Rottweiler owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rottweiler owners?

Looking at adopting a 2 year old male Rottweiler. To those who own one, how are they with other dogs outside of the home? Do they do well with other pets in the home? I’ve never owned one, biggest dog I’ve had was a lab. Help me out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my roommate in college had one, was a very friendly dog, They just didn't train it very well. Rottweiler poop is not fun to find in your closet
    Last edited by Cberry; 04-07-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

it just depends on the previous owners. the one i have now acts more like a lab than a rott, but you cant mistake that bark for anything else.
      check out West Texas Rottweilers on FB.

Comment

Whether it’s a chihuahua or a 200 pound Dane, it all depends on how they’ve been raised. At 2 years old, a lot could have gone wrong or good no matter the breed

Comment

Great dogs typically. Loyal. Lazy. Fun. And keeps the neighbors away.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
            Whether it’s a chihuahua or a 200 pound Dane, it all depends on how they’ve been raised. At 2 years old, a lot could have gone wrong or good no matter the breed

That’s my main concern. I’d rather adopt one if I can but I know a male dog at 2 years old doesn’t have many tricks left to learn. I could be wrong.

Comment

Like others said depends on how it was raised. Ours was a good dog, if you where invited into the yard by me or the wife on problem. If you came in with no invitation he would let you in but you weren't going to leave until we told him it was ok. Very protective of his space we had another dog a little Fox Terrier and 2 cats no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                That’s my main concern. I’d rather adopt one if I can but I know a male dog at 2 years old doesn’t have many tricks left to learn. I could be wrong.

Yes. I've owned 5, 4 males and 1 female, all but one were adopted. The best one was a 5 year old male. Once I gained his trust (about 2 weeks) he was awesome. They were all protective of their home and owners. Outside of their territory they were big babies. They were all good with other dogs, even in their territory, but they would tear a cat, squirrel or any other varmint in half, literally. They are very loyal and are truly an awesome breed. They do need a back yard bigger than your average 10' x 60' neighborhood back yard. They are great patrol (perimeter fence) dogs.

Comment

Check your home owners policy. Many will not allow this breed.

Comment

I have had 5, have lost 4 and still have my male, Diesel. Great dogs, very friendly IF they have been socialized properly and early. With an adoption, who knows. Life expectancy is low, 7-8 years. Problems with health can be, blown out ACL's and cancer. I have lost 4 of my 5 to some form of cancer. It is rough on Rotts.
                    My male is fine with other dogs and people as long as neither my wife and I are around. When we board him, he is fine, we are not there. Walking him, he wants to go up to any dog, but not knowing the other dogs, I do not allow it and he does not like meeting people while walking. They are possessive, but a great breed. Longest I have had a Rott was my first at 11 1/2 years, 2 I lost at 10 and the last I lost was my last girl Sophie on Dec 6, but that was due to having a front leg amputated due to cancer, but she had a heart attack that night at the vets. My male that is left Diesel will be 8 in Sept. They do get BIG. Thunder weighed in a 142#'s and Diesel is now 138#'s. Females not so much. Out of the ones I have had, the females were way less aggressive and protective.
                    The first one I bought in 1989 was from some people that had a male and female, did not really know what I was doing, but fell in love with the breed. The last 4 I have purchased from Baronhouse Rottweilers in East TX.I absolutely love this breed, but not sure I would adopt a 2 year old without knowing some of the background.

Any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Comment

Ours is fine with outside our home dogs and people. Unless we tell him not to be.... Like others have said, all depends on training and previous owners.

Comment

You'll need to acclimate him to new people. A weekly trip to Lowes or Home Depot should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          You'll need to acclimate him to new people. A weekly trip to Lowes or Home Depot should help.

Ha ha beat me to it .

Comment

they also make decent blood trackers. the one i have now has found 11 deer/hogs after the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                              they also make decent blood trackers. the one i have now has found 11 deer/hogs after the shot.

I haven’t even thought about that but that’s definitely a plus

Comment

Working...
                              X