Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #1351
Chew
Pope & Young
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kingwood, TX
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
The bucks here in Houston co are starting to group up pretty good. The sanctuaries are filling up!
Any cornpile action yet?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #1352
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Any cornpile action yet?
A little more. They are hitting food plots hard though.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #1353
ethic1
Six Point
 
ethic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Magnolia
Default

Gives us a pic or two Garguy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #1354
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
A little more. They are hitting food plots hard though.
That's it. I'm doing a food plot next year. Tshelly gave me some good information and I'm going to put it to use as I'll have some areas where I can actually do them (thank you timber company ).
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #1355
HoustonR6ryda
Ten Point
 
HoustonR6ryda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Bend
Hunt In: the woods
Default

great thread
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #1356
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
A little more. They are hitting food plots hard though.
Goal post still around?
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #1357
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie
Default Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
That's it. I'm doing a food plot next year. Tshelly gave me some good information and I'm going to put it to use as I'll have some areas where I can actually do them (thank you timber company ).


What does at Tshelly know about growing ridiculously large bucks year after year...........

On another note, could you PM me what Tshelly said
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #1358
BW96
Eight Point
 
BW96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tyler
Hunt In: Public and wood county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
What does at Tshelly know about growing ridiculously large bucks year after year...........

On another note, could you PM me what Tshelly said
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... x2! Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #1359
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
What does at Tshelly know about growing ridiculously large bucks year after year...........

On another note, could you PM me what Tshelly said
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here ya' go. See posts 130 and 132.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...=617834&page=3
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2016, 11:16 PM   #1360
jooger17
Pope & Young
 
jooger17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lufkin, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska
Default

Tshelly reminds me of a dude I played baseball with in high school. He had the hardest purest swing I'd ever seen but always seemed to miss the sweet spot by a fraction of a fraction of an inch. I always said Justin was gonna hit one pure one day and it'd be spectacular when he did. My Sr year, his Jr year he hit one off of an apartment complex in Port Arthur... ~475'!

Tony always grows them, always is around them, and when everything lines up he'll kill something that'll make you lose your breath. Every year that guy passes better deer than I kill. On top of that he's a top notch human I'm proud to call a friend. Y'all keep an eye on that sucker, it's a matter of time before he does something truly special.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #1361
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Tshelly reminds me of a dude I played baseball with in high school. He had the hardest purest swing I'd ever seen but always seemed to miss the sweet spot by a fraction of a fraction of an inch. I always said Justin was gonna hit one pure one day and it'd be spectacular when he did. My Sr year, his Jr year he hit one off of an apartment complex in Port Arthur... ~475'!

Tony always grows them, always is around them, and when everything lines up he'll kill something that'll make you lose your breath. Every year that guy passes better deer than I kill. On top of that he's a top notch human I'm proud to call a friend. Y'all keep an eye on that sucker, it's a matter of time before he does something truly special.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hahaha man. That's about as good of a analogy as I can think of. I don't know what to do anymore but enjoy the ride and hope one day I'll connect. I've come to grasp that I'm grateful I've hunted 4 deer over 160" these last few years even though I haven't connected on one. My time will come, just keep chipping away and doing it right. Appreciate the compliments a lot Steve. You are right up there as a friend and great guy. You've taught me a lot about the ornery ol pine tree bucks, as well as this thread and site.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #1362
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
What does at Tshelly know about growing ridiculously large bucks year after year...........

On another note, could you PM me what Tshelly said
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I have a disease I think. It makes me run cameras year around, spend countless amounts of money feeding pigs and coons with my corn piles. Wasting way too much time and AA batteries just to get pictures of a deer that I'll pass (but probably shouldn't have) or an actual big deer that haunts my dreams for the next year lol.

I'm shooting the next good one I see, ready to break the streak


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #1363
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
I have a disease I think. It makes me run cameras year around, spend countless amounts of money feeding pigs and coons with my corn piles. Wasting way too much time and AA batteries just to get pictures of a deer that I'll pass (but probably shouldn't have) or an actual big deer that haunts my dreams for the next year lol.

I'm shooting the next good one I see, ready to break the streak


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey but your neighbors seem to appreciate all of your efforts.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #1364
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
I have a disease I think. It makes me run cameras year around, spend countless amounts of money feeding pigs and coons with my corn piles. Wasting way too much time and AA batteries just to get pictures of a deer that I'll pass (but probably shouldn't have) or an actual big deer that haunts my dreams for the next year lol.

