Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some good info here some not so good.

.308 vs 7-08

Same parent cartridge so the powder capacity will be about the same. If the bullet weights are the same.....say 168 gr the .308 will be about 200 fps faster but it will have a lower BC .618 for 7mm vs 0.489 for .308.

At less than 300 yds the BC difference will never make much of a difference. Period. Anyone that says it will has not spent much time studying it or at the range. The difference is purely academic. Over 300 yds BC is a HUGE factor.

Do you want the flattest shooting hardest hitting cartridge? Go .300 RUM.

This places a 210gr bullet (G1 0.625) at 3050 in my rifle.

Flat, hits hard and keeps energy down range.

If you want a versatile, economic cartridge that will do everything you want with easy to find ammo and relatively low recoil......the .308 is hard to beat.

The 6.5 is good but you can't go with heavy bullets if you choose. The 7-08 is good but at less than 300 it is no better than the .308.

You asked us to talk you out of the .308. At under 300yds a strong case against the .308 can not be made.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      I actually see most replies have said it doesn’t do well at anything but will get the job done. If I missed something, let me know.

Mark, the 7-08, 6.5, etc in my opinion out perform it. However for a non magnum I think a 280 would be one of the best all around calibers you can get. Nosler makes very good ammo for it. Will you find it in every corner store in Texas? No. But it’s easy to buy. For your need to do list, there’s a pile of calibers that will do what you need. I’m not a fan of the 308 as it’s innefficient. It’s not good in the wind. It’s slow. It doesn’t hit as hard as some I mentioned due to these as well. You can run a 7-08 in a shorter barrel and it’ll do fine. As with several others. If a guy wants a 308 then my vote is buy 2!! . But not based on it being a good caliber.
      Where is the like button ? My favorite deer round is the plain, old fashioned .280 Rem. Factory loads are great, home brews are greater. The 7-08 is my second choice. I don't own a .308 for the same reason I don't buy vanilla ice cream....

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Some good info here some not so good.

.308 vs 7-08

Same parent cartridge so the powder capacity will be about the same. If the bullet weights are the same.....say 168 gr the .308 will be about 200 fps faster but it will have a lower BC .618 for 7mm vs 0.489 for .308.

At less than 300 yds the BC difference will never make much of a difference. Period. Anyone that says it will has not spent much time studying it or at the range. The difference is purely academic. Over 300 yds BC is a HUGE factor.

Do you want the flattest shooting hardest hitting cartridge? Go .300 RUM.

This places a 210gr bullet (G1 0.625) at 3050 in my rifle.

Flat, hits hard and keeps energy down range.

If you want a versatile, economic cartridge that will do everything you want with easy to find ammo and relatively low recoil......the .308 is hard to beat.

The 6.5 is good but you can't go with heavy bullets if you choose. The 7-08 is good but at less than 300 it is no better than the .308.

You asked us to talk you out of the .308. At under 300yds a strong case against the .308 can not be made.
        Gotta compare apples to apples. Run the 140 in the 7-08 and 168 in the 308.

FYI I was only pointing out where the 308 lacks compared to the other calibers. I know full well you won’t see much difference at 300 yards. But if I recall he mentioned wanting to play around shooting further. You and I both know what that turns into haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
          Everyone is in entitled to there opinion. I completely understand ballistics. I stated there are plenty of other calls that have better. He is not shooting 1200. 308 has been PROVEN to be one of the most predictable cals in the wind. I do shoot 308 to distance. I don’t know where your getting your facts. Can you share your source. Thanks
          Most predictable cals in the wind.

Lmao. I’m out on this conversation.

Comment

Do it! I have a nice for sale in the classifieds.

Comment

Gotta compare apples to apples. Run the 140 in the 7-08 and 168 in the 308.

FYI I was only pointing out where the 308 lacks compared to the other calibers. I know full well you won’t see much difference at 300 yards. But if I recall he mentioned wanting to play around shooting further. You and I both know what that turns into haha
              And with 140 7mm vs 168 .308 the velocities are the about same......and so are the BC

.500 for the 7mm and .498 .308.

So again not much difference with apples to apples.

Comment

And with 140 7mm vs 168 .308 the velocities are the about same......and so are the BC

.500 for the 7mm and .498 .308.

So again not much difference with apples to apples.
                .473 on 308 and .510 on 7-08.

I’ve shot both past 1000. I can tell you the 308 falls on its face much faster than the 7-08. As I said before, any of these calibers mentioned by everyone here will get the job done that the OP asked about. It’s all about personal preference and future use. Now compare the other that I mentioned. The 280.

Comment

Great Choice..308.....I'm partial to all based on 243win/260rem/308/358win and a few more that I cant think of right now

Comment

.473 on 308 and .510 on 7-08.

I’ve shot both past 1000. I can tell you the 308 falls on its face much faster than the 7-08. As I said before, any of these calibers mentioned by everyone here will get the job done that the OP asked about. It’s all about personal preference and future use. Now compare the other that I mentioned. The 280.
                    I was quoting the numbers for Berger Bullets. You know as I do that different bullets perform differently in different calibers. Berger's numbers are the best I have seen as they translate to real work performance.

Velocity were from Hodgdon and I can squeak more performance out of most loads.

Lets compare the 280 to my .300 RUM........LOL

Comment

I was quoting the numbers for Berger Bullets. You know as I do that different bullets perform differently in different calibers. Berger's numbers are the best I have seen as they translate to real work performance.

Velocity were from Hodgdon and I can squeak more performance out of most loads.

Lets compare the 280 to my .300 RUM........LOL
                      Haha. I’ve got my own to compare to the 300 rum haha.

Comment

The only 6.5 I've shot was a Savage Axis Heavy barrel, and that thing could clover leaf with the right factory ammo at 100 yds. I've got a .308 Weatherby S2 and it does everything I need it to do as far as Texas hunting goes, but that 6.5 impressed me. Not so much the gun, but I like the caliber. Can't beat the availability of good factory ammo in .308 though. Did a lot of messing around with factory ammo with the creedmoor and Hornady and Remington Corp lokts shot best. Shot a big Boar with the Hornady 129gr SST no exit, didn't go far, but still no exit. I'm guessing(hoping) the Corp Lokts would provide an exit.

Comment

Have you looked into a 26 Nosler? I just got mine before the last rifle season and never looking back. Only down side is the price of ammo. .308 is a great round but I wanted something a little different.

Comment

7mm-08 all day.
                            I have one in an 18" barrel for suppressed shooting and it performs just fine.
                            It is MUCH more comfortable to shoot a bunch than a .308.

Comment

Most predictable cals in the wind.

Lmao. I’m out on this conversation.
                              That is what I thought you would say!

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                                That is what I thought you would say!
                                “Muh seeeeex fiiiii creee mooooor eeez zee best caribur for wong wange chooting een zee word!!” ~Confucius circa 450 BC

Comment

Working...
                                X