Talk me out of .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    “Muh seeeeex fiiiii creee mooooor eeez zee best caribur for wong wange chooting een zee word!!” ~Confucius circa 450 BC
    That’s why US Army, USMC, and most low enforcement agencies have used 308 since the end of WWII and still do out to 800 to 1000. They have been doing it wrong all this time. You certainly need to go straighten them out.

The .308 is by far the most popular sniping round, and for good reason. The .308 is not punishing to shoot, has excellent terminal ballistics, behaves predictably in the wind, and perhaps most important is that it is consistent. While there are many cartridge choices that outperform the .308 in ballistics, there are few that... Read more »

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
      That’s why US Army, USMC, and most low enforcement agencies have used 308 since the end of WWII and still do out to 800 to 1000. They have been doing it wrong all this time. You certainly need to go straighten them out.

http://www.snipercentral.com/308-win...-62x51mm-nato/
      I was hoping someone would throw that out there. They also make a decision based on financials. I don’t

They use 300 win and 338 lapua as well. Soooo.

Comment

I was hoping someone would throw that out there. They also make a decision based on financials. I don’t

I was talking with a procurement officer for a local PD. He said what drives it more than anything is the FBI research and what is considered "Normal". This also drives the need for factory researched, tested and real world used ammo.

If you get outside of that with bullets, or with calibers you open yourself up for litigation if something goes wrong.

Shame how lawyers tend to screw everything up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          At the distances you are talking, there’s not going to be enough difference to matter going to a 7-08 over the 308 to justify cutting your available factory ammo selection in at least 1/2. To get the best advantage of a higher BC of the 7mm Bullet you’ll need to go heavier and the powder capacity just isn’t there in the 7-08.

You could take the 308 all the way down to 16” and still do what you want easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          x1000 The problem with these threads is that we talk for years about 1% differences between cartridges and completely lose perspective when someone comes in asking about a good all-around rifle.

300 RUM? 26 Nosler? 308 being basically a boat anchor ballistically? Come on guys, he wants a 20" deer rifle.

Comment

Hard to beat the .308! I do like the .270wsm and the .300 wsm. But .308 is much more all around comfortable choice. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              I was talking with a procurement officer for a local PD. He said what drives it more than anything is the FBI research and what is considered "Normal". This also drives the need for factory researched, tested and real world used ammo.

If you get outside of that with bullets, or with calibers you open yourself up for litigation if something goes wrong.

Shame how lawyers tend to screw everything up.
              Yeah it’s hard to compare military and LEO rounds with civilian stuff. But you can look st F class, PRS, and cross course calibers to get an idea.

Comment

Out past 1000.
                The op didn’t say I want to spend a lot more money to get something that will do the same thing his 308 would do.
                Sometimes we want to be different so bad we do things like that.
                Good luck!

Comment

Out past 1000.
                  The op didn’t say I want to spend a lot more money to get something that will do the same thing his 308 would do.
                  Sometimes we want to be different so bad we do things like that.
                  Good luck!
                  You’re right. He should put a vortex crossfire on the 308. After all it will do the same thing as a Swarovski at 300 yards right?

Comment

http://www.snipercentral.com/308-win...-62x51mm-nato/
                    lol are you trying to bolster your argument with the fact that the government uses the round? because the government is known for being agile and making the most logical decisions based on science and economics... right?

Comment

You’re right. He should put a vortex crossfire on the 308. After all it will do the same thing as a Swarovski at 300 yards right?
                      Now your starting a whole new argument. 300 middle of the day good light. I don’t see why not. haha.

Comment

Now your starting a whole new argument. 300 middle of the day good light. I don’t see why not. haha.
                        It’s like talking about trump with a liberal

Comment

I already know what scope is going on it. Not a name that is always paired with quality but it is some good glass and I get a crazy deal on it

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            I already know what scope is going on it. Not a name that is always paired with quality but it is some good glass and I get a crazy deal on it
                            I was just using it as an example brother. Not making a suggestion lol. Anything you pick for the caliber will be fine at 300. I’m just joking around. No need to get fancy. But it’s more of a want. So go fancy

Comment

It’s like talking about trump with a liberal
                              Well now you’ve gone to far!! The man makes the gun the gun doesn’t make the man.

Comment

I was just using it as an example brother. Not making a suggestion lol. Anything you pick for the caliber will be fine at 300. I’m just joking around. No need to get fancy. But it’s more of a want. So go fancy
                                hahaha I know. but thanks to some of your input and my buddies I am really thinking about the 7-08. I know most shots will be close but it will be fun to try to hit steel at 1000 and something I would like to work up to. I know shooting factory ammo isn't ideal I am just wanting a good all around gun and think either will work.

Comment

Working...
                                X