I'm shooting the next good one I see, ready to break the streak


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wait...jshouse, is that you?
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #1365
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
wait...jshouse, is that you?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #1366
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
wait...jshouse, is that you?


nice one! We share the same sorrows


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #1367
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck
 
rseveer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

I found this thread a few weeks ago and have been glued to it. I started hunting East Texas about 5 years ago and can say I have put in the time and money with only minimal results. After reading through this thread it's helped me to broaden my thought process on hunting these elusive deer. I have such great pictures of them but never see anything while hunting. So today I decided since I won't be back for a couple of weeks to one of my blinds I will try the vanilla corn. So I bought 200 lbs of corn and a bunch of vanilla, and a spray bottle. I put 100 lbs in one area and a 100 in another area and sprayed them down with the vanilla. So in two weeks I will be back and check my cameras. Thanks so much for all the info on this thread I've been glued ever since reading it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #1368
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck
 
rseveer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

I wanted to add that before I found this thread I've been noticing a trend to get away from spin cast feeders. I have talked with several folks on my current lease and they are either hand Corning or using a PVC pipe feeder attached to a tree. They are seeing more pictures of deer at the pipe feeders than at their spin feeders. So when I found this thread it has started making sense and I'm trying to understand the correlation between east Texas deer and spin feeders. Haven't put my finger in it yet. Where as in west Texas when a feeder goes off it's like ringing the dinner bell. Just had me thinking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #1369
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck
 
rseveer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseveer View Post
I wanted to add that before I found this thread I've been noticing a trend to get away from spin cast feeders. I have talked with several folks on my current lease and they are either hand Corning or using a PVC pipe feeder attached to a tree. They are seeing more pictures of deer at the pipe feeders than at their spin feeders. So when I found this thread it has started making sense and I'm trying to understand the correlation between east Texas deer and spin feeders, but in west Texas when a feeder goes off it's like ringing the dinner bell. Just had me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #1370
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Goal post still around?
He has not come home yet. The good news is that five or six that went missing when the rut started are now home. Three of them are decent deer. Every year they come home between dec 5th and 10th. Im getting excited.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #1371
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
He has not come home yet. The good news is that five or six that went missing when the rut started are now home. Three of them are decent deer. Every year they come home between dec 5th and 10th. Im getting excited.
I hope for your sake and those brow tines he's still with us!
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #1372
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I hope for your sake and those brow tines he's still with us!
Yep. My big ten got killed yesterday down the road 1.5 miles. 13 inch 2s. He had over 70 inches of tines. High 60s deer. Oh well we missed him broad side with a rifle...had our chance.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #1373
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Happy kid
Attached Images
  
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #1374
Grndchecker
Ten Point
 
Grndchecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baytown, TX
Hunt In: Polk County, TX
Default

Nice buck. Congrats to the young man.
Grndchecker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #1375
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Is 50 - 60 yards too close to hunt to a pile of corn? I found a place that I think is doable, but it's a little tight and I don't want to do any trimming at this point.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #1376
woodsman
Ten Point
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Garland
Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas
Default

Congratulations to the young hunter! He looks to have a streak of Barclay in him?

Nice sized deer, too, doesn't appear to have missed many meals.
woodsman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #1377
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Congratulations to the young hunter! He looks to have a streak of Barclay in him?

Nice sized deer, too, doesn't appear to have missed many meals.
Yeah hes a Barclay. Lil David my nephew and a killing machine. That deer is old and i have known him all his life. He has lost a lot of weight during the rut though believe it or not and broke that 7-8inch G3. I honestly think he broke it after the shot as i sure didnt notice gone before the gun fired.

here he is a couple weeks ago with the g3
Attached Images
 
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #1378
woodsman
Ten Point
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Garland
Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yeah hes a Barclay. Lil David my nephew and a killing machine. That deer is old and i have known him all his life. He has lost a lot of weight during the rut though believe it or not and broke that 7-8inch G3. I honestly think he broke it after the shot as i sure didnt notice gone before the gun fired.

here he is a couple weeks ago with the g3
Ohhh okay. I remember seeing a photo of him before. Boy is growing up

Bonus taking a deer with history I bet. Love seeing these young men making great memories.
woodsman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #1379
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oatmeal, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Happy kid
Congrats to the young man! Nice buck and good lookin food plot!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #1380
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yep. My big ten got killed yesterday down the road 1.5 miles. 13 inch 2s. He had over 70 inches of tines. High 60s deer. Oh well we missed him broad side with a rifle...had our chance.
From talking with Sam, sounds like it wasn't your ten that got killed after all. Has he come back yet?
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #1381
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
From talking with Sam, sounds like it wasn't your ten that got killed after all. Has he come back yet?
Still unclear on that but I did get a blurry pic of a BIGGGGGG deer a few nights ago that sure may be him..
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #1382
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Still unclear on that but I did get a blurry pic of a BIGGGGGG deer a few nights ago that sure may be him..
Cool. Good luck
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #1383
Muley
Six Point
 
