Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which parent taught you/your kids to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which parent taught you/your kids to drive?

My daughter will be 16 in August. She's done her written test and driving school hours so now she wants to drive as much as possible. Unfortunately for her my wife had total meltdowns the two times she tried to ride with her. By meltdown I mean they didn't make it 100 yards down the road before my wife made her pull over and switch seats.

On the other hand, I don't mind riding with her at all. She's not a bad driver and getting better each day. I make it a point to take her in directions that challenge her and it seems to be working. I just sit and give tips when I see her doing something questionable. For the most part I operate the radio and mess with my phone.

The situation is the exact same as when I was learning. I drove with my mom one time and I thought the airbag would deploy from her squeezing the dash. I could jump a rising drawbridge with dad and he would calmly tell me that probably wasn't a good idea.

Is this normal? Are all moms that high strung?

Both

Comment

Dad taught me to drive about 26-27 yrs ago... my mom is a bad driver. Dad drove anytime the family rode together.

Comment

My brother.

Comment

My son just started driving. My wife and father in law have been doing most of the ride alongs.. only reason is I've been on nights for over 2 months. I started him out young on dirt roads he drives pretty good..

Comment

Neither. Drove hay trucks way before I should have. Lol. But with my 5 it will be me.

Comment

Heck, I'm still learning. There's a big dent in the passenger side floor of my pickup where my wife pushes the invisible brake pedal.

Comment

we both did. it sucks

Comment

I always thought that I would be the one to teach them. But when my oldest Daughter (now 25) got behind the wheel and I was across the console in the passenger seat, I was a Nervous Wreck. It made her nervous too. My wife taught them.

Comment

As I’m 22 my dad taught me. Started at the deer lease when I could reach the pedals. Drove rangers and golf carts around our place so that helped. I seen my mom ride with my sister once when she was starting to drive......I told them when I start daddy’s riding with me lol

Comment

Neither, I taught myself. Mother didn’t want me driving her car, so I slipped the keys and took it out on dirt roads when no one was around. Drove friends cars a little, then got a license and bought my own.

Comment

My mom , grandpa and uncle
                        Grandpa and uncle taught me the 3 on the tree and stick driving on the ranch and in the hay field, my mom And grandma were terrible drivers and really didn’t teach me much
                        Grandma was like your wife and would just freak out , useless driving with her

Comment

Both, mostly dad thou. Had to learn on 71 ford truck three on the tree transmission

Comment

We were the opposite with my now 18 year old daughter. I didn't have the patience, so my wife did it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had access to an an old S-10.Drove it all the time.Hauling hay etc..My grandpa hated to drive at night,but loved Lake Fork.Picked me up at 3am dragging his boat(I was 13,and loved to bass fish also)
                              Drove that 5 speed '88 Nissan,dragging a boat,from Mt.Peak-Val's Landing..White Knuckling that ***** the whole way.I'd never been past second gear til that morning..****,I miss that man.
                              He gave me that 5 speed 4x4 Nissan.I drove it to the d.o.t.on my 16th birthday,and passed my drive test in it.
                              Never drove anywhere with my mom,or dad.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X