have been dreading this meeting for the past few weeks and just letting things settle in for everyone. Why is it that high school coaches have to let their egos make bad choices for them?

The local HS track coach at the start of Cross country season forced my son into a corner and would only let him train with him if he wanted to remain on the varsity team instead of splitting his days with a professional running coach. It ended in a train wreck, my son simply did not run or train anywhere near what he should have and the season was a wash.

Since the end of season he has been training with his professional coach and making some great progress and setting new PR's in the 200m, 800m, and 1 mile. The coach trains a small group of very talented children, currently 3 state champions, Gold and Silver Junior Olympic medalists, 1 child was chosen a few weeks ago to represent the United States on the USTAF Junior Track and field Team. My son was just offered a chance to train with one of Jamaica's top 800 meter runners which is also Coached by the same Coach.

With track and field training starting today with HS I can see another train wreck coming with this HS coach and his ego. What my son is asking for is simple, he wants to train with his Pro Coach 2 nights a week and do very light workouts with the HS Coach on those days so there is not a issue with over training that might cause injuries and give both coaches 100 percent and run UIL events till summer season.

Its to the point now that my son is willing to walk off the HS team (where he is the no. 2 varsity runner) and not run a single UIL event just to continue to train till summer track season and run USTAF events for the opportunity to train with some of the nations best runners.

Sorry for the long rant
    Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 01-16-2018, 12:52 PM.

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
    I have been dreading this meeting for the past few weeks and just letting things settle in for everyone. Why is it that high school coaches have to let their egos make bad choices for them?

The local HS track coach at the start of Cross country season forced my son into a corner and would only let him train with him if he wanted to remain on the varsity team instead of splitting his days with a professional running coach. It ended in a train wreck, my son simply did not run or train anywhere near what he should have and the season was a wash.

Since the end of season he has been training with his professional coach and making some great progress and setting new PR's in the 200m, 800m, and 1 mile. The coach trains a small group of very talented children, currently 3 state champions, Gold and Silver Junior Olympic medalists, 1 child was chosen a few weeks ago to represent the United States on the USATF Junior Track and field Team. My son was just offered a chance to train with one of Jamaica's top 800 meter runners which is also Coached by the same Coach.

With track and field training starting today with HS I can see another train wreck coming with this HS coach and his ego. What my son is asking for is simple, he wants to train with his Pro Coach 2 nights a week and do very light workouts with the HS Coach on those days so there is not a issue with over training that might cause injuries and give both coaches 100 percent and run UIL events till summer season.

Its to the point now that my son is willing to walk off the HS team (where he is the no. 2 varsity runner) and not run a single UIL event just to continue to train till summer track season and run USATF events for the opportunity to train with some of the nations best runners.

Sorry for the long rant
    Some of the worst egos are that of Highschool Coaches. I would have your professional coach write a workout schedule for your son and give it the HS coach. And tell him this is his workout if you object he won't be able to run for you. Non-negotiable.

Comment

Great question....just so you know you are not alone......my son' HS Baseball Coach told the team they were not allowed to take outside Hitting or Pitching lessons. My son continued with his Hitting Coach. The HS Baseball Coach would send the team to the batting cage to hit off the machine or throw to each other. That was how he "Coached" the kids. I am sure these cases are not found at all High Schools. Plenty of great Coaches and Teachers out there. Oh, that particular coach was fired after the season my son' senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        Some of the worst egos are that of Highschool Coaches. I would have your professional coach write a workout schedule for your son and give it the HS coach. And tell him this is his workout if you object he won't be able to run for you. Non-negotiable.
        this is what I would do also, but you need to try and not present it as an ultimatum, nobody likes ultimatums especially egomaniacs.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
          this is what I would do also, but you need to try and not present it as an ultimatum, nobody likes ultimatums especially egomaniacs.
          True. Might need to put it a little more PC correct but I wouldn't budge much and wouldn't let the coach make any changes without Professional Coaches sign off.

Comment

We ran into the same problem with my son's high school baseball coach. His senior year was a train wreck. It started the previous summer and carried over into the fall and ultimately baseball season. I wish I had some tips for you but I dont. He kept training with the best and had multiple scholarships to pitch in college no thanks to his HS coach.

Comment

You have to understand the HS coach's side of it. Your son said he wants do to very light workouts with the HS coach. I have no doubt your son is actually doing the workout with his pro coach, but if the HS coach believed everything a kid told him he was doing on his own time, they wouldn't get much done.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                We ran into the same problem with my son's high school baseball coach. His senior year was a train wreck. It started the previous summer and carried over into the fall and ultimately baseball season. I wish I had some tips for you but I dont. He kept training with the best and had multiple scholarships to pitch in college no thanks to his HS coach.
                Sounds like my sons senior season of Baseball!!!!!

Comment

Same as what BrandonA said.
                  If the HS coach did not get it. Tell your boy to drop track and take a college prep class.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    You have to understand the HS coach's side of it. Your son said he wants do to very light workouts with the HS coach. I have no doubt your son is actually doing the workout with his pro coach, but if the HS coach believed everything a kid told him he was doing on his own time, they wouldn't get much done.
                    That simply is not the case, this coach knows the pro coach and at one time wanted him to come and speak to the HS team about the mental side of running and competition, not to mention my sons training ethics have never been questioned and are above reproach from that line of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                      That simply is not the case, this coach knows the pro coach and at one time wanted him to come and speak to the HS team about the mental side of running and competition, not to mention my sons training ethics have never been questioned and are above reproach from that line of thought.
                      As I said, I'm sure he is actually doing the workout....but a lot are pulling the coaches leg.

Comment

If the coach doesn't like it, ask the AD how many blue ribbons he wants to let walk out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Talk to him like a man. If you don't like the answer then go to the athletic director. I would bet that would change his answer.

Comment

The meeting should also include the AD if it's a different person. Our AD/coach lost his absolute best defensive player one year because of his bs ego. Kid had been working out extra and asked the coach ahead of time to finish a coupla rodeo events. Was only gonna miss a practice or two. Coach said no, you gotta decide if you wanna play football or not, be there for the team..blah blah. He told him I've gotta be there for TEAM roping too. Kid said oh, well...bye! Sometimes they act like the world revolves around them... Silly crap spreads too. 3 or 4 of the biggest kids in the senior class didn't care to play! (stayed in band...and went to state tho!lol)

Comment

I guess I was lucky. When I was in high school, I told the cross country coach I would run for him in competitions, but I will not practice with him. He let me do it.

From what I have seen all the sports are being destroyed by the coaches in our area.

Comment

Working...
                              X