Homework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homework

My 2 oldest kids attend a Christian Academy here locally. Daughter is in Kindergarten and Son is in First Grade. Last year my son came home daily with 3 pages of math homework, 15 sight words, and a Bible memory verse. Attend school from 8am-3pm and basically come home and do homework from 3:30-5, dinner, bath and bed. Hardly ever get to play outside and be kids. We stuck through it and even had a teacher conference asking why all homework and to see what they do in class. Well this year it has multiplied. 6 pages homework, sight words, spelling words, and Bible memory verse. This is for both my daughter and son each. To spend $14k a school year to basically be homeschooling our kids is getting pretty frustrating! My wife actually teaches and knows the daily schedule for the 2 classes. Out of the whole school day maybe 2 hrs of learning. Rest is recess and extra curricular activities.

I don't ever recall having this much homework until I was in 6-7th grade. Maybe a math sheet every so often but I also didn't attend a private school.

Am I wrong for or does everyone else's kids in similar grades come home with 1-2 hrs worth of homework every night?

Hate my kids don't have time to be outside playing in dirt and being kids.

Rant over!

Our kids went to private school and had the same experience. That's part of the drill w/ private school. At least in our experience.

It was the same w/ me in 1st - 8th grades. Went to public high school. Hardly ever brought a book home.

Comment

It's a tough balance and your justified. We had some productive meetings among parents and faculty to propose a balance and it turned out well. For a while they were not giving homework on Wednesdays for "family night" activities that they encouraged.

Comment

My daughter is in 1st grade and her daily routine includes 1 book everyday (so 5 per week), 1 math assignment and 1 history or science handout. Avg. time is about 20 minutes. Public Blue Ribbon School.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
          It's a tough balance and your justified. We had some productive meetings among parents and faculty to propose a balance and it turned out well. For a while they were not giving homework on Wednesdays for "family night" activities that they encouraged.
          Wednesday are "no homework" days. Should have mentioned that. Family night/church night. I just can't believe the amount and it's all different. Cramming all the different ways of adding, subtracting, counting etc into one night the kids cant process it all. They are both intelligent but they tend to get different things mixed up. It's hard on them and very tiring. You can tell they want a break and to get outside and play. We have a schedule in our house, always have. Bed time is bed time with an occasional stay up late on wknds or vacation.

Comment

Different schools have different policies. I teach 6th grade science and try very hard NOT to give any homework because I know Math and Reading have homework every night. Some parents actually complain that I don't send homework. Go figure.

Comment

My grandsons have the same thing... one's in first grade, the other in Kindergarten... You'd think they were in secondary school already... It's a real special treat for them to get to come out to our farm and actually play in the mud n dirt and go fish in my ponds... they just don't get to do it much...

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                My daughter is in 1st grade and her daily routine includes 1 book everyday (so 5 per week), 1 math assignment and 1 history or science handout. Avg. time is about 20 minutes. Public Blue Ribbon School.
                I forgot they had a reader as well. Lol... To me this is how it should be. 20-30 min tops.

We are still on tonight's. Have about 10 min left.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  Out of the whole school day maybe 2 hrs of learning. Rest is recess and extra curricular activities.

:
                  Ever sat through training at work that requires a 5 minute break every hour and a 15 minute every 2? I'm getting mad just thinking about it

Comment

Out of the whole school day maybe 2 hrs of learning. Rest is recess and extra curricular activities.
                    That part seems like more of a problem - if they aren't being 'taught' during school hours. However, those 'extra curricular activities' are also part of 'being a kid' - just takes place at school rather than at home.
                    My daughter went through the same thing, but she also played every sport that came along, participated in church activities, and did student council stuff.
                    Obviously, she didn't have much 'free time'.
                    However, all of that prepared her very well for college. She is doing great at A&M and is less stressed about getting her work done than when she was in HS.
                    (Also helps that she was a National Merit Scholar.)

Comment

I am going to say you are wrong for being upset. You and your wife made the choice to send them there(twice). You can make the choice to not send them.

Comment

My daughter is in 1st grade and has a lot of homework every night. I have had the same thought you had as far as wondering if they are learning anything at school.

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                          I am going to say you are wrong for being upset. You and your wife made the choice to send them there(twice). You can make the choice to not send them.
                          I think that's why he's asking others how much homework their kids have. He wants to know if changing schools will result in his kids having less homework, or if this amount of homework is just the new normal. He's asking for others experiences to help him decide if they want to send their kids to a different school.

Comment

My kids are grown, but sometime the amount of homework was ridiculous , public school.

Comment

Hardly ever get to play outside and be kids. [...]
                              Rest is recess and extra curricular activities.
                              Sounds like they do spend a lot of time outside playing and participating in activities...

Comment

Working...
                              X