Anyone here had back surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here had back surgery

I have an appointment tomorrow with a back surgeon. I've trashed my back more times than I can count over the years and usually heal up relatively quick. This time I've been limping around in pain for over a month so it might be time to get if fixed. 6 years ago I went for a consultation and they told me the only surgery that would work for me was a 360 (repair through stomach and back) but that spooked me off. I hunt, fish, work, farm, raise cattle and work a full time job so I am a little concerned about how long it will take to get back on my feet.

For those with experience...

What should I expect for recovery?
    Are you happy you had the surgery?
    Anyone you recommend in the DFW area?

Thanks!

Not knowing the specifics of your injury or disease, I wonder if you have looked into either PRP or stem cell therapy?

Comment

Honestly there is a HUGE variance in back surgeries. I've had two and one was a three month recovery (14" rod in my back in 1993) and the other was last summer and 6 week recovery. My brother just had back surgery last Friday and was working down at his barn a day later. By all accounts his surgery and mine last summer were essentially the same thing. No idea what the difference was. He says he is just tougher!

Comment

I have 2 extremely herniated discs in my lower back that are pushing into the nerves. I've been putting this off for years because I can usually get over it when I aggravate it. I think I did a number on it this time, it is not getting any better. I've had back injections a couple of different times (I know this only masks the problem)

Comment

Had a L5-S1 discectamy last July. That’s a quick surgery and down time isn’t bad, only took some Tylenol 3 the first night and none after. HOWEVER, apparently the doc gave me a good old spinal fluid leak (although they never admit they did anything) that I had to come back a month later for and have a chunk of muscle cut out and patched on the leak (not the blood patch). I was in ICU for 4 so they could watch the patch and keep my spinal fluid at a constant pressure. That was a real son of a *****. Don’t let me scare you, you’ll feel better immediately but I’d discuss the issues I had with your doc.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntz View Post
            I have 2 extremely herniated discs in my lower back that are pushing into the nerves. I've been putting this off for years because I can usually get over it when I aggravate it. I think I did a number on it this time, it is not getting any better. I've had back injections a couple of different times (I know this only masks the problem)
            Sounds like you would probably need a microdiscectomy. I shunned surgery for years, but 3 years ago my sciatic pain got bad. I limped along for almost 4 months hoping it would get better and when I didn’t, I finally gave in. Injections only worked maybe 48-72 hours at best.

In early October I went in my my surgery, woke up and walked myself to the bathroom. Completely pain free. Was like someone flipped a switch. Incision pain lasted about a week. By mid-November, I was back in a tree stand, although I would have needed help on the recovery. All in all, I’d say a 3 month recovery to get back to 100%, BUT, you will feel like you’re 100% after about two weeks. That doesn’t mean you can blow and go though. It was the best decision I have ever made in regard to fixing my body.

This is a microdiscectomy I am referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              Had a L5-S1 discectamy last July. That’s a quick surgery and down time isn’t bad, only took some Tylenol 3 the first night and none after. HOWEVER, apparently the doc gave me a good old spinal fluid leak (although they never admit they did anything) that I had to come back a month later for and have a chunk of muscle cut out and patched on the leak (not the blood patch). I was in ICU for 4 so they could watch the patch and keep my spinal fluid at a constant pressure. That was a real son of a *****. Don’t let me scare you, you’ll feel better immediately but I’d discuss the issues I had with your doc.
              Thanks for the info!

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                  Sounds like you would probably need a microdiscectomy. I shunned surgery for years, but 3 years ago my sciatic pain got bad. I limped along for almost 4 months hoping it would get better and when I didn’t, I finally gave in. Injections only worked maybe 48-72 hours at best.

In early October I went in my my surgery, woke up and walked myself to the bathroom. Completely pain free. Was like someone flipped a switch. Incision pain lasted about a week. By mid-November, I was back in a tree stand, although I would have needed help on the recovery. All in all, I’d say a 3 month recovery to get back to 100%, BUT, you will feel like you’re 100% after about two weeks. That doesn’t mean you can blow and go though. It was the best decision I have ever made in regard to fixing my body.

I may not qualify for the microdiscectomy. If I recall correctly from my last consultation, there is no fluid left around the disc so apparently if they perform the microdiscectomy it will just bulge again over time. One of the questions I need to ask tomorrow.

Comment

I have had two discetomies. Feel free to send me a PM and you can ask me anything you like.

Comment

You might reach out to Nannyslayer (Stephanie). She’s been through this stuff and is in DFW.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post

This sounds exactly like my old situation and solution. And do no regret it one bit!!!!
                        I used Rebecca Stackniak in Plano and if something ever comes up and I need something else done one day, I wouldn't hesitate to call her again.
                        Edit .. They did end up having to do a second surgery to fuse a couple disk and putting in a couple of rods and screws. Recovery was a little longer but not bad.
                        Last edited by Chad74; 05-13-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I’ve had two experiences with regenerative therapy treatments (both PRP): one for a torn meniscus (knee), the other for a torn ligament (foot). With the first, I achieved 100% success. With the second, I’ve achieved about 70% success, sufficient enough to bring my pain to a more manageable level, enough to allow me to resume full activity. In each instance, surgery would have been the traditional therapy of last resort, and PRP helped me to avoid it.

I did a quick online search to see if regenerative therapies were yet being used as a treatment mode for herniated discs and, while still somewhat nascent, there have been some promising results; specifically as it relates to the lumbar and cervical regions of the back.

Below is a link to an article featured in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research regarding a study done on the use of PRP therapy for prolapsed disc in lumbar region of spine. It’s somewhat scholarly and pedantic but the point is, regenerative therapies are being used and, in many cases, it works.

Dang it! I am having trouble inserting the link. I’ll figure out how to send it, perhaps in PM. I am NOT a medical professional but would be happy to share all I know about PRP and stem cell therapies. If this has the potential to help you avoid surgery, I think it may be worth a look.

Comment

where do you live?

I had a L5-S1 fusion(4 screws 2 rods and a wedge) almost 4 years ago, I dealt with pain for years and try everything.(shots, PT, spinal decompression)

I finally gave in and went in for surgery and man I would do it again in a heartbeat. surgery was Thursday morning at home on Saturday, back to work part-time on Tuesday and full time the following Monday

My doctor is Dr. Shaad Bidiwala---the only thing I would suggest is get 2-3 opinions

Comment

In 2009 I had L5 and S1 fused, was up walking not an hour after surgery and was off work for 3 months,couldnt pick up anything over 15 lbs. If I had to do it again I would in a heartbeat

Comment

Working...
                              X