Muley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Taylor
Default

Best stories I've read in years.
Muley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #1384
Muley
Six Point
 
Muley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Taylor
Default

Well now that I've had a chance to read this thread through completely, I did have a couple of comments/questions:

- First, don't let the haters discourage you from writing; you've got a real talent and any hunter worth his salt can appreciate the skills you've honed from years in the deer woods. I haven't been on this board much since I sold the archery shop and got tired of all the haters myself; but this thread really got me excited about hunting. Plain and simple. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

- Honestly, I'm sick and tired of sitting on feeders. My favorite hunts have always been spot and stalk hunts in the mountain states. For whitetail, I think I'm ready to take the "GarGuy plunge" and switch over to hand throwing a lil nilla corn in their bedroom. 'Been plotting a new strategy since I read your thread. Feeders did however make it very easy to feed year round. My question is: do you still make the effort to corn up each spot all year long, or do you prefer to keep the activity to a minimum in these sanctuaries and wait 'til say, August to start sneaking in for your corn drops? 'Need to figure out a way to do this and keep a wife!

- For the particular spot I have in mind, I'm probably going to need to throw up some hog panels to keep 'em out. I read where you've had to do this in a couple of your spots. Have feed pens hurt your success on pressured bucks?

- While I've killed many a deer out of treestands, I've gone to mostly home-made, 2-seater ground blinds since I share the same passion as you for taking kids, and some friends that never had the opportunity, and helping them learn the bowhunting ropes and be successful taking does and culls. I find this more rewarding than hunting for myself these days, and it makes each hunt exciting even if the trophy I'm after never shows. Some of the best memories and bonding experiences I've had with each of my girls are of successful bowhunts together. Given that, I haven't read much of your opinion on ground blinds and how you're able to get in there and set up in an ol' buck's sanctuary without causing him to relocate. I would love to hear you expound a little more on your ground blind set up; over a beer some day would be even better! Thanks
Muley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #1385
jooger17
Pope & Young
 
jooger17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lufkin, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley View Post
Well now that I've had a chance to read this thread through completely, I did have a couple of comments/questions:

- First, don't let the haters discourage you from writing; you've got a real talent and any hunter worth his salt can appreciate the skills you've honed from years in the deer woods. I haven't been on this board much since I sold the archery shop and got tired of all the haters myself; but this thread really got me excited about hunting. Plain and simple. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

- Honestly, I'm sick and tired of sitting on feeders. My favorite hunts have always been spot and stalk hunts in the mountain states. For whitetail, I think I'm ready to take the "GarGuy plunge" and switch over to hand throwing a lil nilla corn in their bedroom. 'Been plotting a new strategy since I read your thread. Feeders did however make it very easy to feed year round. My question is: do you still make the effort to corn up each spot all year long, or do you prefer to keep the activity to a minimum in these sanctuaries and wait 'til say, August to start sneaking in for your corn drops? 'Need to figure out a way to do this and keep a wife!

- For the particular spot I have in mind, I'm probably going to need to throw up some hog panels to keep 'em out. I read where you've had to do this in a couple of your spots. Have feed pens hurt your success on pressured bucks?

- While I've killed many a deer out of treestands, I've gone to mostly home-made, 2-seater ground blinds since I share the same passion as you for taking kids, and some friends that never had the opportunity, and helping them learn the bowhunting ropes and be successful taking does and culls. I find this more rewarding than hunting for myself these days, and it makes each hunt exciting even if the trophy I'm after never shows. Some of the best memories and bonding experiences I've had with each of my girls are of successful bowhunts together. Given that, I haven't read much of your opinion on ground blinds and how you're able to get in there and set up in an ol' buck's sanctuary without causing him to relocate. I would love to hear you expound a little more on your ground blind set up; over a beer some day would be even better! Thanks


I'm sure GG will be around shortly but I can answer some of these for him for a couple of reasons. 1. We hunt a lot alike. 2. I've been all over the land he hunts and understand the system as well as anyone.

