New Rifle Advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rifle Advice...

So today my father in law asked to meet me at Cabelas for lunch. I thought why not, the wife is out of town and I might find a steal. When I get there he walks me over to the gun counter and tells me he bought me an early fathers day gift.
    Marlin 336W in 30/30, the very gun I was saving up for. I was blown away and very excited at the same time. So I filled out all the paperwork and walked out of the store with my first rifle.

When I got home there was time for a quick look at the gun before kids, dinner, baths, and bedtime. However, once all that was done I got to sit down with my new rifle. Here is where the problems start... The first thing I did was take the scope off and install the hammer extension. I planned on sighting in with the iron sights. When I looked down the barrel something didn't seem right, the sights felt off. Thinking I was nuts because it was a brand new rifle I started looking harder. It looks to me as if the barrel and magazine are out of alignment. However I am not sure if it is the barrel or magazine. (pics below and the gun is unloaded, didn't even get to buy any ammo yet.)

So do I take this back to Cabelas tomorrow, do I need to find a gunsmith to ask, or do I contact Marlin themselves?

It is definitely off for sure. I would start at Cabelas and go from there.

Comment

I would definitely contact Cabelas but I'm sure they'll direct you to Marlin. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly. Good luck

Comment

Cabelas should make that good, but the greater point is: How in hell did that get out of the factory ?

Comment

I used to work for academy, and sadly this is common with the newer marlins. I’m not sure in cabelas policy, but you’ll probably have it sent back to marlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's par for the course with the Remlin (remington-marlin) guns. Seriously, it's really really common for them.

The good news is Marlin can fix it but you'll have to send it in.
            Last edited by TxAg; 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Well, it looks like I will be at Cabelas first thing when they open. I would think that they should have looked over the gun before it was sold. Hoping they will make it right but not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusto 23 View Post
                Well, it looks like I will be at Cabelas first thing when they open. I would think that they should have looked over the gun before it was sold. Hoping they will make it right but not going to hold my breath.
                You should have looked it over, not them. They just grab a box.

I wouldn't waste my time going up there. Call Marlin

Comment

Last time I bought a gun at Cabela's, they were very clear that all gun sale's are final and to look over the gun before I signed. If you have an issue, you have to take it up with the manufacturer. Maybe they can help with shipping, but that's about it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it will be a great rifle when they get it fixed!

Comment

pretty good chance you can fix it at home,,, the magazine tube just pushes into the receiver about 1/4",,, the front band and a small keeper under the forearm if it is even on there are all that keep it on,,,, just try twisting it with your hands a little bit,,, i just reworked the stock on one last week,,, it will probably line up without tools or a return to the store or remington,,, it will not cost anything to try it

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                      pretty good chance you can fix it at home,,, the magazine tube just pushes into the receiver about 1/4",,, the front band and a small keeper under the forearm if it is even on there are all that keep it on,,,, just try twisting it with your hands a little bit,,, i just reworked the stock on one last week,,, it will probably line up without tools or a return to the store or remington,,, it will not cost anything to try it

Thanks for the advice!!! I loosened the front band and the magazine fell straight back into alignment. Again thanks xman59 for your help.

Rusty

Comment

glad too

Comment

So when i worked at cabelas selling guns all gun sales are final. But if you were to have taken it back and been calm well not even calm but it helps the management of cabelas at least in Fort Worth and Allen would rather just help you then there be a big scene made in the store. Thats beside the point

The gun counter manager would almost always send the gun back to the manufacture for repair.

We sent a ton of savage axis back for bent barrels. And a TON of browning x bolts back because the scope mounting holes would strip out at well under rccomended torque settings.

I'm glad you got it straightend out!

Comment

Working...
                          X