As far as the feeders go, I can only think of 1 stand that Steve and his family are actively hunting that doesn't have a feeder either in site or at least in hearing distance. The feeders are critical for keeping corn and activity going in the area. If you keep the corn going there the bucks will show themselves within a couple hundred yards of them. Strategy and planning prior to starting the feeder can go a long ways. You can set traps where buck's will be vulnerable. My favorite stand I ever hunted in E. Tx was only about 100yds from the feeder. It it was set in a way that I could hunt the trails the buck's used to scent check the pipeline and the feeder where it was sitting without being winded myself.

The hog pens are relevant to the personality of the deer. I've had some that deer couldn't care less about them and in some cases seemed to prefer to eat inside them. In other cases they'll avoid them like the plague. With that in mind, if I can get away without using them I won't. If it's absolutely necessary I'll use them.

The ground blind vs tree stand is one where GG and I disagree a little. He prefers them over all others. I prefer a lock on any time I can. That said there's a lot of benefits to ground blinds when hunting in these thick areas. Maybe the most important pro to them would be that if you put a lot of consideration into your set it it is possible to enter/ exit the hunting area with deer in the corn 20 yards away. You can use the tree stand to block your entry and exit but you have to get creative with it when you set it up and do your trimming.

Best of luck to you, Steve will be along to provide more detail I'm sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #1386
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Ol Jooger did a good job with that answer. I run feeders and bucks relate to them but dont spend much time under them. I love ground blinds set up through a big youpon mess so i can get in and out without spooking deer as i feel this is critical to longevity of a stand.

I also have a different trail to hand corn than the one to the stand. I continually watch deer feed facing the trail i bring corn in on and watch that direction.. If i have done my homework, they are now broad side to me in the stand and looking another direction..

Right now i have two cameras within 50yds of a feeder. The feeder camera gets tons of doe and small buck pics. in both cases, ii have a bachaelor group of mature bucks just living in my corn pile but NEVER on the feeder camera.

We plan to kill a couple of them this week. stay tuned for a new story or two..
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #1387
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Goal post still around?
FYI Goal post is dead. My cousin killed him. Great deer ended up with a great hunter who deserved him. No proper ldps. he doesnt want his face all over the net.
Attached Images
  
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #1388
hardtner
Ten Point
 
hardtner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nacogdoches
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
FYI Goal post is dead. My cousin killed him. Great deer ended up with a great hunter who deserved him. No proper ldps. he doesnt want his face all over the net.
Awesome buck. What did he end up scoring?
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #1389
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Goal Post is very nice!!!!
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #1390
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtner View Post
Awesome buck. What did he end up scoring?
I dont have an official number yet but it will be within an inch of 50.
Attached Images
 
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #1391
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I dont have an official number yet but it will be within an inch of 50.


Good stuff! What a stud. Congrats to your cousin I knew he was well deserved. How old as well Steve?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #1392
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
Good stuff! What a stud. Congrats to your cousin I knew he was well deserved. How old as well Steve?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he was six but may have been five.

My dang deer just now got o the pattern they normally hit the first week of Dec.. Im on some good ones. I hope we make three of them die this week. Need a little north wind please.

Last edited by GarGuy; 12-24-2016 at 06:41 PM.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #1393
Tshelly
Ten Point
 
Tshelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Willis
Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I think he was six but may have been five.



My dang deer just now got o the pattern they normally hit the first week of Dec.. Im on some good ones. I hope we make three of them die this week. Need a little north wind please.


I know what you are saying. Acorns were still dropping out of a pin oak the other day. It's given them a ton to eat into late season this year. Good luck on your next 3 bucks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #1394
..Ambush..
Eight Point
 
..Ambush..'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montgomery, Tx
Hunt In: SHNF, DCNF, 711, Trinity
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I think he was six but may have been five.

My dang deer just now got o the pattern they normally hit the first week of Dec.. Im on some good ones. I hope we make three of them die this week. Need a little north wind please.
X2 on the North wind! Pleeeeez Santa

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
..Ambush.. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #1395
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Ill take a north wind also. Just for some weather that feels like winter....
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #1396
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck
 
rseveer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

Congrats to your cousin car guy., beautiful buck. I hunt the thicket and have learned so much. Thanks for sharing.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #1397
Muley
Six Point
 
Muley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Taylor
Default

Thanks for the replies and congrats to your cousin. Nice buck.
Muley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #1398
Joshua Flournoy
Ten Point
 
Joshua Flournoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Default

GarGuy, here in Ohio we can bait, and I do, though I learned very quickly that the only time you have a decent % chance of actually getting a mature buck at the corn in legal shooting hours here is in January when it's very cold and snowy, and even then, conditions have to be "right". Might get one drop by occasionally during the rut following a doe in, but it's not a high % deal. I do get some night time pics, but very few daylight. Out of the 6 mature bucks I've bowkilled here in the last 10 years, only 1 has been actually killed at corn in late Winter, and only because he had a pretty good pattern going on. All the rest of my bucks were killed anywhere from 300-600 yards away from bait, and only one of them was actually headed towards the bait, and it was in January with temps in the low teens and several inches of snow on the ground. The majority of my feeding here has been just "hand corn". I tried a spin feeder about 8 years ago and got a handful of mature buck pics there that Fall during the rut, but very few, all at night, and the bucks didn't look very comfortable being there. After that year, I decided to shelve the spin feeder and just keep feeding hand corn, and I started getting pictures of mature bucks at corn again. This year, I decided to give the spin-feeder another chance, but instead of doing one on legs, I hung it up in a tree about 10 feet off the ground, thinking maybe they might be more comfortable with that. Well, I got pictures galore of does and yearling bucks, but got fewer mature buck pics there this Fall than any other year I've hand-fed corn in that spot. Meanwhile, down the hill a mere 100 yards I'm feeding hand-corn and getting pics of about 6 different bucks, with at least one being mature and a bunch of 2 1/2 year olds. If I only had a camera at the spin-feeder corn right now, I would never know all those other bucks are hanging around.

Only reason I tried the spin-feeder again is just for convenience and so I'm not going out every other day to put out hand-corn.

My hope with the spin-feeder was to accustom my local bucks to it when they're fawns and yearling bucks, and as they get older I thought they'd be comfortable with it, since they grew up with it from a young age. Have you seen that with some of your mature bucks? If they've been using the spin-feeder from a young age, do they get comfortable with it and come to it still when they get older?
Joshua Flournoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #1399
JW
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky
Default Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Flournoy View Post
GarGuy, here in Ohio we can bait, and I do, though I learned very quickly that the only time you have a decent % chance of actually getting a mature buck at the corn in legal shooting hours here is in January when it's very cold and snowy, and even then, conditions have to be "right". Might get one drop by occasionally during the rut following a doe in, but it's not a high % deal. I do get some night time pics, but very few daylight. Out of the 6 mature bucks I've bowkilled here in the last 10 years, only 1 has been actually killed at corn in late Winter, and only because he had a pretty good pattern going on. All the rest of my bucks were killed anywhere from 300-600 yards away from bait, and only one of them was actually headed towards the bait, and it was in January with temps in the low teens and several inches of snow on the ground. The majority of my feeding here has been just "hand corn". I tried a spin feeder about 8 years ago and got a handful of mature buck pics there that Fall during the rut, but very few, all at night, and the bucks didn't look very comfortable being there. After that year, I decided to shelve the spin feeder and just keep feeding hand corn, and I started getting pictures of mature bucks at corn again. This year, I decided to give the spin-feeder another chance, but instead of doing one on legs, I hung it up in a tree about 10 feet off the ground, thinking maybe they might be more comfortable with that. Well, I got pictures galore of does and yearling bucks, but got fewer mature buck pics there this Fall than any other year I've hand-fed corn in that spot. Meanwhile, down the hill a mere 100 yards I'm feeding hand-corn and getting pics of about 6 different bucks, with at least one being mature and a bunch of 2 1/2 year olds. If I only had a camera at the spin-feeder corn right now, I would never know all those other bucks are hanging around.



Only reason I tried the spin-feeder again is just for convenience and so I'm not going out every other day to put out hand-corn.



My hope with the spin-feeder was to accustom my local bucks to it when they're fawns and yearling bucks, and as they get older I thought they'd be comfortable with it, since they grew up with it from a young age. Have you seen that with some of your mature bucks? If they've been using the spin-feeder from a young age, do they get comfortable with it and come to it still when they get older?


Baloney. I had big ones all over corn in Ohio. I put this kid on this one in early October. This was the biggest of 3 bruisers hitting the same corn. (Pennsville Ohio)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #1400
Joshua Flournoy
Ten Point
 
Joshua Flournoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' View Post
Baloney. I had big ones all over corn in Ohio. I put this kid on this one in early October. This was the biggest of 3 bruisers hitting the same corn. (Pennsville Ohio)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've hunted and fed corn in 5 counties in southern Ohio over the last 11 years, and it is very rare to get a daylight photo of a mature buck at corn during hunting season in any of those areas. I don't know or care where in Ohio you've hunted, but my experience is what I stated. Yours may well be different. I know it's your natural dominant personality trait, but maybe on Christmas day you could stifle your need to be a donkey's behind about everything.

Last edited by Joshua Flournoy; 12-25-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Joshua Flournoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com